Scariest thing you've ever done?

boyst

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Swam the length of a pool, drunk, underwater, at night, under a solar cover.

That was idiotic... Only an idiot would do something like that! ;)

That could have went horribly wrong (or well depending on who you ask).  Drunk swimmers sometimes get disoriented... Swim to the bottom, then panic. Bloop bloop... Gasp gasp... Sink sink...

...Probably why it was scary.

Your gain... Is all the people you call idiots loss now, no thanks to that big head that kept you afloat during that uneventful swim yet terrifying swim!

And Gordio wanted to swim a mile back to Acapulco in shark infested waters.  Amazing what drunks will do.

Idiots like myself stick to mountain couloirs.

:D:P

On 3/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, Just Jack said:

Attending the Two Bills Drive Annual Home Opener Tailgates

Being conned into standing on top of a cooler that was on the edge of a pickup truck tailgate before the sun came up, so I could hang the Two Bills Drive sign for a TBDAHOT. 

28 minutes ago, rockpile said:

Being conned into standing on top of a cooler that was on the edge of a pickup truck tailgate before the sun came up, so I could hang the Two Bills Drive sign for a TBDAHOT. 

You weren't conned, I simply took advantage of your sleepy state of mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was riding a motorcycle in shorts and a T shirt way too fast into a blind curve. I hit the brakes with too much force on the back tire and it starts to slide out from behind me. Just as I'm losing control an SUV comes barreling through in the oncoming lane that I'm sliding into. I let off the brake, the back tire regained traction, and I missed the SUV by about 2 feet. That was some scary ****.

Sailing off Catalina with the rails in the water and it was just my wife and I and we are amateur sailors.  I yelled at my wife who was on the wheel to turn into the wind and we'd spill the wind from the sails and we'd be ok.  She yelled back she couldn't turn the wheel.  So I had to go to the starboard side  (the side nearly in the water) from up on the port side to release the sheet and free the sail.  I was sure I was going to die that day.  The adrenaline rush was awesome! 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:41 PM, LABillzFan said:

Scariest thing I ever had to do is wait for a heartbeat.

When my wife was 3 months into her first pregnancy, she started bleeding a bit. We went to emergency room, and the first thing they did was look for the baby's heartbeat. They found it in no time, put my wife on bed rest for a while, but then she bled again. We went back to the hospital where they found the heartbeat pretty quickly, sent my wife home for more bed rest, but explained that we don't need to overly worry about the bleeding until she passes what they called the toe test: when she's bleeding to the extent that she can feel the blood between her toes.

Seven months in, she was bleeding to the extent that she was going to pass the toe test.

We raced  to the hospital, my wife still bleeding a bit in the car, as scared as we had ever been. They saw the blood and immediately rushed us to the back, and again, they went looking for the heartbeat, but found nothing this time. I leaned next to my wife, putting my right arm around her head and both of us holding left hands, and we could barely breath through the anxiety and tears.

The nurse kept moving the scope, saying "C'mon, now, I know you're there. C'mon now. Where are you?" You could feel the time slipping, and we just kept holding each other tightly until I was certain it was over, and suddenly the nurse stopped a second and calmly said "There you are. We found you. Thatta boy."

He turned 13 in November.

Wow, that’s the truly important stuff. I can’timagine that fear and anxiety. I’m so thrilled things worked out I can’t express it in mere words. Give him a hug for me! 

In January my wife and I drove through the night from Atlanta to Nashville. We got word that our 28 year old son had been sent to the hospital. We barely spoke a word during the four hour drive.  When we arrived at Vanderbilt hospital, they asked us to wait for a social worker. We were praying to hear from a doctor. Last week we got the medical examiners report. After three years of AMAZING sobriety (he was my favorite person I’ve ever met when he was good), he met a girl, relapsed and snorted drugs laced with fentanyl. He was dead minutes later. 

Facing that was by FAR the scariest thing I can even imagine. Jumping out of an airplane was easy. 

Appreciate every day with your loved ones. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Say that again. Sometimes the stupudity overwhelms.  No harm, no foul, you're safe.

Sounds like me going to work a couple of Easter Sundays ago in the '14 Cooper S but stayed on divided interstate... Road was dead quiet.  Nobody on the road except a tuned Ford Fiesta... Mine just stock.  I figured he was in my class... Overboost presumably activated, next thing I know we are up to 130.  Me being the adult, I backed off.  Not much more to give.  I didn't feel like going to jail.  I let my son take that F56 Cooper to college.  Don't worry, he shacks up with the girlfriend, she'll beat his azz! :D

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Bit scary... Still had the smaller 16 winter wheels and a bit squirrelly. WarmER, over 40° or so. Handling compromised.

I could just see it flashing through my mind.  "Dad goes middle age crazy and rolls Cooper on I-94"... Schitty tuned Ford gets away. :lol:

I keep it under a hundo with the snows on also... I try to save my crazy **** for the Summer setup.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, Augie said:

Wow, that’s the truly important stuff. I can’timagine that fear and anxiety. I’m so thrilled things worked out I can’t express it in mere words. Give him a hug for me! 

In January my wife and I drove through the night from Atlanta to Nashville. We got word that our 28 year old son had been sent to the hospital. We barely spoke a word during the four hour drive.  When we arrived at Vanderbilt hospital, they asked us to wait for a social worker. We were praying to hear from a doctor. Last week we got the medical examiners report. After three years of AMAZING sobriety (he was my favorite person I’ve ever met when he was good), he met a girl, relapsed and snorted drugs laced with fentanyl. He was dead minutes later. 

Facing that was by FAR the scariest thing I can even imagine. Jumping out of an airplane was easy. 

Appreciate every day with your loved ones. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't even know what to say that doesn't sound hollow... May God bless you and your family with the strength to get through this awful time.

Driving RTE 414 next to Seneca lake from Seneca Falls to Watkins Glen two lane road, in a March storm, rain, snow, slush. Was working in Painted Post at the time.

Running late for work got behind a truck going painfully slow, finally worked up the nerve to pass and get to his cab and low and behold another truck is coming the other way, had to accelerate and change lanes through he slush in the center. It was a stretch of road on the side of a cliff over looking the lake. Needless to say I made it to my lane as the other truck passed. 

Got to work and people from closer locations hadn't come in.

Edited by Gary M

Quitting my job when I had nothing else lined up. 

My boss sat me down and basically told me to quit or be fired. I decided the following morning I would be quitting and talked to my now fiance about it and and my dad and we all agreed it was best.

The next day I was at a beer festival and ran into one of my friends. I talked with him a bit and then he introduced me to my now boss. I told him what I did  and he told me and him and I grabbed a beer. I asked him for a job and 2 months later I was working for him

Funny how life works out sometimes

• Like (+1) 1

Worked Erie County Fair doing high wire work.  Never had any issue with heights before and used to use a tree fort over 100 feet of the ground.  Was doing grunt work at fair and they told us our hours were done unless anyone could work on taking down the towers and I said could.  Climbed up the towers (much easier than than climbing the tree) and on each one I unhooked/unscrewed clamps holding cables.  On last one there was no support since all the other towers had cables removed and tower was really swaying.  I had a belt around me which I attached to tower but at one point I was just hanging by my belt until I could grab tower and secure myself.  Finally got last cable unattached and climbed down very slowly.  

Boss was very impressed with work and said he'd take my number for when I was in town next time but I told him it was a one time thing.  He gave me a nice bonus for it but I wondered later what would he have done if no one volunteered, do it himself?