Baker Mayfield in big game Vs Ohio State

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Mayfield had a great game, but most of those throws were quick hitters over the middle of the field or roll-outs.  Didn’t see many sideline passes from the pocket.  He doesn’t have Russell Wilson’s arm.  Watson was a better prospect coming out of college.  

Right he doesn’t. Wilson was clocked at 55mph throw velocity at combine. Mayfield hit 60. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Mayfield had a great game, but most of those throws were quick hitters over the middle of the field or roll-outs.  Didn’t see many sideline passes from the pocket.  He doesn’t have Russell Wilson’s arm.  Watson was a better prospect coming out of college.  

He doesn't need anyone's arm but his own. He's deadly accurate and puts plenty of velocity on his throws.

Be patient as he adjusts to the NFL game and learns how to find his throwing lanes. You got yourself a franchise QB.

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

then I guess you just replied and not watched this video.. cause that's a lazy comment.

I most definitely watched it. All of it. And there is a lot more tape on him for viewing if you are interested. Its easy to find. 

Just to be clear, to me Baker Mayfield is a top prospect (along with four other guys) and so there is a lot to like. All of these kids have question marks and things to prove at the next level however. In Mayfield's case one of these is his ability to transition to a pro style offence. A major difference between his college offence and a pro offence is that a pro offence is much more complicated and difficult to execute. One reason for this, apart from the size of the playbook, is the difference between coverage cues/reads, which can occur prior to the snap, or immediately after based on defender reactions, and true 1, 2, 3, (and maybe more) post snap progression reads. As soon as his mind is made up Baker throws to a spot where his receiver is expected to be. Like I said, he does a good job of not telegraphing his intentions insofar as the specific play call is concerned, which is important, but I don't think he is going through post snap pro style progressions. Not saying he won't be able to do that, just that it is a question we don't yet know the answer to - along with how he will do in the maybe 30% of snaps he will take when under centre i.e. whether he will be able to find passing lanes when he is not setting up 7 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage, how he will do against NFL edge rushers or blitz packages etc...

Edited by starrymessenger

11 hours ago, baskin said:

I look at that video  and can only think Josh Allen - given the same play calls - goes 14/36 with 4 picks...

Why would you can the same plays for two QBs with different skillset and playstyles?

Brady wouldn't use the same playbook as Rodgers or Wilson.

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some things I noticed in this video and system he was in.

#1. Lots of planned short routs.. almost west coast offense shall I say.

#2. batted down balls. It will only get worse in NFL.

#3. Great accuracy on the run

#4. He floats in the pocket really well

#5. He is absolutely a throw first QB.

Lots of pro's and con's with this QB.. Still undecided

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He killed a defense with an NFL DC and NFL players all over the field. 

On the plays where they were able to keep him in the pocket and stay in their rush lanes, he was marginalized. Lots of plays moving him out of the pocket from the snap and prescribed receivers. 

hes going to need the perfect OC, major interior line talent in front of him and a heavily choreographed offense that minimizes progression reads from the pocket almost exclusively in shotgun pistol to have a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

On the plays where they were able to keep him in the pocket and stay in their rush lanes, he was marginalized. Lots of plays moving him out of the pocket from the snap and prescribed receivers. 

hes going to need the perfect OC, major interior line talent in front of him and a heavily choreographed offense that minimizes progression reads from the pocket almost exclusively in shotgun pistol to have a chance. 

I like Mayfield, but it’s hard to disagree with any of this.  In the Ohio State tape, there really wasn’t much resembling a traditional dropback NFL offense.  Maybe that’s where the NFL is heading, but I’d trade pick 22 for Foles before I’d trade up for Mayfield.  Would have to build a similar offense around them, but one guy has won a Super Bowl.  

53 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is why I’ve said all along that i didn’t think he would go top 10 because he’s not for everyone,  and not every team is set up for him to be successful. He needs a specific scheme. It’s why I had him going 17 in my mock. It wasn’t a knock, it’s just that he’s not a universal fit. But, if the Jets feel they have that (their OL sucks but their OC is a good fit) and want him at 3, that could happen too. It only takes one team. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

The lanes he had to throw in were so wide, Helen Keller could have passed to the receiver.

I may be very wrong, but I have my concerns about how Mayfield will complete those passes when the throwing lanes are much narrower, the pocket smaller, and the linemen faster.

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

The lanes he had to throw in were so wide, Helen Keller could have passed to the receiver.

I may be very wrong, but I have my concerns about how Mayfield will complete those passes when the throwing lanes are much narrower, the pocket smaller, and the linemen faster.

John o’korn’s nfl comp

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield is going to be a really good NFL QB. 

He made his team better and knows how to get the job done on game day. Combine his intangibles with elite accuracy, and I think you have a guy who has a very good shot at becoming a top 10 NFL QB. 

Regarding balls getting batted down -- I was listening to a podcast a couple weeks ago with one of the top guys over at PFF (I forget which guy exactly), and he said that Baker Mayfield's 2017 season was the 3rd best of any college quarterback season since 2014 with respect to percentage of balls that were batted down at the line of scrimmage (i.e. 3rd fewest balls batted down as a percentage of his throws). If you consider the number of teams in football and then consider the four seasons since 2014, you're talking about roughly the 3rd fewest batted balls in a season out of 500 QB seasons. Maybe some of that is due to the offensive scheme and good o-line play, which opened up throwing lanes for him. However, I think the narrative of him being too short to throw over the line is a fallacy. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is why I’ve said all along that i didn’t think he would go top 10 because he’s not for everyone,  and not every team is set up for him to be successful. He needs a specific scheme. It’s why I had him going 17 in my mock. It wasn’t a knock, it’s just that he’s not a universal fit. But, if the Jets feel they have that (their OL sucks but their OC is a good fit) and want him at 3, that could happen too. It only takes one team. 

I agree.  In fact not trying to ruffle feathers or predict anything... his movement, the offense, his stature, highly accurate arm, improvisational ability.... if you squint he’s a replica of college Johnny Manziel.

I’m not suggesting it has any bearing on his future in the NFL.  But if he’s forced into a conventional scheme and thrown on the field week 1, particularly with a marginal o line up the middle, I expect catastrophic implosion. If he’s brought into a bad team as a savior I expect implosion. 

If hes brought into a team willing to customize an offense to grow with him, a progressive OC, lots of pocket Movement, simple RPO concepts, pistol and gun, and tackles that can allow him to scramble/boot around the edge and a solid run game with some nice RAC WRs on the outside, I think he can succeed. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I like Mayfield, but it’s hard to disagree with any of this.  In the Ohio State tape, there really wasn’t much resembling a traditional dropback NFL offense.  Maybe that’s where the NFL is heading, but I’d trade pick 22 for Foles before I’d trade up for Mayfield.  Would have to build a similar offense around them, but one guy has won a Super Bowl.  

I think you have to have alignment with your offensive philosophy and adaptability. Therefore for the right team he is a first rounder, for the wrong team, he’s not even on the board.  And that’s completely ignoring the potential off field issues which is either a non starter already, or a risk that been retired in the minds of those decision makers.

i have no clue what Dabolls vision is. I sure hope he does though and shares it with the front office before deciding on whether he is a fit for Buffalo or not. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think its hard to tell how a QB does in NFL in transitioning from college. I think if you have a west coast system it wont matter if he is in pistol/shotgun or not.

15 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think its hard to tell how a QB does in NFL in transitioning from college. I think if you have a west coast system it wont matter if he is in pistol/shotgun or not.

Dam near impossible, especially for fans. Even profi number crunchers, The  correlation number I saw in a study that touted it outperformed all other metrics there were in success prediction was .26. 

A lot of it unfortunately, to reiterate others in the anti-farm-betting crowd, has to do with the fact it’s one guy from a 53 man roster and a front office and coaching staff of maybe the same number of people too. 

Its sort of like trying to hire 1 college grad that is extremely likely, ney almost guaranteed to be a fantastic COO for an elite corporation or division based on their college transcript, internships and some interviews.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I want to like Mayfield, but I havent fully come around on him yet.

Going into this past season, I saw Mayfield the same way I saw Deshaun Watson heading into 2016. But by the end of that season Watson had won me over. Specifically with his performances in the playoffs/championship.

I was looking for the same thing from Mayfield. Hoping he'd convince me by showing he has the "will to win" and drive his team to a Championship. Unfortunately, he came up short (pun fully intended).  Putting up these numbers when it mattered most actually pushed me further away from him. I dunno...

C/ATT YDS TD INT QBR
B. Mayfield 23/35 287 2 1 52.0