Bills very interested in rudolph

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sorry to tell you that he also getting pushed down because of his weak arm, lack of athleticism, poor footwork, and no experience under center as well as tiny hands. If anything, he is being pushed up.  

Around this time every year some crap prospect gets talked about as a guy who could sneak into the first round/early second. Not sure if it is teams trying to push better prospects down the board by getting others to reach on a quarterback. Heard it with Connor Cook, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Bryce Petty, Cardale Jones...even with Nate Peterman last year. This year that guy is Rudolph. 

Clearly never watched the guy play.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say this: if you start anywhere from a position that a 6'5" guy built like a brick shithouse, who has among his best traits being able to throw the ball long ...

has a weak arm? ...

check your premises. I'm sure Mason Rudolph has a big enough arm to play in the NFL, and beyond that who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sorry to tell you that he also getting pushed down because of his weak arm, lack of athleticism, poor footwork, and no experience under center as well as tiny hands. If anything, he is being pushed up.  

Around this time every year some crap prospect gets talked about as a guy who could sneak into the first round/early second. Not sure if it is teams trying to push better prospects down the board by getting others to reach on a quarterback. Heard it with Connor Cook, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Bray, Bryce Petty, Cardale Jones...even with Nate Peterman last year. This year that guy is Rudolph. 

Not to mention that outside of probably Baker, he had more to work with than any other QB in this class.  He spent his entire career with 2 WRs who'll likely be off the board by the end of day 2 this year.  It simply doesn't compare to what Allen had or even Rosen.  The talent around Rudolph made him better, not the other way around.  That can work, but we are certainly not in a position to make it work here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

Could replace the table smashing at tailgate parties.

• Haha (+1) 2

I am definitely willing to eat crow. I have before. I just hope all of the Rudolph lovers come back and admit they were wrong when his career goes the way of Bryce Petty and Landry Jones and see how ridiculously illogical they sounded here.

If I am wrong, I will gladly admit my mistake. Somehow I feel the Rudolph lovers will not be willing to admit their mistake. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, wppete said:

We will probably not end up drafting a QB in he send or third round. 

Pete, are you OK?  Looks like you've been reading too many Josh's Allen posts.  Just kidding bud.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That has been rumored for quite some time. However, I don’t think he’s #1 on their board. Otherwise they would not have already traded up to 12. 

12 gets them pretty close to where Roquan Smith is expected to go and he would be a cornerstone of McD's defense.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

12 gets them pretty close to where Roquan Smith is expected to go and he would be a cornerstone of McD's defense.

I would guess then that they would want to trade up from 22 to get a QB (Rudolph or Jackson), or do you think they would they stay put?

Is 12 or 22 too high for Rudolph? That depends on what the Bills think about him as a potential franchise qb. I think they like Rudolph (Darnold is almost certainly who they have at top of their board) if they can’t get their first or second choice. 

If you believe he is a franchise qb, value goes out the window because teams go crazy with quarterbacks and it just takes 1 team to jump in front to steal him away. 

Gabbert, Tannehill, Ponder, Manuel, Locker are just some of the recent quarterbacks taken in the first round. Are their college resumes any better that Rudolph’s? I don’t think so. There are so many teams looking for quarterbacks that it is a risky game trying to wait until the value is right. 

In addition to the obvious teams, others like BAL, CIN, WAS, LAR, NO, NE and PIT may pull the trigger on a qb if they like them enough. WAS and  PIT have both been rumored to be very interested in Rudolph. 

In sum, you can get cute and mess around with trying to maximize value at other positions but quarterback is not one of them because you will likely get burned. I fully expect to see 6 quarterbacks be taken in the first round this year. 

Edited by racketmaster

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would guess then that they would want to trade up from 22 to get a QB (Rudolph or Jackson), or do you think they would they stay put?

If they really covet Rudolph or Jackson then they would probably move up from 22 to get either.  

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

Gabbert, Tannehill, Ponder, Manuel, Locker are just some of the recent quarterbacks taken in the first round. Are their college resumes any better that Rudolph’s? I don’t think so. There are so many teams looking for quarterbacks that it is a risky game trying to wait until the value is right. 

Those guys were all major reaches except maybe Gabbert. He didn't make it but had top ten upside. 

Just like Manuel, et al, reaching on Rudolph is a terrible idea. These are not good examples for reaching on a non first round quarterback. You sacrifice too much talent for an inferior talent at quarterback. It would be a colossal mistake. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I would not be surprised if we end up with Roquon Smith and Mason Rudolph. McDermott gets the QB for his defense and his offense. Rudolph wouldn't be ready to start right away so we would have to live with McCarron for a while.

This ?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s possible but not sure why they would need to fake interest in any other QB in order to get a LB at 12. 

Excatly- no one would ever expect that. It’s brilliant! 

3 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

If Mason Rudolph gets drafted in the first round I will shove a parking cone up my ass and waddle through the rv lot singing the theme song to Growing Pains

You know it fits, how exactly? 

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Those guys were all major reaches except maybe Gabbert. He didn't make it but had top ten upside. 

Just like Manuel, et al, reaching on Rudolph is a terrible idea. These are not good examples for reaching on a non first round quarterback. You sacrifice too much talent for an inferior talent at quarterback. It would be a colossal mistake. 

Point was not about whether they were a success or not. Yes, they were reaches and most did not work out. The point is more about teams being desperate and overdrafting quarterbacks. That’s what happens just about every year and we could add Manziel, Weeden and Tebow to the list. 

Even most quarterbacks like Trubisky who are taken at the top are also a reach. He was not the consensus #2 overall prospect just like Mahomes was not the consensus #10 prospect last year. But they are quarterbacks and get overdrafted most every year. 

Just saying that If you believe he is a franchise quarterback then a team must be prepared to take him earlier than his ranking or be prepared not to have that player. 

The laws of supply and demand apply here. Every year is a little different. This year there are an unusual amount of teams looking for a franchise qb or looking to get one to take over for an aging veteran. There are also a higher number of qbs with franchise level qualities. The top 6 will be drafted high and then maybe 1 or 2 more go in second or third. The value might only come with 9th or 10th rated qb prospects who might last until the 5th or 6th because qb needy teams already got one. 

Edited by racketmaster

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Agreed.  Don’t panic.  Let the draft come to you.  Take a QB somewhere, but don’t give away the farm to move up.  There’s a good chance Mayfield, Allen, Jackson and/or Rudolph will be available where we are picking, and not necessarily with our first pick.  Great chance to add starters at LB, DL and maybe WR, along with O-line and RB depth, in this draft.

I do agree with this approach. I’ve actually seen some mock drafts where Mayfield falls to us at 12. Awesome if it happens but it seems quite improbable. 

I wish there was an emoji of an exploding head. That’s how I’m starting to feel with all this quarterback/draft tension. I keep telling myself I’m not even going to check in on it today. Yeah, right! 

I’ll add that what the Jets did moving up 3 slots and giving up 3 2nd rounders in return demonstrates how desperate teams are when it comes to the qb position. No team gives up that much unless it is qb. And the jets are only guaranteed one of the top 3 qbs. But if they hit then it was a small price to pay. 

What’s is the better option? Taking a qb at 12 that has a 20% chance of success. 

Or giving up the 2 first round picks plus 2 second round picks and maybe a third or another second next year to take a qb at #2 who has a 40-50% chance?

Im not sure but the Bills will have to trust their instincts and scouting ability  on this one.