Jerry Hughes likes Bills Offseason

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you’re overrating his year last year.  He wasn’t dreadful but far too often, our pass rush was not good.  Overall, our defense wasn’t good.  He is one of the highest paid players on the team and I expect more out of him.  Add to that, he tales some of the dumbest penalties ever.

i don’t want him cut or anything. I just want more.

Here's my take - he beat guys around the edge constantly all season, but lost out on a ton of sacks because the center of our line was so bad at pushing the pocket back that QBs were able to step up all year and avoid his mitts (the final Dolphins game was typical). Basically, he destroyed guys via outside moves all season. With a motivated a Dareus and a younger Kyle in there, he'd have had a double digit sack season. LUtuleilei is that guy who can push the pocket and make it hard to step up, so I expect more sacks next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Guys, Hughes was supposed to collapse the sides and the middle of the pocket. 

Yeah, exactly. It would be hard to name a handful of teams with worse pass rushers than Slack Lawson. Hughes is fine, he just can't do it by himself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But unfortunately, the season is 16 weeks or else Fitz would have a MVP trophy and Jauron would have a 2nd Coty award. :)

I'm not really qualified to talk too authoritatively on his play after the bye week because I didn't do any film review in the last two months of the season.

Just saying, that dude was better than the stats showed early on.

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah, exactly. It would be hard to name a handful of teams with worse pass rushers than Slack Lawson. Hughes is fine, he just can't do it by himself.

I'm just parroting what I've heard, but I think the issue is more than Lawson, that the interior linemen were not either keeping their point of attack, or even better, collapsing the middle towards the QB's face. Or the whole QB. But ideally his face. 

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

In terms of how he impacted gameplanning in the early part of the season, he was massively effective. After the first 5-6 weeks, I was leading the "Jerry Hughes for the Pro Bowl" campaign. Stats might not show that much but tape don't lie.

In weeks 5-6 our defense was looking like a top unit.  Then something happened.  Pass rushers struggle when your defense allows 250 yards rushing a game. 

My take away is that if Hughes is your only threat in pressuring the QB, then you're gonna have a bad time.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

In weeks 5-6 our defense was looking like a top unit.  Then something happened.  Pass rushers struggle when your defense allows 250 yards rushing a game. 

My take away is that if Hughes is your only threat in pressuring the QB, then you're gonna have a bad time.

I think there are a few edge guys that can still wreck **** in isolation and Jerry isn't one of those guys. I think the Murphy signing gives the rush a better chance of being productive, especially if you can utilize Shaq as a run-downs player and keep Trent fresh.

Edited by Blokestradamus

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

It could be he's happy because even after a year in which he had almost ZERO production....he still has a locker.

Really way off take. He didn't rack up a lot of sacks but he had very little help with that line.. He did have a lot of QB pressures however and was solid against the run. He's our best defender on the line last year by far. With some help this year from Star and Trent,  he's going to have a great rebound season.

Edited by Green Lightning

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well the good news is Hughes has taken a stupid personal foul penalty in a couple of months.

Mario made Jerry.

I hear ya. i like hughes, but over the past few years , those personal fouls have been killers , it seemed. passion is good. not ready to quit on him yet. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

7th in the NFL in defensive hurries, ahead of guys like Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, and Cameron Jordan.

He also had 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

He may not be a top 10 defensive end or anything, but to say that he had "almost ZERO production" is message board hyperbole at its finest.

Do not let facts stop an irrational rant.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm sure you're right.  Hughes was super impressive last year.  My bad.

Correction. You suck.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

7th in the NFL in defensive hurries, ahead of guys like Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, and Cameron Jordan.

He also had 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

He may not be a top 10 defensive end or anything, but to say that he had "almost ZERO production" is message board hyperbole at its finest.

Haters gonna hate on Jerry. 

Some things we we just have to deal with. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It could be he's happy because even after a year in which he had almost ZERO production....he still has a locker.

For the millionth time stats aren't everything.  He was huge for us last season.

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Put a competent pass rusher on the opposite side of Hughes and see how quickly he gets double digit sacks. Hopefully that PED guy can stay on the field this year and lessen the load on Jerry.

Hopefully he doesn't get caught this time.

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I'm just parroting what I've heard, but I think the issue is more than Lawson, that the interior linemen were not either keeping their point of attack, or even better, collapsing the middle towards the QB's face. Or the whole QB. But ideally his face. 

100% this the play of the interior was subpar. I love Kyle but he is not a starting every down player anymore and the other players are just guys. Reason why they overpaid for Lotulelei a non flashy player but will solidify the middle. We need another DT who can be our Aaron Donald someone athletic and explosive who can make plays in the backfield.