Richie Incognito Retires Via Twitter - Now Confirmed

Virgil

I am not questioning Incognito's motives at this point for signing a renegotiated contract and then deciding to retire.  I do think that the Gills will seek and should receive payback on any bonus check given to Incognito as a result of the renegotiation.  This may or may not affect the Bills' draft strategy, but it seems like the drafting of an interior lineman becomes more of a necessity rather than a luxury.  Buffalo has some freedom in how they approach it, however.  Groy can play guard or center (or right tackle in a pinch).  If they want to put Groy at center, they could lean more toward a guard prospect like Hernandez or Wynn.  If they want Groy to play guard, they would be more inclined to draft a player who is more of a sure thing at center.  Of course, a number of prospects project to either.  Ragnow is often projected to center, but played guard in college. 

I'm wondering if Incognito's retirement makes the Bills feel a bit more restricted in the draft picks they can part with in order to move up.  I thought all along that 2nd over all would probably be too expensive for Buffalo.  Maybe that's even more true now.  Is 5th or 6th still doable?  we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LedyardCTbillsfan said:

I still think a trade up is coming, however I think it is less likely we trade up to 2 and more likely we wait and see what QB falls and snag them at 6-9 range. But we have to trade up and get a QB no matter how many holes we have.

And if the top 4 QBs are gone by 6?

4 minutes ago, sven233 said:

This whole situation is a bit off.  Ever since he agreed to the pay cut and then, shortly thereafter, firing his agent, something just hasn't seemed right.

This is just a theory, but is there any possible way that Richie, when agreeing to take the pay cut, thought he was simply restructuring his contract for this year and was thinking he was just helping the Bills with some cap issues this year, but still going to make the same money throughout the restructured contract (maybe an extra year).  Was there some sort of miscommunication between him and his management about this whole thing and that is why he is pissed at the contract, and thus firing his agent?

I know it seems absurd that this could even be a possibility that he couldn't understand his own contract, but why would he be happy to stay with a pay cut and then fire his agent and then complain about the contract.  

Very strange.

Seems to make as much sense as any guess

I would like to hear what RI's former agent has to say about the whole thing. Maybe Richie pushed for the new deal so he could take his signing bonus and run. The whole thing kind of stinks. Fire the agent and make it look like your upset at the Bills. Heck, the agent even gets $ for the renegotiation.  I really wonder who pushed for the renegotiation, Richie, the Bills, or his agent? I'm convinced he liked what he saw when Eric Wood got a medical retirement after re-signing with a good sized bonus.

12 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Now you're getting silly. You brought up Richie's age...he was out best lineman last year..period.

His position isn't hard to replace.

Guards don't lead teams to division titles or Super Bowl victories.  

You got it now?

26 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Increases the chance our next qb gets demolished behind the line now, which sucks

I think we draft OL x 2 this draft.  If we need to trade up, trade next years picks. We will have a ton of $$ next year to sign free agents or trade for other teams players.

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

This seriously screws us. We now need LG, RG, RT, ILB, OLB just to field a competitive team. If we trade up for a QB prepare for a line-heavy draft the rest of the way. 

We could use an upgrade at guard but I think Groy can fill in for Richie.  Miller could possibly bounce back since I believe will be running power again.

I worry about RT.  I'd like upgrades at the interiors but I think it can work.

I'm wondering if the "racist remarks" charges factored in here on some level. Remember McDermott's reaction to a question about these charges at a press conference? Just wondering.

Also, Richie's salary now comes off the cap, so we will likely be adding a veteran FA sooner rather than later. It might be somthing other than an OL, but if it plugs a hole, that would allow us to spend more draft pick(s) on the OL instead of elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

His position isn't hard to replace.

Guards don't lead teams to division titles or Super Bowl victories.  

You got it now?

Then you go play G.There is no easy position in the NFL...you do watch Ducasse play????? He 's bad!

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Seriously though- is he back on drugs? 

I know that that sounds like a joke but he’s had issues and the last couple of weeks are incredibly erratic 

Until the past couple of years, he's been erratic most of his adult life. I don't mean that as a slam, but damn, the guy had issues.

And if he's experiencing kidney failure...it can really mess a person up.

In my city, we had a local preacher who started acting erratically. He got into some strange altercation with his daughter and slammed his car into hers.

About a week later, he left a hospital AMA (reportedly in a hospital smock), went into a local taco place and started picking fights. When the police arrived, he was resisting arrest.  When the stories hit the papers, people were giving a collective "WTF?"

His family came out a few days later and announced that he was experiencing kidney failure and was undergoing dialysis.  In the process, toxins were leaking into his body and causing the behavior. He ended up dying a few months later.

If he's needing to retire for health reasons i hope he gets them resolved. The last few years, for maybe the first time since before college, he had his emotions in check.  I'd hate to see him slide back.

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The one thing that Castillo is known for is developing young players. There were a bunch of reports in Baltimore that the linemen were not happy with what he had them doing. That he was too regimented and things like that. I believe that he is not well liked by veteran players who are set in their ways. Across the board his strength seems to be molding and developing young lineman...case in point Dion Dawkins. It is possible guys regressed last year because they did not buy in. Vlad was one of his guys and that is why he played imo. 

Here is what Bryant McKinnie said about Juan a few years ago: 

"Juan likes to develop young players, because that's what he did in Philly," McKinnie said. "He is a good coach and he does help you with your technique, but he wants it done a certain way. My thing is everybody doesn't have the exact same talent or learn things the same way. I don't feel like you can coach everybody exactly the same, not everyone is going to react the same. Five individuals can't do the same thing instead of trying to make everybody a robot. You need to learn about your players and know their strengths and weaknesses and coach them that way. Juan is highly rated, but it takes time to adjust to what he's looking for."

Guys like Kelechi Osemele (2nd round), Ricky Wagner (5th round), James Hurst (UDFA and Bodine college teammate) and Ryan Jensen (6th round)...all guys who developed under Castillo and now have big contracts. You have guys he developed from scratch in Philly like Jermaine Mayberry, Hank Fraley, Tra Thomas, Todd Herremans, Jason Kelce and some (at the time) younger veterans who he took to the next level like Jon Runyan, Jason Peters, Evan Mathis, even Marshal Yanda. 

My point is that maybe guys like Glenn, Richie, Wood didn't love playing for Castillo. I am optimistic that he can mold and develop young talent that has been otherwise overlooked. Guys like Groy, Bodine, people they draft. I really don't like that our line regressed under Castillo, but I do think we are in a position now to get guys that fit and we can really see him do what he is actaully good at. 

I wonder what happened with Miller then. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ok, well just connecting the dots here Dunkirk Don style... 

Josh Rosen was in for a visit yesterday/today. He hates Trump. Richie love Trump.

We must be trading up for Rosen... :P

(relax, it's just a joke!) 

Rosen is in town tomorrow, I think. But interestingly, he is represented by Athletes First. The agents who Richie just publically fired.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rosen is in town tomorrow, I think. But interestingly, he is represented by Athletes First. The agents who Richie just publically fired.

He flew in Monday night and is visiting today

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He posted this 2 days ago: