How Did Manziel Suddenly Become Relevant?

Irv

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree on the first part but disagree on the second.  16 TDs and 4 Ints 6.80 YPA 907 rate in 11 games in 2016 on a dumpster fire team with a coach with one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

I get the political/marketing problem but the stats just don't bear out that he's been figured out by defensive cocoordinators , shut down, and made ineffective.

I would like to know how much of his stats were garbage time.

30 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

not to mention has had tremendous issues off the field, including almost knocking a woman's eye out....but hey...at least he didn't protest killings.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

No scorn, but he deserves nothing. He was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft and he flushed that opportunity down the drain.

As someone who has dealt with mental illness myself, I hope he gets his life back together. But he, like me, doesn't deserve anything. I had to go get my next opportunity and so does he.

Then I don't get your negative attitude.  Why wouldn't you want to encourage Manzeil?  Encouragement doesn't cost anything and could have great benefits.  I'm sure anyone trying to tackle life issues could use the help regardless of circumstance.  

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree on the first part but disagree on the second.  16 TDs and 4 Ints 6.80 YPA 907 rate in 11 games in 2016 on a dumpster fire team with a coach with one foot out the door and the other on a banana peel.

I get the political/marketing problem but the stats just don't bear out that he's been figured out by defensive cocoordinators , shut down, and made ineffective.

Some fans point to stats to show Tyrod was a good QB. All that matters is that NFL teams view him as an average player. Le Sean McCoy expressed that opinion as well. If he was way above average , some team would put up with him. Most probably don't want to be in the middle of the circus. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Some fans point to stats to show Tyrod was a good QB. All that matters is that NFL teams view him as an average player. Le Sean McCoy expressed that opinion as well. If he was way above average , some team would put up with him. Most probably don't want to be in the middle of the circus. 

I had a boss that used to say "There's lies, there's damned lies, and then there's statistics."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

Hype dies hard.

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm looking forward to the day the draft is over and there isn't 100 threads on trading up etc.

There will just be 200 threads instead.  100 on why did we trade up and 100 on why didn't we trade up.

• Haha (+1) 1

To be fair he’s always been somewhat relevant. The guy was a first round pick and looked pretty good against us in a few of his drives. 

I think he can still be an adequate player in the right situation. Provided he can ever get out of his own way that is. 

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Then I don't get your negative attitude.  Why wouldn't you want to encourage Manzeil?  Encouragement doesn't cost anything and could have great benefits.  I'm sure anyone trying to tackle life issues could use the help regardless of circumstance.  

You must have missed the part where I said I hope he gets his life back together.

Thats different than football

2 hours ago, Irv said:

Lousy track record.  He's a known addict and abuser.   He throws for a pro day.  Now he's on a dozen web sites speculating which NFL team will sign him.    I can't stand Kaepernick, but if Manziel is signed and he is not - it would confirm that there is an NFL blacklist.    

To be fair  all he did was drugs and beat a girl, we know that means nothing in NFL

HOWEVER Take a Knee during anthem and boom Blacklisted. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

I think Johnnys got the off field stuff handled. What he brings to a team on the field? Not much from what I've seen. However, we really should be shaking every tree we see. Johnny, Kap, RG3... idk. McCarron goes down and we're stuck with a Rook or Peterman? We can wave goodbye to a winning season right there.

IK the above mentioned names all carry media burdens but McD seems like the type a guy to rise above all that. Benching Taylor for Peterman was not a popular decision and he took a lot of heat. However, it worked two fold. We saw that Peterman isn't the answer and it motivated Taylor, enough so that we snuck into the playoffs. 

Lions dont lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

Yeah I'm not a Manziel guy at all but what harm would kicking the tires do?  In a world where camp arms are all names we forget why not have Manziel be your 4th guy?  If he does well great, if not cut him and continue on.

57 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It is ridiculous that Colin Kaepernick had a successful career including 2 trips to NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl and in in his prime gets ZERO interest.  Yet a guy who had a short un productive career is for some reason getting interest.

If it were up to me, I'd sign Colin today and name him the presumptive starter.  Stop screwin' around Beane.

I agree with the first part not so much the second part.  He has a place as a backup in this league.  When Blaine Gabbert is still on a roster or Chirstian Hackenburg or you know what I could come up with at least 15 names.  Just look at the bottom of the list and tell me Kaep doesn't have a spot in place of one of these guys.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

To be fair  all he did was drugs and beat a girl, we know that means nothing in NFL

HOWEVER Take a Knee during anthem and boom Blacklisted. 

Most fans don't care about what Manziel did. Kaep isn't " blacklisted". That's so overused and inaccurate. He IS bad for business , in the opinion of most owners. Not worth the headache and drama he'd bring to a team. He's just not that good. 

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

Yeah I'm not a Manziel guy at all but what harm would kicking the tires do?  In a world where camp arms are all names we forget why not have Manziel be your 4th guy?  If he does well great, if not cut him and continue on.

I agree with the first part not so much the second part.  He has a place as a backup in this league.  When Blaine Gabbert is still on a roster or Chirstian Hackenburg or you know what I could come up with at least 15 names.  Just look at the bottom of the list and tell me Kaep doesn't have a spot in place of one of these guys.

He doesn't have a spot because nobody wants him. Most teams want a backup to keep quiet, know their place and fall in line. That's not Kaep. His choice. A locker room is a fragile thing. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Most fans don't care about what Manziel did. Kaep isn't " blacklisted". That's so overused and inaccurate. He IS bad for business , in the opinion of most owners. Not worth the headache and drama he'd bring to a team. He's just not that good. 

He doesn't have a spot because nobody wants him. Most teams want a backup to keep quiet, know their place and fall in line. That's not Kaep. His choice. A locker room is a fragile thing. 

So he is blacklisted. 

Hmmmm why does Reid not have a job yet too?

but hey doing drugs, quitting on your team, beating your Girl is ok