3-30: Ryan Leaf on the Rich Eisen Show

Ryan Leaf?     Does anyone give a crap about that 

image.jpeg.21986c58e7a3591f92084e31e0e6fab3.jpeg

Talk about one of the biggest busts in NFL history 

edited for clarity 

Relevant to today Johnny Manziel would be the better “topic for a conversation” on how not to screw up a career.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

It's actually quite interesting.  Leaf is articulate and very open.  The interview is not mostly about his own football past (he admits to having been a bust and says it was his fault).  His comments about the current crop of QB prospects is insightful.  He has had a conversation with Josh Rosen.  Rosen's decision to turn pro seems to have been motivated by the fact that both New York area franchises would be picking early in the draft.  Obviously, Rosen, who is from New York, has ambitions to be in the largest media market.  He didn't want to be in Cleveland.  I presume he would not be thrilled to be in Buffalo either.  He also thought that Mayfield has some of the same personality issues that he now recognizes as flaws in his younger self, which made it much harder to transition into the pros.  Take it for what it's worth.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

image.jpeg.21986c58e7a3591f92084e31e0e6fab3.jpeg

Yeah.  Some people actually do give a crap.  There are ways to make yourself look like a lesser human being.  But that doesn’t make you any better than them.  Grats

I wish Ryan the best.  Addiction kills.  I’m glad he’s survived so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm interested. Most people fail in life at one time or another. His was just more public. To be known as a bust he must have been really really good at one point to even be in that position to have it not work out. Does that mean his life is over and he's a failure? Or did he just figure out how NOT to do something and if he's willing to be retrospective and teach us what he did and what he's learned I'd be interested. Who knows, it might teach me something and keep me from failing at things in my own life. I think studying and understanding why he failed is just as important and interesting as understanding how someone like Tom Brady has succeeded.

• Like (+1) 6

It's actually pretty fascinating and absolutely relevant. Leaf looked like a can't miss coming out of WSU. Manning vs Leaf was a real debate prior to that draft. So much so, it was a split cover on ESPN magazine, with that very headline.Manning was questioned for everything from average arm strength to his inability to beat the Gators.  I'll readily admit I was relishing the thought of the Bills being able to draft Leaf throughout his 97 season. Leaf's flameout in the NFL was stunning and epic. There are lessons to be learned here. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 3

How about SD just moving forward too.  I think teams forget to cut their losses and move on.  I know the Bills have been terrible with that.  So, they take Leaf #2, then Brees in the 2nd, then Philip Rivers arguably 4th (or Eli #1).

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you put  his 41 year old  mind in his 21 year old body, he could have been one of the greats.  Imagine living your life as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

I’d be fine living my life as a NFL bust as long as I didn’t blow the cash from my first big contract. Leaf on the other hand,  did a good job blowing it all on dope. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

There was a rumor at one point that the Chargers wanted to trade the rights to the 2nd overall pick to the Bills that year (98) because Kevin Gilbride wanted Rob Johnson from the Bills. Gilbride was his OC in Jacksonville. At the time I though the Bills should have done that, but neither of those guys amounted to much. I do wonder what history would have been like had we made the deal and then had Leaf bust on us the way he did. Ironically he beat us opening day that year. He barely won 4 games his career and we were one of them.

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you put  his 41 year old  mind in his 21 year old body, he could have been one of the greats.  Imagine living your life as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

That's not how he's living his life. 

8 hours ago, TigerJ said:

He also thought that Mayfield has some of the same personality issues that he now recognizes as flaws in his younger self, which made it much harder to transition into the pros.  Take it for what it's worth.

Not hard to see if you're being honest with yourself.