Dwarfing 1983

27 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

you mean Jeff George 2.0 lol

I wouldn’t compare him to George.  George couldn’t move very well while allen has great mobility.  More like a cross between Jamarcus Russell and daunte cullpepper?  Idk.  He’s the 4th QB on my board but I wouldn’t want to go into the top 2 to draft him.  I’d be ok with trading up to 5 or so to get him if Darnold, Rosen and mayfield are gone, but I’d rather just trade up for Darnold, Rosen or mayfield. Might even prefer to draft Lamar Jackson at 12 as opposed to trading up for allen.  Tough call Mr. Beane

Just now, NewEra said:

I wouldn’t compare him to George.  George couldn’t move very well while allen has great mobility.  More like a cross between Jamarcus Russell and daunte cullpepper?  Idk.  He’s the 4th QB on my board but I wouldn’t want to go into the top 2 to draft him.  I’d be ok with trading up to 5 or so to get him if Darnold, Rosen and mayfield are gone, but I’d rather just trade up for Darnold, Rosen or mayfield. Might even prefer to draft Lamar Jackson at 12 as opposed to trading up for allen.  Tough call Mr. Beane

I was referring to his arm strength. Jeff George could sling it! I am a Rosen fan and want him over any other QB in the draft by a land slide. I feel the FO has spoken and isn't interested in a QB like Jackson. They really were not open to Tyrod and seemed to be looking for a way out from him all year and didn't tailor to his game whatsoever. Darnold I don't hate but wonder why he is so highly touted and in conversation for first pick he is still raw and has a high ceiling. Allen is too raw for me and way too many question marks. Mayfield is short but has that fire in him which I like, we shall see if his game translates to the pros.

23 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I was referring to his arm strength. Jeff George could sling it! I am a Rosen fan and want him over any other QB in the draft by a land slide. I feel the FO has spoken and isn't interested in a QB like Jackson. They really were not open to Tyrod and seemed to be looking for a way out from him all year and didn't tailor to his game whatsoever. Darnold I don't hate but wonder why he is so highly touted and in conversation for first pick he is still raw and has a high ceiling. Allen is too raw for me and way too many question marks. Mayfield is short but has that fire in him which I like, we shall see if his game translates to the pros.

Lamar Jackson isn’t Tyrod.  The comparison is weak because they can both run.  Jackson delivers the ball as well as almost anyone in the draft over the middle.  He drops them in perfect position too.  His issues to the outside are real, but fixable.  His athleticism is also a notch above TT. I don’t have to see him run a 40. I know he’s fast.  If he doesn’t fix his accuracy outside the hashmarks, he may never amount to anything.  If he does, he can be great.  If the price to trade up is deemed too high and the top QBs are gone, we could do a lot worse than Lamar Jackson.  

I’d prefer to trade up.....but there’s a small chance the teams in the top 5 place a ransom on trading up.  Especially with us.  We’re desperate and have lots of draft picks.  I’m just saying.  We could get froze out.  Drafting a QB with tremendous upside at 12 (Lamar Jackson) isn’t such a bad alternative imo.  If we nail all of our top 96 picks other than Jackson, we’ll be an improved team.  Then the bonus of having a potentially game changing QB to groom behind mccarron.  I get why some people don’t like Jackson, he’s not my first choice but I love his potential and think he’s more polished than most people think.  

13 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Mostly to do with the 5 in top 15

We'll see.  I've seen that predicted, and predicted, and predicted, and it seldom happens.

5 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I really don't get it either.  I think this could easily be just like:
2011 - Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder
2003 - Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman
2007 - Testaverde, Stouffer, Miller, Harbaugh

There were questions about every QB in all of those drafts, just like there are in this draft.  Just because they are picked early doesn't mean that they're all going to have success.  In every one of those drafts, players could have gone in almost any order.  I feel that the same holds true this year.  There's 4 guys that might be worthy of being picked first.  The 1983 draft certainly turned out great in hindsight, but there were some chunks of stool in there as well.  Do we trade up to get our Todd Blackledge or stay where we are at #12 for our Tony Eason?  We can also skip picking QB and get our Ken O'Brien at #22.  All sounds awesome.  LOL.

Yep!  All hail to the Lux-meister.  He has called the comparator years.

I don't agree about the players could have gone in almost any order.  I think Newton and Palmer had characteristics that set them ahead of the rest.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Chubb is certainly the best player on my board and I think if the Giants stay at #2 that is who they will pick.  I do think they would be willing to trade down.... but it's going to be expensive.  I certainly don't think it is as simple as pick a QB or trade back.  Chubb is very much in the picture at #2.  

I agree.  I did a post a bit ago on the fallacy of thinking teams  will either pick a QB or trade to a team that wants to pick a QB, in which I researched and pointed out how often teams with top 2/top 5 picks actually do draft different positions.  It kind of Ker-Plunked in to a vast Sound of Silence, but the point is still good.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Giants are not picking a Quarterback. 

I'd trade Watson for any Quarterback in this class except Josh Rosen. The Bills should have taken him at #10 last year. 

I think the Giants pick a QB.   This will be their best chance in a sttong class with the highest pick they will have in years to come with an aging/decaying franchise QB

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I think the Giants pick a QB.   This will be their best chance in a sttong class with the highest pick they will have in years to come with an aging/decaying franchise QB

I agree with the logic absolutely. Just don't think they will. If they do they have played the game very well. I'd be shocked, honestly. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with the logic absolutely. Just don't think they will. If they do they have played the game very well. I'd be shocked, honestly. 

I hear you.   Just don’t see how they pass up this golden opportunity.  It would cost them nothing 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, GunnerBill said:

It's not a crap shoot. There are teams who consistently draft better than others.  They have better scouts and better process.  Nobody is going to hit on every pick but it is not some lottery either. Process wins and good evaluation wins.

Look at the history of drafting QBs.  Often times the first QB selected does not have the most successful career.  There are so many variables in evaluating QBs, tough to get it right in most cases.  I am not quite sure given the history of the draft, how you could even argue this fact.  But then I remember you are a know it all. 

Edited by Gordio

On 4/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We'll see.  I've seen that predicted, and predicted, and predicted, and it seldom happens.

Yep!  All hail to the Lux-meister.  He has called the comparator years.

I don't agree about the players could have gone in almost any order.  I think Newton and Palmer had characteristics that set them ahead of the rest.

You are probably correct regarding Newton and Palmer, but both also came with question marks.  Certainly not what we're currently characterizing as Andrew Luck type drafts where there's pretty much a #1 and then everyone else.  Thx for the kudo none the less!

I think the opposite happens. 

Very few big boards have more than 2 QBs in their top 30 players.

The talk of taking 6 QBs, of which 4 of them aren't first round talents, in the first round, doesn't make any sense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/4/2018 at 5:43 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I hear you.   Just don’t see how they pass up this golden opportunity.  It would cost them nothing 

It would cost them the chance to take a player they may perceive as a franchise-changer at another position, and then take a shot on a promising Eli-replacement later on.

It all depends upon how they see Eli.  If they see him as still effective, then the logical choice is to put pieces around him and take a shot on a later guy to develop.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The talk of taking 6 QBs, of which 4 of them aren't first round talents, in the first round, doesn't make any sense. 

I'm not sure that 4 of them aren't 1st round talents in this day and age where QB are overvalued, but I personally do believe we won't see as many QB go flying off the board at the top of the 1st as some believe.

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

6 QB’s aren’t going in the first.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2018 at 2:44 AM, Zerovotlz said:

Ask yourself, would you trade Tre White and the 22nd Pick for Watson or Mahomes now? 

Yeah

Wait I mean no, you worded that strangely. Almost got me.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks