last years Chiefs Trade

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I know, but you were making it sound like the Bills made a mistake trading down because teams are getting more this year.

No, the OP asked if Mahomes was a better prospect than the QBs in this draft. I said he either wasn’t a better prospect, or the Bills didn’t get enough in return for moving off that pick down 17 spots considering the returns expected on moving up for this year’s top guys.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, the OP asked if Mahomes was a better prospect than the QBs in this draft. I said he either wasn’t a better prospect or the Bills didn’t get enough in return for moving off that pick down 17 spots considering the returns expected on moving up for this year’s top guys.

Yeah, there's no way the Bills knew what the returns would have been this year.  And the Chiefs moved up to 10 from 27, not up into the top-3.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yeah, there's no way the Bills knew what the returns would have been this year.  And the Chiefs moved up to 10 from 27, not up into the top-3.

Sure and the Bills moved to 27, not 12. I don’t think they got enough imo IF they were as highly ranked. Ftr I believe they were not.

4 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

A topic I havent seen talked about much. Is Mahomes a better prospect than what the Bills could possibly get this year? If so any trade up can/would look really foolish. 

Mahomes would likely be a 2nd round QB this year in this deep class.  Doesnt mean he wont be a good QB in NFL, but based on how he was graded last year, I think he would be behind the top 5 or 6 guys.  Darnold, Allen, Baker, Rosen for sure ranked ahead of him and some teams might have him at 5 while others might have either Lamar or Mason (or both) ahead of him too.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sure and the Bills moved to 27, not 12. I don’t think they got enough imo IF they were as highly ranked. Ftr I believe they were not.

Mahomes was considered a 2nd rounder.  I think they got more than enough for him. 

2 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

A topic I havent seen talked about much. Is Mahomes a better prospect than what the Bills could possibly get this year? If so any trade up can/would look really foolish. 

Watson should’ve been the pick. I’ll admit, I was down on him and didn’t want us to pick him. Shame on me.

5 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Watson was a better prospect than Mayfield. Allen is a better prospect than Mahomes or Trubisky.  Darnold and Rosen probably better prospects than all of them.  I’d rank them Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield.  

Trubisky will have the best career of all

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mahomes would likely be a 2nd round QB this year in this deep class.  Doesnt mean he wont be a good QB in NFL, but based on how he was graded last year, I think he would be behind the top 5 or 6 guys.  Darnold, Allen, Baker, Rosen for sure ranked ahead of him and some teams might have him at 5 while others might have either Lamar or Mason (or both) ahead of him too.

Ha ha ha you thought the entire 2017 class were second rounders in their own draft. Talk about doubling down on bad takes!

Just now, dave mcbride said:

But my understanding is that the Giants, who had a better pick (23), wanted to trade up with the Bills too, but McDermott nixed it because he already had a deal in place with Reid. If we had made that trade with the Giants, no one would be complaining!

I think it's very arguable that 2 of the best 5 players in last year's draft based on 2017 performances were CBs, and that White was definitely one of those top 5.  Name me one player other than Lattimore who was better than White last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft.

Curious where you heard/read that? 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I’m not sure that Watson doesn’t end the best of them. I liked Watson but loved Rosen and Darnold at the time. I thought that this was a great class and a 2nd 1st would get a top guy. I don’t at all regret it. The Bills approached that draft EXACTLY as I hoped they would. I’m not going to be a hypocrite now. 

The reality is that the Bills just have to be right. They are going to get a guy and some of them, not all of them, are going to be good. The Bills just need to be right.

Would you trade Watson today for any of the QB's in the 2018 class today?

5 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I think most can come to the conclusion that Doug Whaley was a puppet for that draft and that Beane and Co, based on how they drafted and moved ahead of Carolina to draft Dawkins, pulled all the strings for that draft.

I would do the same trade again. What I think really threw off this process was the 9-7 record: Regardless of what Beane and McDermott said, I truly don't think they believed 2017 was going to net more then 5 wins. If the Bills did win 5 or so, the trade up would be much easier and probably already complete.

Agreed. I want to meet the person who had this team with even 7 wins heading into last season. The first game of the fans and media a like wondered for the Jets and Bills if that would be their sole win.

I think both understood the goal of QB in 2018 draft at all costs but I don't think they expected the Jets to pass them truthfully or more that IND would not take two 1sts instead.

Regardless of what happens I am far more encouraged with this group because at least they have identified QB as the target and to try and do what it takes to get there. One thing that aggravated me about past administrations is their lack of aggressiveness towards QB. If Buddy Nix were GM Tyrod would still be QB.