You are McBeane, what would you do in the 2018 NFL Draft?

You are McBeane, what would you do in the 2018 NFL Draft?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Buffalo has many options, but we have no idea how the draft will play out. Choose the option that you see unfolding in the 2018 NFL draft.

• Do we forgo all crazy thoughts and sell out to go to pick 2 or 4, basically giving away 2 drafts for 1 guy? (E.g. Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield)
    • Do we go to pick 6 if Mayfield or Allen fall to pick #6 past Denver? (both have a lot of questions)
    • Do we take Lamar at #12 because Daboll and the gang believe that he is our guy? (Electrifying and played in our system)
    • Do we stay and take best player available at #12 (MLB/Corner/WR) and #22 (C/Guard, LB, WR)? (Build the team)
    • Do we consider trying to get another 1st rounder next year by giving up a 2nd rounder + a 4th for example this year? (be patient with a 2 year plan)
    • Do we trade down in round 1 with Pick#12, because someone offers us a 1st next year? (gamble for a great pick... see HOU-4, OAK-9 and GB-14)

What would I do?

I would do whatever it takes to get one of these top 3 qbs......which means giving up a lot of draft capital and hope we dont have to mortgage too many future picks.

And grit my teeth wondering if in the end Lamar Jackson ends but being better then all of them.

Just give me the most accurate QB that can move around in a pocket that you can give me......and lets do this

I didn't vote in your poll because the trade up option you wrote out makes you sound like a biased ass hat. Both firsts this year, a 3rd this year and next year's first. Hardly giving up two drafts and possibly cementing the one position we've needed to fill since Kelly retired 20 something years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

None of the above.

i think you have open lines of communication to everyone in front of you and behind you, have a very systemic understanding of values of players and picks. And see what happens once the clock starts. Keep everything on the table but don’t panic and overspend.  

Work through all the potnetial scenarios and have a framework ready to guide the decision making.

That’s what I hope and belive they will do. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

My point is college success is no guarantee at pro success and that shorter QBs have less issues in college than in the pros.

Why are you making that point? It had nothing to do with what I said.

6 hours ago, mjt328 said:

My guy is Sam Darnold.  I think he's going to be a star in this league.  And I'm doing whatever I can to move up and get him.

If the Browns aren't biting, my backup plan is Josh Rosen.  I also really like him, but have some concerns about injuries.

I'm not a huge fan of the other guys.  Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.  I think all of them are ideally 2nd Round prospects.

However, if I've totally struck out with my Top 2 guys, then I'm crossing my fingers and hoping one of those guys drops to me at #12.

As an absolute last resort, I'm doing what I can to trade back down.  Pickup extra picks in future drafts, fill-in the roster elsewhere and instruct Sean McDermott to tank until we are in good draft position in a good QB draft.

This is exactly how I feel. I think Darnold and Rosen are great prospects with less concerns than the others. I don't like Allen, Jackson or Mayfield.

If I can't get one of those two the ideal move is to trade down and pick up a first rounder for next year to roll some of the capital over.

Drafting a bust QB is the same as firing themselves as far as I'm concerned... MUCH better if they go BPA, and see what McCarron can do for the team..

If McCarron doen't work out,we've got a nice talent base to which we can add our 2019 1st round QB.... IMO, Drew Lock looks great!.... Malik Rosier looks more

like a stud every year.... There'll be QB's worthtaking with high picks next year too.

Edited by #34fan

7 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I was listening to WGR55 and Sal was talking about if we stay at 12 and 22. The cost implications for the 5th year option versus the top  of the draft are very significant. I am not saying that you don't move up and get your dude at 2, 4, 5 or 6, however if we can't the 5th year option is up to 8 Million different for example. Sammy was a $14 Million dollar option versus Tré White who may be half that or far less. Having the 5th year option to me is essential for flexibility in resigning or trading an asset. I wish we had another 1st rounder this year or next. 

This also makes me believe that trading for a guy on another team that is an 11-32 pick makes sense in the future. Many of these first round picks get moved for far less in year 4 (E.g. Sammy Watkins). The problem is signing them long term would be the goal. The Rams wasted a 2nd rounder for a rental player which they cold have used this year to trade for Odell Beckham instead. 

I know we need to draft an MLB (high priority) and a QB (must be a fit and cost must not be outrageous). If we do not move up I would inclined to trade a 2nd and 4th this year to any team willing to give us a 2019 1st round pick. Our seconds our middle-late, so it may cost a bit more. Draft capitol in the first round just seems to give a team much more flexibility. Plus ANY team can sh** the bed and a 1st rounder could be a 4th-14th (E.g Houston at 4, Denver at 5, Oakland 9 and Green Bay at 14). It is worth the gamble.

That puts me into this odd situation in my thought process... I believe that it will be Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson that will be available somewhere between picks 6-12 (pick 6 will cost $$$$). I think they are both a bit of a reach until pick 9 (sweet spot as we can swap a 3rd or 2nd with SF), but it is a QB and we need one. I do not care what analysts think. I care what our scouts/coaches believe and know about our system and the best fit. Neither will be available past pick 22. On potential alone they are both electrifying. Mayfield can dink, dunk and create. Lamar can add extra first downs with his legs. I now that many of you believe that Lamar is going to fall past pick 22, but I am not so sure. If this guy can sit for 2 years to learn a system and gain about 12 lbs he may be the guy. He ran our system in college. Mayfield is a proven winner, but I am not so sure he is a Buffalo guy and can he deliver when it is freezing, blowing and etc. Last item, if it is Josh Allen that falls and a HIGHLY doubt it, because of his size and the nature of the teams all being in nasty weather without domes, then Buffalo needs to grab him if he falls between 4-6 even if it costs both 1st round picks this year. YES, he could be a bust... But is he better than Bortles (pick #3)? Does he look as good as Big Ben (pick #11)? I would have to say he is. I think he can do quite well in the NFL. He actually to me seems like a guy that will work hard. Do I think he could kill us for 4 years and set us back. It is very possible, but not likely.

Do we forgo all crazy thoughts and sell out to go to pick 2 or 4, basically giving away 2 drafts for 1 guy?

Do we go to pick 6 if Mayfield or Allen fall to pick #6 past Denver?

Do we take Lamar at #12 because Daboll and the gang believe that he is our guy?

Do we stay and take best player available at #12 (MLB/Corner/WR) and #22 (C/Guard, LB, WR)? 

Do we use #12 to trade down to get another 1st rounder next year?

Do we consider trying to get another 1st rounder next year by giving up a 2nd rounder + change for example?

Anyways I created a Poll to see what you think! I left out other QBs as an option, because they are all below average to me.

Where is the Matt Ryan in '19 option?

I would only trade up to #2 for Darnold or Rosen. Otherwise stay at #12 unless we could trade up to say #9 or 10 to get roquan smith. The only Qb I would take at 12 is Allen. There is so much potential upside there. Would pass on Mayfield.Probably go Oline at 22  The right side needs help. Rudolph in the second round unless a Qb is taken earlier. Lb, wr, and linebacker the rest of the way.

If the Browns take Allen I would see if Dave G would accept 12, 22, and next year's first.  That's all I can give you.  Three firsts should be plenty.  If I have to give up more than that man that's just crazy.  Then I would take Darnold and go light up a fat cigar.  After that in round 2 I'd target Darius Leonard and Malik Jefferson to complete my LB unit.  Round 3 Frank Ragnow and a WR.  Rd 4 I'd look for a small school Corner like D'Montre Wade from Murray State.  Still smoke a fat ass cigar.  

Edited by NewEraBills

13 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I keep on attacking the board as much as possible until no good option is left.

Darnold is surely going #1 so I'm giving up both 1st rounders this year and one next year for Rosen. If the Giants stay put and take Chubb/Saquon/Nelson, I know I'm losing another target at 3. You hope it's Allen and you offer Cleveland both 1st rounders and 2nd rounders this year for 4 to get Rosen.

If they stay put, I'm fairly sure I'm losing Mayfield or Rosen to the Broncos. I call Chris Ballard and offer #12 and both 2nd rounders. Hell, I'll still throw in 22 if I have to and grab the one that's left (I love Rosen, like Baker). If that fails, I don't know. Probably resign.

I commend this post from my Right Honourable Friend to the board.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Where is the Matt Ryan in '19 option?

I looked at that. He would never leave Atlanta at 32 years old. He can finish his career as the face of the franchise. I would pay him $30M a year for 3 years guaranteed money, but Atlanta somehow has money...