Baker Mayfield in big game Vs Ohio State

Some things I noticed in this video and system he was in.

#1. Lots of planned short routs.. almost west coast offense shall I say.

#2. batted down balls. It will only get worse in NFL.

#3. Great accuracy on the run

#4. He floats in the pocket really well

#5. He is absolutely a throw first QB.

Lots of pro's and con's with this QB.. Still undecided

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Wouldn’t be the first player to do so to an OSU D, this is how we ended up with Sammy Watkins. 

That D was putrid. Historically one of the worst Ohio state defenses of all time. Also missing #1 corner Brad Roby in that game. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That D was putrid. Historically one of the worst Ohio state defenses of all time. Also missing #1 corner Brad Roby in that game. 

Fair enough, it was just the first thing that came

to mind ?. In all fairness, this past seasons OSU D was great outside of the OU game, and the 55 point Iowa debacle. 

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair enough, it was just the first thing that came

to mind ?. In all fairness, this past seasons OSU D was great outside of the OU game, and the 55 point Iowa debacle. 

They had/have loads of talent and depth but Schiano plays a very complex scheme. He has the players to do it technically, but these are college kids and some true freshmen out there. He got totally out-schemed by both OU and Iowa. 

7 minutes ago, par73 said:

Baker and the Sooners got their butts kicked by OSU in 2016. He threw two picks, and completed just over 50% of his passes.

That’s part of the reason for the flag planting. He was obsessed with redemption. He admitted this. I imagine he spent the off-season laser focused on OSU film.

Watched the whole thing and some other of his videos

1. Great at going through all his reads.  I mean, you can see his head moving on a swivel
  2. Accuracy is good, not great.  Hits guys either high or in the middle of the body.  If the receiver is in motion, you need to be leading the body.  In the NFL, where the defender getst there a half second sooner, you can either get blasted or you lose your YAC yards
  3. Height looks to not be an issue at all
  4. Never flinched under pressure.  Quick feet and always looking down field

His receivers were wide open much of the time.

BUT, the big deal to me was, on some plays, if his first option wasn't there, he knew where the other receivers were, in his head.

It was, fist guy not open, oh, gotta escape, scramble, then look to a spot, not there, look to another, BOOM pass gone.

He looked right where the guy should be without ever looking since the ball was snapped. That is a big deal to me. I was impressed.

Ej couldn't do that and Tyrod couldn't do that.

I agree that Mayfield does seem to have the "it" factor but what scares me is that he seems to get "happy feet" often and doesn't seem to hit many deep passes which is needed in the NFL to keep the D back.  I know I'm in the minority by a mile but I like Rudolph over Mayfield as an NFL player. JMHO

Edited by BuffaloFan68
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Not sure I see him going through progressions. On plays that take a little longer to develop he is good at not telegraphing his intentions and he can look the secondary off but he likely knows where he is going pre snap and he throws to that spot. 

then I guess you just replied and not watched this video.. cause that's a lazy comment.

Edited by PrimeTime101