4-3: Jason La Canfora on WGR

4-3: Jason LaCanfora on WGR (13:10)

CBS Sports' NFL reporter @JasonLaCanfora joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR!

La Canfora - the #Bills didn't get to 12 to come up just short. They want to get up to have a chance to pick one of the top quarterbacks of the NFL Draft. There will be ample opportunity to get the chance to move up, but their have their work cut out for them.

La Canfora - With the Giants, I think Dave Gettleman's wildest dream is to move down a few spots to fill other holes on the roster. Five is probably as far back as you can go to get someone like Barkley or Chubb. #Bills

La Canfora - there could be five quarterbacks off the board before the 12th pick in the Draft. Some say that there are only 18-21 true first round picks in this year's draft. The #Bills and Browns have been proactive on the market, can't count out a move there.

La Canfora - If Denver is not going to trade up for a QB, they might have the best pick of players outside of quarterback if the Giants and Browns move out of their picks. I don't think they will be taking a QB this year. They have a lot of holes to fill. #Bills

La Canfora - I wouldn't rule out the Broncos moving down as far as 12. 5 is another sweet spot you circle, and you see what the Broncos need. That trade may not happen until draft day. #Bills

La Canfora - it could be a wild draft. I think the flurry of activity we saw before the opening of the league year will be indicative to what we could see before the NFL Draft. #Bills

La Canfora - I do think the Giants are trading Odell Beckham Jr. I don't think that would preclude them from trading down either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

CBS Sports' NFL reporter @JasonLaCanfora joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR!

La Canfora - the #Bills didn't get to 12 to come up just short. They want to get up to have a chance to pick one of the top quarterbacks of the NFL Draft. There will be ample opportunity to get the chance to move up, but their have their work cut out for them.

La Canfora - With the Giants, I think Dave Gettleman's wildest dream is to move down a few spots to fill other holes on the roster. Five is probably as far back as you can go to get someone like Barkley or Chubb. #Bills

La Canfora - there could be five quarterbacks off the board before the 12th pick in the Draft. Some say that there are only 18-21 true first round picks in this year's draft. The #Bills and Browns have been proactive on the market, can't count out a move there.

La Canfora - If Denver is not going to trade up for a QB, they might have the best pick of players outside of quarterback if the Giants and Browns move out of their picks. I don't think they will be taking a QB this year. They have a lot of holes to fill. #Bills

La Canfora - I wouldn't rule out the Broncos moving down as far as 12. 5 is another sweet spot you circle, and you see what the Broncos need. That trade may not happen until draft day. #Bills

La Canfora - it could be a wild draft. I think the flurry of activity we saw before the opening of the league year will be indicative to what we could see before the NFL Draft. #Bills

La Canfora - I do think the Giants are trading Odell Beckham Jr. I don't think that would preclude them from trading down either.

I thought it was a great interview and cements that the Bills are going to move heaven and earth to get in the top 5. Of course, it will spur 10 more Rosen or Mayfield threads. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And La Conjecture stikes again. Now we know none of this will happen

3 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

23 days. I am going nuts. This sucks waiting. I want the draft like yesterday

I can't wait until people stop posting new threads every five minutes about what Buffalo will do, what they want them to do, and what they're in outright fear they're going to do.

I think it's pretty clear Cleveland seems like an ideal landing spot for Odell, with his connections to the team (Landry & college coach Henry).  #4 seems like a massive overpay for him.  Enter the Bills.

We get #2

Giants get #4 / #12 / 2019 Bills 1st / #53

Browns get Beckham / #22

Maybe some later picks get shuffled, but the premise is simple.  The Giants only move back 2 spots, get pick #12 and a 2019 1st for Beckham (plus a 2nd).  Browns move back 18 spots from 4 to 22 but add Beckham.  We get pick #2, giving up 3 1sts and a 2nd, but still have picks 56 / 65, so basically still get a full draft and are only down 1 pick next year.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I can't wait until people stop posting new threads every five minutes about what Buffalo will do, what they want them to do, and what they're in outright fear they're going to do.

Just wait until after the draft is over.. Then you’ll see post after post about how all the picks will be busts 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think it's pretty clear Cleveland seems like an ideal landing spot for Odell, with his connections to the team (Landry & college coach Henry).  #4 seems like a massive overpay for him.  Enter the Bills.

We get #2

Browns get Beckham / #22

Maybe some later picks get shuffled, but the premise is simple.  The Giants only move back 2 spots, get pick #12 and a 2019 1st for Beckham (plus a 2nd).  Browns move back 18 spots from 4 to 22 but add Beckham.  We get pick #2, giving up 3 1sts and a 2nd, but still have picks 56 / 65, so basically still get a full draft and are only down 1 pick next year.

I agree this is a cool trade that all parties seem to win.

The only problem is that 3-way trades almost NEVER happen in the NFL.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't see OBJ coming to the Bills with Beane and McDermott calling the shots.  The Rams make a lot more sense as a possible destination. 

OBJ doesn’t go to the Bills in that deal. He goes to the Browns...

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We get #2

Browns get Beckham / #22

I like it, a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We get #2

Browns get Beckham / #22

Substitute 65 and a 2019 2nd for that 2019 1st and I’m in. I wouldn’t include the 2019 1st unless it was a last resort. Giants get 4, 12, 53, 65, 2019 2nd 

I used to discredit LaCanfora a lot, however... I'm convinced he has a pretty solid source on the Bills. He was the first to report that both Rex and Whaley would be gone after 2016 if they didn't make the playoffs. He was saying this at the end of the 2015 season. He wrote that there was some ultimatum coming from ownership... that was never verified as true and was denied consistently by the Pegulas and anyone who was asked about it... but he was indeed correct that the team was prepared to move on from Rex and Whaley after 2016 if they missed the playoffs. 

I'm not a fan of the guy. He has a snarky demeanor and "holier than thou" attitude, as many media members seem to have. If anyone out there tries to interact with these guys on Twitter they know what I'm talking about. He's the type of reporter that will pat himself on the back whenever he's right, ignore/block people when they call him out for being wrong, engage with trolls and try to come off looking superior, but won't bother to respond to anyone with a decent question/argument. 

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Substitute 65 and a 2019 2nd for that 2019 1st and I’m in. I wouldn’t include the 2019 1st unless it was a last resort. Giants get 4, 12, 53, 65, 2019 2nd 

I completely agree, but I'm not going to quibble if it gets the deal done.  Either way the Giants are doing very well on the traditional value chart.  Considering they are likely getting the same player at 4 as at 2, they are basically getting #12 + more picks for Beckham, which is a very strong return for a guy with his personality and contract demands.

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You forgot what they feel they might do.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought the "as many as 5 qbs could be gone before 12"

This really IS a QB draft

I think it's a combo of what people think about these QBs and the other players available to draft.  There's no "blue chip" WR available, no franchise LT, no lock down corner.