Jerry Hughes likes Bills Offseason

Jerry Hughes “liking” changes Bills have had this offseason

gettyimages-859093520-e1522695259117.jpg?w=390&0h=111

Jerry Hughes spent some time around his former college teammate, Andy Dalton, last week. The Bills defensive end had a lot to talk to the Bengals quarterback about.

First, Hughes thanked Dalton for beating the Ravens in Week 17 to secure the Bills a playoff berth. Then, he began asking Dalton about his new teammate, AJ McCarron. McCarron backed up Dalton in Cincinnati until signing with Buffalo in free agency.

“Andy speaks highly of him,” Hughes said. “He’s a quarterback who likes to show up early, loves to work hard, doesn’t mind putting in the extra work. As a defender, you love that. You love someone who wants to take charge of the offense, wants to be captain of the ship. That’s something that I love to hear and can’t wait to see it and experience it.”

Having spent eight years in the NFL, including the last five in Buffalo, Hughes has played in the postseason three times. But all three ended in losses. He’s ready to get back and stay around longer.

“It was such a fun experience,” Hughes said of the Bills’ trip to the wild-card round, where they lost to Jacksonville 10-3. “I think it ended so shortly, but just to have that taste, that hunger, it certainly gives you that drive in the offseason now. You know that you’re fighting for the Super Bowl, but to actually be in the playoffs and be steps away from reaching that goal, you understand what it takes now in the offseason to kind of push yourself and get yourself ready for the season. So I loved getting there and certainly have the hunger to get back.”

Hughes likes what the Bills have done this offseason in adding Marshall NewhouseStar Lotulelei, McCarron, Trent Murphy and Vontae Davis, among others.

“We’ve been doing a lot, and I’m liking it,” Hughes said. “I think adding the offensive coordinator [Brian Daboll] will be great for us.

“I’m excited to get up there and see how those guys work and start getting down to the nitty-gritty, getting down to our process, getting down to Buffalo Bills football. It’s us outworking each other, but really building up that team chemistry so we’re able to go out there and play fast on Sunday.”

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

“I’m excited to get up there and see how those guys work and start getting down to the nitty-gritty, getting down to our process, getting down to Buffalo Bills football. It’s us outworking each other, but really building up that team chemistry so we’re able to go out there and play fast on Sunday.”

You know the catchphrase is working when even Jerry Hughes casually references it in an interview. :P

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It could be he's happy because even after a year in which he had almost ZERO production....he still has a locker.

7th in the NFL in defensive hurries, ahead of guys like Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, and Cameron Jordan.

He also had 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

He may not be a top 10 defensive end or anything, but to say that he had "almost ZERO production" is message board hyperbole at its finest.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Logic said:

7th in the NFL in defensive hurries, ahead of guys like Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, and Cameron Jordan.

He also had 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

He may not be a top 10 defensive end or anything, but to say that he had "almost ZERO production" is message board hyperbole at its finest.

We don’t allow facts on this board

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It could be he's happy because even after a year in which he had almost ZERO production....he still has a locker.

You do realize that he was rated a top-15 DE this past season and had 45 pressures, right? It was one of his best seasons. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well the good news is Hughes has taken a stupid personal foul penalty in a couple of months.

Mario made Jerry.

Oh come on. He had a very, very good season last year. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm sure you're right.  Hughes was super impressive last year.  My bad.

He actually was if you do the research. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

In terms of how he impacted gameplanning in the early part of the season, he was massively effective. After the first 5-6 weeks, I was leading the "Jerry Hughes for the Pro Bowl" campaign. Stats might not show that much but tape don't lie.

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well the good news is Hughes has taken a stupid personal foul penalty in a couple of months.

Mario made Jerry.

There is no doubt that Mario opened a lot of opportunities for Hughes coming off the opposite side.  But lets not forget about Marcel and Kyle in their prime too.  When you have dominant DE in Mario, an effective speed rusher, and two DTs who can penetrate and bring pressure up the middle it makes everybody look that much better. 

Last year all we had was one of those 4 things and occasional glimpses of what a younger Kyle used to be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jerry-hughes/5556

and  note #13 here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751016-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-4-3-defensive-ends-from-2017-season

and 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/02/advanced-stats-jerry-hughes-erupts-for-bills-against-backup-left-tackle-vs-dolphins/

Are folks also aware that Hughes' strip sack against Atlanta basically won the game for the Bills - a game they had no business winning? 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

well you originally said ZERO production.

Now you've upped the ante to super impressive.

Hughes does not deserve the hate.. he can be frustraitng at times but no reaosn to hate the player.. He produces

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You do realize that he was rated a top-15 DE this past season and had 45 pressures, right? It was one of his best seasons. 

Oh come on. He had a very, very good season last year. 

He actually was if you do the research. 

I think you’re overrating his year last year.  He wasn’t dreadful but far too often, our pass rush was not good.  Overall, our defense wasn’t good.  He is one of the highest paid players on the team and I expect more out of him.  Add to that, he tales some of the dumbest penalties ever.

i don’t want him cut or anything. I just want more.

6 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

In terms of how he impacted gameplanning in the early part of the season, he was massively effective. After the first 5-6 weeks, I was leading the "Jerry Hughes for the Pro Bowl" campaign. Stats might not show that much but tape don't lie.

But unfortunately, the season is 16 weeks or else Fitz would have a MVP trophy and Jauron would have a 2nd Coty award. :)