Reggie Ragland "Can Be a Star?"

Big C

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

When they interviewed Schwartz for the HC job he was asked if he would stay on as DC if he didn't get the job. He flat out told them no. That was more than a week before Rex was interviewed. Hiring Rex probably made it even easier for Schwartz to walk away but he couldn't do that until he was fired because he would have forfeited his $2m salary. Schwartz and Rex just isn't a good match. Rex is too much the blowhard. 

Not saying you are wrong, but I remember this differently. Didn't Rex interview Schwartz for the DC job? It may have been just for show, but I seem to remember that.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

No it is not a stretch. It was so apparent, everyone thought they were tanking on purpose. 

Beane gutted everything Whaley did well, just to spite him. He is still doing it (see T Rod). 

A selfish GM is never a good GM. 

Why would any GM do this?

What's Beane's beef with Whaley?

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

Yeah, that's what he said.

If the Bills hired an offensive HC, and pitched Schwartz "we have the same awesome DL coming back, everyone will know the defense is yours,"  I think there's a really good chance he stays.

The Rex hire effectively killed that possibility and he was definitely gone after Rex showed up.  But before Rex was hired, Schwartz was still in play.

I don’t want to belabor the point, but that is all pure speculation and not rooted in anything Schwartz indicated during his interview. It’s nice to think he might have made a different decision but, again, there is nothing to go by based on what he said. 

I saw Reggie briefly in a few games and against the Bills earlier this season.  I think he is exactly what he was projected to be coming out of college.  Very solid in run support and average at best against the pass. 

With that being said, I don’t see him ever becoming a “star” given how often teams pass now.  Which probably means he’s a 2 or 3 down player, at a time when Likebackers are getting faster and more athletic.  

I do think that the Bills could have gotten more for him than the 2018 4th rounder.

38 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Theories like this are just plain silly.  He did want to gut the roster and build a team in his and McDermott’s image.   But it had nothing to do with spiting Doug Whaley.  Two different approaches to building a team both in the front office and at GM

41 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Whatever the driver - that 10 months from now we might have 100% flipped the roster is astonishing. Especially given the gm that led last offseason included hiring the new coach.

Did McD tell pegs that his evaluation of the roster was so poor that he’d need 53 new faces in 2 offseasons?

all that’s left on offense today are miller, mills, McCoy clay and O’Leary 

defense has Kyle, Hughes, zo, Shaq and Washington. 

Its possible not one makes 2019

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I saw Reggie briefly in a few games and against the Bills earlier this season.  I think he is exactly what he was projected to be coming out of college.  Very solid in run support and average at best against the pass. 

With that being said, I don’t see him ever becoming a “star” given how often teams pass now.  Which probably means he’s a 2 or 3 down player, at a time when Likebackers are getting faster and more athletic.  

I do think that the Bills could have gotten more for him than the 2018 4th rounder.

Theories like this are just plain silly.  He did want to gut the roster and build a team in his and McDermott’s image.   But it had nothing to do with spiting Doug Whaley.  Two different approaches to building a team both in the front office and at GM

I agree it’s silly to think it’s spite but it’s amazing to see how little survived 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Typical. This is what happens when your new gm guts his roster just to spite the old gm. 

Beane kinda sucks compared to Whaley.  

He has already made several critical errors. 

He has made his mark for sure.

Errors. lets wait and see.

Keep in mind, as mentioned from some of the wiser folks here. Scheme fit is what Bills are building. takes 3 years to get it steam rolling.
Can any body wait that long ?

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

But in a very scheme specific role. He’s be great as a thumper under schwartz for instance but not so much sideline to sideline for us.

for a blow off pick though - I’d take 3 years of him in goal line or “and short” packages and think he’d still be better than most league minimum backups in case of injury despite scheme challenges...

Like.. just keep him on the darn rookie contract

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is not my theory.

It's this guy's:

57 minutes ago, Carter said:

No it is not a stretch. It was so apparent, everyone thought they were tanking on purpose. 

Beane gutted everything Whaley did well, just to spite him. He is still doing it (see T Rod). 

A selfish GM is never a good GM. 

No GM does his job to spite someone else.  Especially the one he just replaced.  Now if Whaley let the air out of Beane's tires; that I would get.

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Decent player who wasn't yet back to 100% when McBeane parted ways with him. Just not a McD preference at the position. He wants guys that can move and cover. Never one of Ragland's strengths. He showed some glimpses last year and I wish the kid well. 

Yep. McDermott wants his version of Kuechly.

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

This is not my theory.

It's this guy's:

No GM does his job to spite someone else.  Especially the one he just replaced.  Now if Whaley let the air out of Beane's tires; that I would get.

Sorry lady.

It doesn’t get any more obvious.  Denial isn’t a valid excuse. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't know many two-down, thumper 3-4 ILBs that are "stars" any more. We'll see.

I am pretty sure that quote was intended to be consumed by the local KC fanbase....they let very popular long time LB Derrick Johnson walk (for good reason, he is very old now and very slow) and many of the fans don't like it that he wasn't resigned.  I think this was more to feed them something to help them understand why they moved on.  I agree that inside LB in this era are hardly involved enough in high profile plays to be "stars"  Unless you make a number of interceptions (not Raglands game) or sacks (not likely when he won't be blitzing much) then you aren't going to be on sportscenter (or whatever highlight media) much.  

I saw enough of Ragland to think he is going to be at least an above average run defender and maybe more....he is an upgrade over what we've had for sure.  

Some posters bemoan the job that the Bills have done drafting players.  Indeed, the Bills have been one of the worst drafting teams in the current millenium, but part of the problem is a lack of continuity in the coaching and management.  New coach, new offensive and defensive systems after you just spent a couple years transitioning to the systems you just came out of.  There are some great players who are scheme versatile, but many are not.  It's no wonder that Buffalo went so many years without going to the playoffs.  I'm not going to complain, but I am hoping desperately that Beane and McDermott are a winning combination that the team can rely on for the next decade or two, and the team can get off of its personnel  merry-go-round.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Whatever the driver - that 10 months from now we might have 100% flipped the roster is astonishing. Especially given the gm that led last offseason included hiring the new coach.

Did McD tell pegs that his evaluation of the roster was so poor that he’d need 53 new faces in 2 offseasons?

all that’s left on offense today are miller, mills, McCoy clay and O’Leary 

defense has Kyle, Hughes, zo, Shaq and Washington. 

Its possible not one makes 2019

I agree it’s silly to think it’s spite but it’s amazing to see how little survived 

Yeah I agree.  I just think they really hated the roster Whaley assembled both from a talent and contractual standpoint. 

Edited by BuffaloRush

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah I agree.  I just think they really hated the roster Whaley assembled both from a talent and contractual standpoint. 

Which is fine for some guys... but some truly seemed “we’re doing this 100% on our own”

ragland might’ve been a guy they were too eager to turnover from the old regime as his contract was peanuts and talent better than most similarly priced guys.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Which is fine for some guys... but some truly seemed “we’re doing this 100% on our own”

ragland might’ve been a guy they were too eager to turnover from the old regime as his contract was peanuts and talent better than most similarly priced guys.

Well the Ragland trade in particular was a head scratcher.  When you consider that Ramon Humber started for most the season, I can’t see why they were so eager to unload him for such a cheap price.  You have to think he could have at worst, played just as well as Humber (who also was a liability in coverage/open space)

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Isn't he an edge setting OLB???

No. He's like these new MLBs. He could play Weakside but he's more of an inside coverage guy. He's like a poormans Luke Kuechly. Think Ryan Shazier or Darron Lee. He is a projection in the middle because he's played all over the field in college. He could cover in the middle like this defense needs, you just have to keep him clean. You have to be heavy or disruptive in the front four and I think the Bills are both. They could use another DT, and probably a stud End but that might have to wait a year.

14 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

McDermott wants LBS that can run and cover. His first year solution was Preston Brown, Lorenzo Alexander and Ramon Humber. He stumbled in to Matt Milano.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So maybe don’t tear down all the buildings the first morning if you can’t start rebuilding them by night? Or some other goofy cliche...

The only thing that's goofy is kvetching about trading a guy like Ragland, who is a 3-4 ILB (and yet another example of why hiring Rex was a mistake) and who obviously didn't fit the defense.  Not to mention they made the playoffs last year, meaning the buildings were well on their way to being rebuilt.

21 hours ago, K-9 said:

Decent player who wasn't yet back to 100% when McBeane parted ways with him. Just not a McD preference at the position. He wants guys that can move and cover. Never one of Ragland's strengths. He showed some glimpses last year and I wish the kid well. 

Ragland seemed a better fit for a 3-4.  Best wishes to him.Wished it would have worked out for him here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Ragland seemed a better fit for a 3-4.  Best wishes to him.Wished it would have worked out for him here.

He is.  Which is why Rex drafted him.  Then again, he drafted a 4-3 DE like Lawson hoping to turn him into a 3-4 OLB. :rolleyes: