DP Browns want to trade with Giants - Dorsey Confirmed speaking to Gettleman & said Jets didn't offer enough for 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have some stuff put together, so I could potentially do something official.  I have more or less been giving my opinions piece-wise this year.  In general, I have the top 4 ranked Rosen-Mayfield-Darnold-Allen, and I have no problem with any of them.  I have Lamar as a first rounder, and Rudolph as a day 2 guy.

If I end up having time, I'll tag some video with my notes and post it up here.

Indeed.

Thanks!  Always like to hear from you and Gunner around draft time.  

With the first 4 guys being "no problem with them" but Jackson a first rounder, are you saying you think he'll bust or not be worth the pick?  Also for the first 4 those are your "go get them guys"?

3 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

It is way early, but I am not sure I like the way things are shaping up at the top of the draft.  If the Browns really do take Allen and the Giants take Darnold, then that leaves Mayfield and Rosen to the Jets/Broncos.  I have no doubt the Broncos would take Rosen at 5 (if there) and I think the Browns would be happy if Barkley was there for them at 4.  I don't think the Browns would trade down if this is how it plays out.

This honestly would be disastrous...I can't reconcile how we would even have a chance to get up in there. We will be left the scraps...

15 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

we are F'ed if the Giants take Darnold.  it would absolutely screw up our chances of getting one of the top guys.  we need Cleveland to take Darnold at 1

Exactly. If the Giants take any QB the Bills are pretty much screwed. Cause Jets are drafting one and probably Denver. That would be 4 QBs gone and would leave the Bills with only Jackson Or Rudolph

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, rodneykm said:

RB's last, what 5 to 7 years and then they are done. I honestly don't see a reason to take a RB earlier than the 2nd round any year. 

I feel the same way.  QB, edge rusher, disrupting DT, LT and corner are the positions I would always take really high.  

RB, late day 2 or 3 is the only spot I would take them at.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

It is way early, but I am not sure I like the way things are shaping up at the top of the draft.  If the Browns really do take Allen and the Giants take Darnold, then that leaves Mayfield and Rosen to the Jets/Broncos.  I have no doubt the Broncos would take Rosen at 5 (if there) and I think the Browns would be happy if Barkley was there for them at 4.  I don't think the Browns would trade down if this is how it plays out.

I think the Bills will be able to take Mayfield, if they want him, at 12. Rosen to Jets. :(

3 minutes ago, section122 said:

Thanks!  Always like to hear from you and Gunner around draft time.  

With the first 4 guys being "no problem with them" but Jackson a first rounder, are you saying you think he'll bust or not be worth the pick?  Also for the first 4 those are your "go get them guys"?

IMO, yes, the first 4 are "go get 'em guys"...and by that I mean that they each show the potential to be franchise-type QBs.  3 of them look the part more often than not for me, and the 4th (Allen) is the guy that, when he's right, looks better than any of them.

The reason that I have Lamar a bit behind those guys is that I don't love his ability to consistently make intermediate and deep throws, and his pocket presence needs a lot of development.  I still think he's got the potential to be a franchise guy, so I have him as a first round grade, but I really think he should've gone back to school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mort said the QBs are getting drafted Darnold / Allen / Baker / Rosen.  I think Rosen and Wood Johnson are a legitimate clash of personalities, the Jets have always been about the headlines and Baker generates headlines.

I just don't see the Browns taking Barkley.  Just not what Dorsey & crew have ever done.  They have 2 ok RBs plus it's a deep class at that position.

Chubb is certainly in play, plugging him in with Garrett / Collins / Ogbah heats things up there VERY quick.

Would love to see the Broncos play the Browns, convince them to trade 4 for 5 because they are going to take a QB, then take Chubb right out from under them to put opposite Miller.

Again, it could be Columbus centric buzz, but I keep hearing the Browns love Ward.  They could trade 4 to us for 12 and a package and still likely pretty easily get up from 12 to get Ward or Fitzpatrick.

36 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Damn Jets really did screw us...#3 would be very attractive right now.

NYG- Darnold

CLE- Allen

NYJ - Baker

BUF (trade for #4)- Rosen

Was JUST saying that in another thread....ever since they swung that @#%# deal to get into #3 I've had a bad taste in my mouth that won't go away.   And it has only made time until the draft go by that much slower.....?

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

we are F'ed if the Giants take Darnold.  it would absolutely screw up our chances of getting one of the top guys.  we need Cleveland to take Darnold at 1

Not quite,

If Allen is selected with one of the first two picks, then there is a good chance that the Bills could end up getting their guy, if that guy happens to be either Rosen or Mayfield.

The key is for the Giants to either select Rosen or trading out of their spot for the Bills to have a shot at their guy.

19 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Abstractly? Nothing abstract about top five backs not necessarily bringing a team to the next level.

Fournette or Kamara? Fournette or Hunt?

What about the Cowboys, would they be better off with Ramsey and Jordan Howard in the 5th?

I just don't think it's a good move taking a RB in the top five in today's NFL, this isn't altering the landscape to fit my narrative, it's been my stance that you really can't justify in today's NFL taking a back in the top five.

This class makes that even more firm a stance when you look at the talent at the position. This class is loaded.

I disagree.  I think it depends on the team and what they are trying to do.  Zeke, for the Cowboys is a perfect example.  I would never say another back cannot succeed in Dallas.  So let's get that out of the way and not present me as going to that extreme.  But what I would say is that there is a dimension that Zeke brings to the Cowboys offense that many other backs do not.  

Secondly, this isn't always about the position a player plays, it's also about infusing your football team with the best talent and if that guy just happens to be a HB you don't pass on the best talent just because he's a HB.  This is exactly the reason why Josh Allen is rated high.  GM's have him rated high because they like his talent.  He just happens to be a QB.  I wouldn't care what position the guy plays, if the guy is arguably the best talent in the draft and my team needs that type of player to become competitive immediately, why wouldn't I take him?  This is another reason why I don't see the Browns passing on Barkley.  Sure you guys are right, you can find a RB anywhere.  But you can't find the best talent anywhere.  This, IMO, is precisely the reason Gurley went at 10, Zeke went in the top 5, and Barkley will go in the top 5.

Edited by NewEraBills

This actually makes a lot of sense for the Browns.

Considering the moves the Jets have made this offseason (signing McCown, trading up to 3) they are prepping for Allen. But because they have traded up as far as they have, they are locked in to taking a QB no matter who is left. Therefore, in order for the Browns to get Allen and Barkley, they need the Giants to put some skin in the game (i.e. trade some picks) to lock them into a QB and allow Browns to take Allen at 2 and Barkley at 4. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Barkley played in 38 cfb games and in 23 of them he failed to get to 100 yards rushing. That’s 61% of his games. Don’t tell me the box was stacked - their passing game was decent enough that defenses couldn’t fully commit to him. He had his chances.  His WR skills and KR skills are highly advanced for his age. He is a better blocker than a lot of backs coming out of school. But he’s not shown that he’s a guy you can hand the ball to in crunch time and he will find a way win the game for you (Zeke). He’s not that kind of RB but he’s more of an “offensive weapon.”

And that's why he's going high.  As I just said in another post.  This is about infusing your football team with the best talent.  In this case that talent just happens to play the HB position.  I don't see teams passing on the best talent just because he plays a particular position, especially when that talent makes their team competitive immediately.  But hey it is the Browns, although Dorsey is a smart man.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How do you feel about Mayfield?

I would be shocked if he’s there at 12 but would also be happy.  I think he has “it”

I like him. I think he will go just outside the top 10. That’s still pretty high. It’s right where last year’s QBs went. I just don’t think the Broncos are taking any QB at 5 and I don’t see another team until 11 who will take him unless there is a trade up. I also don’t think miami is taking him. So, Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Not quite,

If Allen is selected with one of the first two picks, then there is a good chance that the Bills could end up getting their guy, if that guy happens to be either Rosen or Mayfield.

The key is for the Giants to either select Rosen or trading out of their spot for the Bills to have a shot at their guy.

If the Giants take  a QB, the Bills are screwed.

That would mean Cleveland would draft one, Giants would, Jets would, Cleveland probably will not trade out with Barkley or Chubb being available at 4, Denver drafting one, and then that leaves the Bills with Jackson or Rudolph

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

And that's why he's going high.  As I just said in another post.  This is about infusing your football team with the best talent.  In this case that talent just happens to play the HB position.  I don't see teams passing on the best talent just because he plays a particular position, especially when that talent makes their team competitive immediately.  But hey it is the Browns, although Dorsey is a smart man.

He may go high but it won’t be to the Browns. Dorsey has drafted offensive skill positions in the 3rd or later.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have some stuff put together, so I could potentially do something official.  I have more or less been giving my opinions piece-wise this year.  In general, I have the top 4 ranked Rosen-Mayfield-Darnold-Allen, and I have no problem with any of them.  I have Lamar as a first rounder, and Rudolph as a day 2 guy.

Really appreciate your insights.  What are the chances any of these slip to twelve?  I like Mayfield and Rosen in that order.  I would take Allen if he's there at twelve.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

IMO, yes, the first 4 are "go get 'em guys"...and by that I mean that they each show the potential to be franchise-type QBs.  3 of them look the part more often than not for me, and the 4th (Allen) is the guy that, when he's right, looks better than any of them.

The reason that I have Lamar a bit behind those guys is that I don't love his ability to consistently make intermediate and deep throws, and his pocket presence needs a lot of development.  I still think he's got the potential to be a franchise guy, so I have him as a first round grade, but I really think he should've gone back to school.

If Beane and co have anywhere near the same assessment, they need to be doing everything in their power to get up to 4 right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Been saying tit here for over a week... Browns are taking Allen. The TT trade plus calling him the starter for the year indicate they like Allen but want to develop him, not start him. That aligns with a report a month or so ago that Dorsey loves Allen. 

Means if true, Bills are not getting into top 3 for a QB because if Allen goes 1 and the Giants do love Darnold, that's it. Over.