Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

i thought these QB's weren't worth trading up for? <_<

I wonder if these folks were also against taking Watson or Mahomes.  What criteria and combination of circumstances would allow a trade-up by their lights?  Seems to me many of them would never pick a qb early in the first apart from a magical synchronicity where the team has the worst record and a can't miss prospect is available at the top of the draft.  

On 4/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

Did you really think that through before you posted it?

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, we want to place a rookie QB in the middle of this mess, probably on the bench for a year, and expect a big turnaround in the next 3 - 4 years. That's absolutely what we want to do, and it's frankly the best available plan.

Then how come it sounds like a recipe for disaster?   You say want the kid to sit..   Well, if the season starts 2-4 under McCarron, guess what?

- Your rookie is GOING IN.

Behind an O-line that can't protect him... Receiving targets that may be unreliable.. Followed by defense that can't offer support.   Who, in their right mind, thinks this is a good plan? 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is the problem you guys keep avoiding, that you can't just become an  8 - 10 win team, just missing or bombing out of the playoffs early and then trade up to get an excellent QB. In years where there's one or two good QBs they're even less likely to get out of the top one or two picks and generally the teams there want QBs. This was the Steelers for around 15 years before Roethlisberger. Great team except at QB. Not good enough to win a title. Unable to get a QB till their worst year gave them the #11 pick in a year that luckily had three terrific prospects. A triumph of luck.

Ok, I'll agree with this.. -In part...  I really thought our new HC-GM needed that foundation "fail" to address the QB position.... You use the word "tank" around here, and people get all sensitive... However, in retrospect, a scripted season wouldn't have been that bad of an idea...  I wanted a high pick QB but didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for him....  Nevertheless, McBeane did what they did, and it's over.. Now that price MUST be paid if they want "their guy"...  Two top rounds of talent WIPED OUT for one kid who might not even work out.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a loser of a strategy. You get your QB when you have a chance. We have a terrific chance this year.

Go your way and yeah, you'll bring our QB into the best possible situation but that QB will be one of the Tommy Maddoxes and the Mark Malones and the Kordell Stewarts.

...AND here we are at "close your eyes and cross your fingers" again... How many Ryan Leaf's, Akili Smith's,  Matt Leinhart's, Andre Ware's, and Jamarcus f___ing Russell's have to get drafted before somebody trips and falls on a damn CLUE?

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, bills in oregon said:

Not sure if you understand what I mean Phillies defense was built before they traded up. We have way too many holes and empty spots where we need people that are stoners before we draft a rookie QB. Besides you could potential he give up five players for one player that me not see the field for three years.

So a playoff team that had a very decent to good defense last year and made additions on that side of the ball this offseason as well all of the sudden has so many holes and cant challenge for the playoffs for THREE years if they trade up for a QB?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So a playoff team that had a very decent to good defense last year and made additions on that side of the ball this offseason as well all of the sudden has so many holes and cant challenge for the playoffs for THREE years if they trade up for a QB?

:blink:

You can't seriously be talking about the Bills?... The team had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year... Ranked 28th I believe... Pass defense sucked too... 20th or something like that.

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

You can't seriously be talking about the Bills?... The team had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year... Ranked 28th I believe... Pass defense sucked too... 20th or something like that.

Thanks. This team backed into the playoffs and it took a miracle td pass to seal it. Please fans  don't think this team only has a quarterback problem.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Radar said:

Thanks. This team backed into the playoffs and it took a miracle td pass to seal it. Please fans  don't think this team only has a quarterback problem.

It clearly doesn't.  Law of averages finally worked so that a mediocre at best team laden with hardworking vets squeaked in.  Don't care.  Getting the qb is still priority #1.

Edited by Dr. Who

Roster/Depth wise we are in a worse spot than we were 2 years ago. This team might miss the playoffs the next 2-3 years regardless if we trade up. For the first time in my lifetime, the Bills had most of the calls go their way. That is how we got to 9-7 and backed into the playoffs. We could have easily been a 6 or 7 win team. We need a QB in a bad way, and we have since Kelly. 

If the FO believes a player can be the guy for the next 10 years, nobody will care what we give up for him. Go get him

This could be one of the dumbest OPs I have ever read. Ok, so we might not make the playoffs the next 3 years, but we could then be in the playoff hunt for the next 15 years. How did not drafting a 1st round QB work out for us the last 17 years? But we sure built a strong foundation for no one to lead. So stupid. I’m not for euthanizing people, but the OP may change my stance. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

And again it was a playoff team Yes or no?

so How does trading up to draft a legit QB set this team back three years again with 60+M in cap space next year?

How does trading up mean Guarantee NO playoffs for 3 years?

This topic was for the edification of all of the chicken sheet  fans who want the status quo , and don't want to trade up . The reasons given are pathetic . Beane said we were going to get a QB , why not a good one. Yes, it is a gamble, but you do not get to play in the pool unless you want to get wet.

Edited by Wily Dog
puns

1 hour ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

This could be one of the dumbest OPs I have ever read. Ok, so we might not make the playoffs the next 3 years, but we could then be in the playoff hunt for the next 15 years. How did not drafting a 1st round QB work out for us the last 17 years? But we sure built a strong foundation for no one to lead. So stupid. I’m not for euthanizing people, but the OP may change my stance. 

You're making a awfully big assumption that the player we trade up for will actually be a franchise QB.

But I'm the dumb one. :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Madmax09 said:

Eagles moved up to 2 and won a super bowl in 2 yrs. 

Yes, that happens a lot, doesn't it?

15 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

You're making a awfully big assumption that the player we trade up for will actually be a franchise QB.

Well, it’s time to try something different because it’s been 22 yrs without a Qb. 

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Let’s play a little game... the last time the Bills won a playoff game was with which QB? And in what round did we draft that QB? Now, how many QBs have we drafted in the first round since then? Like I said, saying we won’t make the playoffs for a couple years if we trade up for a top QB is one of the dumbest thing I have ever read, especially on a Bills forum. So dang dumb. 

I respect the OP’s conviction to his stance, I just find it backwards. A real QB makes everyone better. Remember how everyone was talking about The Rams and Eagles prior to getting Goff and Wentz?? Neither does anyone else. It was the QB who unlocked  their agency. We have played the “let’s build a strong defense and Oline” game a long time while starting Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jeff Tuel enough. Not sure why anyone wants to stay that course.

of course the difference will be if our scouts know who’s gonna be good. If they see a 12year starter then you do it. I’m not proposing a mismanaged situation like what Andrew Luck has suffered, but even they have more reason for hope.