last years Chiefs Trade

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If Mahomes came out this year Is still take Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold ahead of him. I'd put Mahomes ahead of Allen or Rudolph. 

Grouping order to me :

Group1 (safe bet, high ceiling, good floor)

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield 

Group2 (risky, very high ceiling, low floor)

Mahomes

Watson

Allen

Trubisky

Group3 (lower ceiling, higher floor, safe bet to be decent backup/average starter)

Rudolph

14 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Knowing what we know now the pick should have been Watson.  All of the QBs were viewed as projects last year though.  Also in hindsight, I wish we traded down with Houston instead of Kansas City. 

I'm pretty sure it's been addressed several times, but the trade offer from Houston wasn't there.  I believe what's been reported was Houston was fine with either Mahomes or Watson and didn't call to trade up until Mahomes was off the board.  The deal with KC for Mahomes was put in place before the draft, contingent on Mahomes being on the board and there were strong rumblings the Saints would be taking Mahomes at 11.

Houston had the year from hell, the hurricane, Watson showing potential then getting hurt, Watt getting hurt, Fuller missed a big chunk of the year, the talent on their team was in no way "4th overall pick" level and one would have thought at this point last year they were in a much more winnable division than KC.  It's just not in any way realistic to play hindsight over which team.

As for the original question, I happen to believe Mahomes would be right with Lamar Jackson in terms of prospects.  I think Jackson is the guy that's really getting overshined with the other prospects, there's been years recently where he would shine as the top guy but he's an afterthought.  Mahomes had/has mechanical issues that really scared teams.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Pre1236 said:

Isn't it pretty much accepted McD was running the draft - Whaley put in the work but no way was he in charge of trades at that point. And it was a brutal return.

The head coach does not negotiate trades. He may have told him who to draft but he wasn’t making the actual deals.

5 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

Projections? He went 10. Projections are media driven. An actual NFL team took him 10th. your statement doesnt make sense.

If we can't use projections or any information that the media gives us, then your thread doesn't make any sense.

How are we to know, since none of us work with an NFL team if Mahomes is a better prospect than any of this years crop?

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Whaley was only nominally in charge of last year's draft.

He  still made the trades even if he didn’t choose the players. GMs don’t negotiate with coaches. Dorsey even said he worked with specifically with Whaley. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If we can't use projections or any information that the media gives us, then your thread doesn't make any sense.

How are we to know, since none of us work with an NFL team if Mahomes is a better prospect than any of this years crop?

well if the Bills take a qb in the first round and trade up to do so we'll know in 2-3 years. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Either the answer is no, or Doug Whaley is incompetent. We only got one future 1st rd pick and a 2017 3rd  in return for moving from a top 10 pick to 27. Brutal return compared to this year. 

Wasn't it reported that Whaley wanted to draft Watson? 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Wasn't it reported that Whaley wanted to draft Watson? 

It was reported that Whaley “loved” Watson. That was pre-draft. Could have been smokescreen to try to move down. Post-draft if was reported that Trubisky was their guy. That’s more believable since he was long gone by their pick. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

That does not really change anything though. Whaley could still have wanted to grab Watson, and was over ruled by Pegs or McD to trade down, even if it was 5 days prior. 

Just now, Mango said:

That does not really change anything though. Whaley could still have wanted to grab Watson, and was over ruled by Pegs or McD to trade down, even if it was 5 days prior. 

I’m not talking about who wanted who. I know they took who McD wanted. Im not even talking about who decided to try to trade down to get the 1st for next year. I’m sure that was McD too. I’m talkin about the return he got for moving from 10 to 27. That was Whaley’s doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Grouping order to me :

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield 

Mahomes

Watson

Allen

Trubisky

Group3 (lower ceiling, higher floor, safe bet to be decent backup/average starter)

Rudolph

I see it very much the same. I'd throw Jackson in group 2 because if he goes to a system that is built around him he could have some success. 

31 minutes ago, Derby Dan said:

Josh Allen is the best pick period

Josh Allen is a huge risk.

I have NO PROBLEM getting him by the way, I'm not against it at all, but he's a "swing for the fence" because if you miss, he's a big miss.

Not every team wants that.

21 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I see it very much the same. I'd throw Jackson in group 2 because if he goes to a system that is built around him he could have some success. 

I actually tried to edit Jackson into grp2 but it didn't load in :)

42 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm pretty sure it's been addressed several times, but the trade offer from Houston wasn't there.  I believe what's been reported was Houston was fine with either Mahomes or Watson and didn't call to trade up until Mahomes was off the board.  The deal with KC for Mahomes was put in place before the draft, contingent on Mahomes being on the board and there were strong rumblings the Saints would be taking Mahomes at 11.

Houston had the year from hell, the hurricane, Watson showing potential then getting hurt, Watt getting hurt, Fuller missed a big chunk of the year, the talent on their team was in no way "4th overall pick" level and one would have thought at this point last year they were in a much more winnable division than KC.  It's just not in any way realistic to play hindsight over which team.

As for the original question, I happen to believe Mahomes would be right with Lamar Jackson in terms of prospects.  I think Jackson is the guy that's really getting overshined with the other prospects, there's been years recently where he would shine as the top guy but he's an afterthought.  Mahomes had/has mechanical issues that really scared teams.

Kansas City was the most consistent winning team in football not named New England for the last 5 years. Not an ideal first rounder to grab.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Grouping order to me :

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield 

Mahomes

Watson

Allen

Trubisky

Rudolph

What was risky about Watson?