Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

17 hours ago, Pete said:

It is a well calculated, educated guess.  You pick the QB- and I pick Roquan.  Lets see who makes probowl

An all pro LB Does nothing for a team

AN All Pro QB means your team is a perennial playoff contender. 

8 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Say we do this instead of reaching for a QB:

Round 1 Pick 12:  James, Derwin, SS/FS, Florida State 
Round 1 Pick 22:  Vander Esch, Leighton, OLB/ILB, Boise State
Round 2 Pick 21:  Lauletta, Kyle, QB, Richmond
Round 2 Pick 28 (PITT):  Chark, DJ, WR, LSU 
Round 3 Pick 1:  Sutton, Courtland, WR, Southern Methodist 
Round 3 Pick 28 (PITT):  Christian, Geron, OT, Louisville 
Round 3 Pick 32:  Settle, Tim, DT, Virginia Tech 
Round 4 Pick 21:  Griffin, Shaquem, OLB, Central Florida 
Round 5 Pick 29:  Scarbrough, Bo, RB, Alabama 
Round 6 Pick 13:  Dickson, Michael, P, Texas 

Now that's a draft that will plug some holes. Then next year you have the possibility of Lauletta, McCarron, or even Peterman stepping up, or you draft another QB or go after one in FA/trade.

Trust me, I'd love to trade up for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield, too, but I just think the cost is going to be too high.

It's a conundrum, I know....

That draft gets you a 6-10 to 8-8 record every year. In 3-4 years when half of those players hit UFA and the other 25% turn out to be less than predicted. you are sitting here doing this same stupid song and dance over and over again. 

21 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

I'm with you to an extent if they are to move up if they needed to give a few of this years picks away i would be good with that but not give away enough to jeopardize this & next years drafts that IMHO would be foolish on a none guaranteed pick !

I think AJ will be a very good QB for the team better than a lot of fans think he will be & that if they use this years picks as you said to build the team if a realistic situation to move up doesn't come around then that would really benefit the teams future !

Next year with all the cap they will have they can either look to FA & get a proven QB or do some finagling to trade or upgrade IF AJ winds up to be less than expected ...

GO Bills !! 

14 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Brewing doing what? Standing on the sidelines for 4 seasons holding a clipboard?

I can make a very long list of QB’s that have done that and turned out to be no good at all.

Either you are or you aren’t. 

That just does not follow. It's like saying that of the people who get an education, many fail anyway. Therefore the education doesn't help anyone at all, you either are a failure or you're not and nobody needs an education. It simply does not follow. 

Nobody is saying that sitting on the sidelines for a while will help absolutely everybody succeed. Some people simply don't have the capacity to be a successful QB. But there absolutely are some people who are helped by sitting. Aaron Rodgers is one. Carson Palmer is another. And there are plenty more.

On Peter King's podcast that I posted yesterday about Josh Allen, NFL QB coaching guru Jordan Palmer makes a very convincing case that every QB out there would be helped by a year to sit. He acknowledges there are political and practical reasons that will never happen for many QBs, but says ideally every college QB would get that time. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but he's absolutely right that many young guys can benefit tremendously.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Now that's a draft that will plug some holes. Then next year you have the possibility of Lauletta, McCarron, or even Peterman stepping up, or you draft another QB or go after one in FA/trade.

Trust me, I'd love to trade up for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield, too, but I just think the cost is going to be too high.

You're right, the cost may be too high. They should do it anyway.

Unless the demands are all our picks from the first three rounds and our next three 1st rounders besides, we should do it anyway.

Those guys simply DO NOT make us Super Bowl contenders on a consistent basis a few years down the line, not without a franchise QB they don't. And that's the goal. Nothing less.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Except we could do a bunch of this AND get our QB? Why are we adding in picks we wouldn't be giving up as part of the consequence? If we give up the maximum projected which is 3 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd in return for a 1st rounder, we still have 12 picks for the next two years to fill holes instead of 16.

Edited by What a Tuel

Yes, I agree and have another thread which is along the same lines.  We have a lot of holes and that is what the draft picks should be used to fix, unless a very good QB falls into our laps.  Spending everything to move up for a 50% shot at Mr. Wonderful is foolish.  Mr. Wonderful might be a bust just on his own, and since he would be playing with a "B" team supporting cast and defense, he would be wasted. 

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yes, I agree and have another thread which is along the same lines.  We have a lot of holes and that is what the draft picks should be used to fix, unless a very good QB falls into our laps.  Spending everything to move up for a 50% shot at Mr. Wonderful is foolish.  Mr. Wonderful might be a bust just on his own, and since he would be playing with a "B" team supporting cast and defense, he would be wasted. 

In 22 years, since Jim Kelly retired, a QB hasn't fallen into the Bills lap. It led to a 17 year playoff drought. That's really your plan?

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

In 22 years, since Jim Kelly retired, a QB hasn't fallen into the Bills lap. It led to a 17 year playoff drought. That's really your plan?

No, my plan is to have a decent QB fall to us at #12. If not we draft somebody in the 2nd round or the #22 pick, and try again next year with a better roster in place.   We wind up with a decent QB and a strong team and win the division as Brady gets injured and retires.  Does that work for you?

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

No, my plan is to have a decent QB fall to us at #12. If not we draft somebody in the 2nd round or the #22 pick, and try again next year with a better roster in place.   We wind up with a decent QB and a strong team and win the division as Brady gets injured and retires.  Does that work for you?

So a decent QB is you plan... seriously? 

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not to mention we have tried playing the "fill the holes on the team" game during that time. Like really tried. It was never enough. The vast consensus of what held us back during these years was lack of a QB. Even if we just get one on our roster and even if we don't fill those holes through the draft for 2 years because of it, we can always fill those holes in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and free agency. We won't be in the position we are in now for a long while.

Edited by What a Tuel

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

There is no hole on the team bigger ( or harder to fix) than the one at QB. Anything else can be found, including WR. If the pick is a bust, you draft another one in a couple years. That's much easier to do than it was pre- rookie cap. Get a QB when you can. That's this year. 

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Not to mention we have tried playing the "fill the holes on the team" game during that time. Like really tried. It was never enough. The vast consensus of what held us back during these years was lack of a QB. Even if we just get one on our roster and even if we don't fill those holes through the draft for 2 years because of it, we can always fill those holes in 2020, 2021, 2022 and free agency. We won't be in the position we are in now for a long while.

No, no, all the Bills need is a decent QB. Not good or great... just decent. You know one that doesn't turn the ball over, keeps the game manageable :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Not sure, but I believe in the 17 years since Kelly has left we've resigned 2 first round picks. 

If you think that we missed the playoffs for 17 years because we didn't draft the right QB, you are missing the larger point. 

23 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

I agree our talent level is not good, there are only 3 player on this roster that I would trade for in Hughes, Shady and White. I don't feel their is a down side to trading up, down or staying put.

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Not sure, but I believe in the 17 years since Kelly has left we've resigned 2 first round picks. 

If you think that we missed the playoffs for 17 years because we didn't draft the right QB, you are missing the larger point. 

On the contrary, almost all of them resigned :lol:

But really, I know Dareus got a 2nd contract. McKelvin got a 2nd Contract. Lee Evans got an extension. Clements got a 1 year tender. Maybe more? Not sure.

16 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

So you are going on record right now and saying the Bills had the playoff drought because they missed on drafting and that was more detrimental than missing on QB?