Dwarfing 1983

The 2018 Draft is going to be the draft that surpasses the famed QB class of 1983.  5 QB in the top 15 picks.  More and more front offices have come to the realization that QB is more important now than it's ever been.  ***YES, you can win a super bowl with a mediocre game manager, but your window is ONE season in wich you hit on a ton of your draft picks, your FA signings pan out better than expected and everything falls your way for ONE SEASON***

With so many teams in need, combined with an anticipated GARBAGE QB class in 2019, we are looking at 6 or maybe 7 possibly going in round 1.  It is crazy.

I continue to maintain the following as I have now for the past couple months:

1.  Cleveland.  Darnold.  I simply refuse to blieve they are taking Jeff Allen at 1.  The games I have seen suggest the kid is not accurate enough.  They may see him as another Big Ben, but Ben completed 63% as a freshman, and 69% as a junior, his final season at Miami of O.  HE was accurate to begin with and got better while he was there....this simply isn't Josh Allen....I would run away as fast as I could from that guy...I think Clevelands brain trust understands Darnold is the superior prospect despite Allens impressive workouts.

2. NY Giants.  Rosen.  ....So, the Bills, Patriots, Broncos, Jets, etc...are expected to offer a bounty for the 2nd pick to take the QB here.  If the Giants had the 12th and 22nd picks.....and having Eli on his last legs....would they not want to offer that to two in order to get Rosen?  I can't stress enough....2019 class is garbage.  Eli is just about done.  They can't possibly know where they would pick next year in a bad year for QBs...and by then they are really going to NEED one.  The MOST VALUE they can attain from the no.2 pick is to use it themselves, ensuring their future with Rosen.  Also....the Saquon Barkley talk is rediculous....if nothing else, this is a DEEP RB draft.....a very good one will be there later if that is what they think they need.  Consider also, just having more picks doesn't mean you get day one contributors or stars.....Rosen is the pick here...not a trade out.

3.  NY Jets.  Mayfield.  The GM and Coach need to WIN NOW with the new QB playing early and often.  Their jobs depend on this.. Mayfield....can't stress it enough.  improved every year.  High completion pct.  TONS AND TONS AND TONS of college reps.  Ready to go right now...he is flamboyant..he is a name....they went to 3 for Mayfield.  

4.  Cleveland gets the first NON QB player of their choice.  It won't be Barkley.  

5.  Denver.  They want the guard from Notre Dame....might consider a trade down, but need a partner that won't take them off of that guard.  is the 4th QB in this draft worth coming up to 5 for?  Denver is NOT taking a QB here.  The coaches have publicly been given THIS YEAR.  The team kept the WR duo, and most of the d remains in tact.  The line is awful.  The guard starts today.  They signed Keenan to starter money to START.  they are trying to win while the window is open, and the coaching staff in place is NOT the group who will be around for their next high draft pick at QB.  They aren't going to develop a guy if drafted at 5.  This staff lives or dies with Keenum now.  

6.  Colts.  Great place for a top 3 NON QB.  I say Chubb is the pick.

7.  Tampa.  Saquon Barkley.  They have some other really nice offensive pieces...this is the missing piece for this team.

8.  Bears.  Offense is set.  They have holes to fill, and pass rusher is a huge need.  They dont' trade out and take Marcus Davenport UTSA.

9.  49ers.....here is where it's at for the Bills, Pats, Chargers, Cardinals.....maybe even Steelers.  SF will be willing to accumulate some picks here to move out.  Who wants Allen?  Rudolph?  Jackson?  The problem with this draft and these circumstances is that Buffalo has to get someone....(YES, they HAVE TO!)  The problem is, no one at the top 3 is going to budge, and then you are going to be considering an expensive trade to 9 or so, for the FOURTH QB of this draft....and if the Bills don't make it, someone will.  This is as good as it's going to get Bills fans.....you move up to 9 and it's for.....ALLEN.  

The fun isn't over....because picks 10-14 then become teams that don't need QB...and Arizona, the Chargers and the Patriots ...and maybe Steelers will be looking at Rudolph.  ....I had predicted in past posts this would be the Chargers moving up ahead of the Cards for Rudolph...but now I think the Pats go up to any of 10-14 to take Rudolph.  Arizona PASSES  on Jackson...and he goes tumbling down to the Saints.  Who stand pat and take him.  

That leaves a final tally of 

Cleveland - Darnold

Giants - Rosen

Jets - Mayfield

Bills - Allen

Patriots - Rudolph

Saints - Jackson

....and now would be a great time to troll and remind you all, Mahomes (and Watson) were just sitting there at pick 10 last year.  Ask yourself, would you trade Tre White and the 22nd Pick for Watson or Mahomes now?  .....or you might ask it another way....would you trade Mahomes or Watson for the 12th and 24th picks in this draft?  ....or another way to look at it...would you trade Mahomes or Watson for ANY of the QB in this draft?

Edited by Zerovotlz
spelling of Josh Allens name.

In what sense do you mean 'dwarfing 1983'.

Is it just on numbers picked in the first round?

Or is it that they will all become successful NFL QBs?

Because I can't see any reason for the title of the OP.

FWIW, I don't have any particular arguments about the opinions of where, and to who the above QBs will go, I think it's a reasoned, and reasonable, analysis (or guess;) ), but I see no relationship to the '83 class being espoused.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buddo said:

In what sense do you mean 'dwarfing 1983'.

Is it just on numbers picked in the first round?

Or is it that they will all become successful NFL QBs?

Because I can't see any reason for the title of the OP.

FWIW, I don't have any particular arguments about the opinions of where, and to who the above QBs will go, I think it's a reasoned, and reasonable, analysis (or guess;) ), but I see no relationship to the '83 class being espoused.

Mostly to do with the 5 in top 15, and the possibility that there could be 7 taken in round one if someone gets desparate that misses out.  I probably over did it a little with the title.

• Like (+1) 1

Referencing the 1983 Draft, our Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly was the 3rd QB picked with the 14th pick. Also, another HOF QB named Marino was the 6th QB taken with the 27th pick.  Again, it's a crapshoot.

I’d be surprised if 3 go in the 1st round. Every draft since 83 which had more than 2 hyped up QBs has been touted as the next “83 draft.”

Theres a way better chance only 1 or 2 go in the 1st. Also, there was 6 QBs taken in the first 35 picks of the 2011 draft, 4 in the 1st. Was that draft just as good as this, 2004 or 1983? 

Tbh, Darnold and Rosen are the only ones worth picking. It would be great if 5 QBs went in the top 10 because that’s 5 good players who were passed down towards 12. 

Just now, Gigs said:

I’d be surprised if 3 go in the 1st round. Every draft since 83 which had more than 2 hyped up QBs has been touted as the next “83 draft.”

Theres a way better chance only 1 or 2 go in the 1st. Also, there was 6 QBs taken in the first 35 picks of the 2011 draft, 4 in the 1st. Was that draft just as good as this, 2004 or 1983? 

Tbh, Darnold and Rosen are the only ones worth picking. It would be great if 5 QBs went in the top 10 because that’s 5 good players who were passed down towards 12. 

There is absolutely no chance that only two go in round one.  It is almost certain 3 go in the top 10.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Giants are not picking a Quarterback. 

I'd trade Watson for any Quarterback in this class except Josh Rosen. The Bills should have taken him at #10 last year. 

I hope you're right, but what do you think about the rumors that if Cleveland takes Allen #1, then the Giants are pretty much a lock to take Darnold #2?

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

I hope you're right, but what do you think about the rumors that if Cleveland takes Allen #1, then the Giants are pretty much a lock to take Darnold #2?

I think from the moment Gettleman arrived they were not going Quarterback. Obviously Darnold falling past #1 adds a dimension nobody was really expecting and I can absolutely see him being Gettleman's kind of Quarterback but I think he might be too bought in now to his idea that he is going to get talent, put it around Eli and try and win this year.  

If Darnold goes #1 I am 99.9% sure the Giants don't go QB.

If Allen goes #1 I'd still say 90%.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think from the moment Gettleman arrived they were not going Quarterback. Obviously Darnold falling past #1 adds a dimension nobody was really expecting and I can absolutely see him being Gettleman's kind of Quarterback but I think he might be too bought in now to his idea that he is going to get talent, put it around Eli and try and win this year.  

I think that is the only real "damaging" thing to happen to us on draft night to make things a little more tricky.. because Allen going one causes the Giants to strongly consider Darnold, and if they decide to take him, Jets snagging Rosen/Mayfield.....

If this scenario pans out, McBeane better be "tryin like hell" even harder and get us into 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

I think that is the only real "damaging" thing to happen to us on draft night to make things a little more tricky.. because Allen going one causes the Giants to strongly consider Darnold, and if they decide to take him, Jets snagging Rosen/Mayfield.....

If this scenario pans out, McBeane better be "tryin like hell" even harder and get us into 4 or 5.

I feel like it throws a spanner because it is not the scenario everyone has neatly been planning around.  If it did go Allen, Darnold, Mayfield / Rosen then you would imagine the Browns have us over a barrel at #4 and we might end up giving up what it should cost to go to #2 just to get to #4.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You've written up so much good stuff on these QBs.  You have emphasized the importance of QB.  

Now you're saying a team and their new GM fresh off being fired are going to think they can get from being the 2nd worst team in the league, all the way to being champs in the time a 37 year old better than average but non team carrying QB has left and be ok with picking their next leader at 32 while their cross town rivals have the guy they could have taken starring in their lineup for a decade?

I'm leaning "nope" on that theory.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You've written up so much good stuff on these QBs.  You have emphasized the importance of QB.  

Now you're saying a team and their new GM fresh off being fired are going to think they can get from being the 2nd worst team in the league, all the way to being champs in the time a 37 year old better than average but non team carrying QB has left and be ok with picking their next leader at 32 while their cross town rivals have the guy they could have taken starring in their lineup for a decade?

I'm leaning "nope" on that theory.

I am not saying I agree with the strategy.  If it were me I'd pick a Quarterback..... but I am convinced from what they have said and done the Giants are not going to.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not saying I agree with the strategy.  If it were me I'd pick a Quarterback..... but I am convinced from what they have said and done the Giants are not going to.  

We will see.  That is for sure.  The only doubt I have at all is if they love Davis Webb.  In other words, I don't have much doubt.

Also when the OP titled this thread "dwarfing" I thought it was a Mayfield thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

Only 2 in the first round?  Not a chance. The lower bound is 4, upper bound 6.  We can debate where the QB talent should be drafted but teams are QB hungry.

Overall this is a reasonable series of events.  The Giants hold all the cards and I am in the camp that they select a QB.  It is an opportunity they can not pass.

There is no QB in this draft worth moving up for.  There is no John Elway or Andrew Luck in this draft, can't miss prospects.  Stay at 12, & hope Jackson or Rudolph is there & grab one of those guys.  Bottom line here is no one can predict the future, everyone of these QBs have short comings in their game, Jackson or Rudolph have just as much of a chance to be the guy as any of the top 4 Qbs.  Like one of the posters said before, 83 draft Kelly was the 3rd QB off the board, Marino was the 6th & they both became HOFs.  It is a crap shoot.  Although I am intrigued by this Jeff Allen, I haven't heard too much about him.