Trent Murphy and Star Lutulelei listed among worst free agent deals of 2018 - Per Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com

Per Rosenthal on NFL.com.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922026/article/worst-freeagency-deals-case-keenum-jordy-nelson-overpriced

As a side note it is amazing how thin “journalism” is today.  This “news article” probably took a a total of 20 minutes to put together.  The only facts in it would be easily discovered.  This is simply yet another opinion piece, like much of the rest of the B.S. you find out on the internet.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I disagree on Murphy.  The contract the Bills did with him is a very good one.  He is basically guaranteed his 2018 money and is a nice fit for the scheme.  They can get out after 2018 with limited dead money and then some 2019 money guarantees if he makes the team.  Looking at it as a $22.5m contract will give you a warped picture of the reality.  

On Star I have more sympathy for the view that the Bills overpaid for an average player.  I think they did.  He knows the scheme, they were desperate at D Tackle after they traded Dareus and it became a perfect storm that Star has taken advantage of to get a big deal.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922026/article/worst-freeagency-deals-case-keenum-jordy-nelson-overpriced

As a side note it is amazing how thin “journalism” is today.  This “news article” probably took a a total of 20 minutes to put together.  The only facts in it would be easily discovered.  This is simply yet another opinion piece, like much of the rest of the B.S. you find out on the internet.  

Today's journalism is a collection of tweets strung together .  

• Like (+1) 1

The guy says Dareus is better than Loto, which may be true but does not account for all the behavioral issues he had.

Journalism was so much better when the Internet did not exist and any guy with access to a keyboard can spout whatever he wants.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What makes them "bad" signings  is the money involved, not the player themselves.  I like both players, especially Star. But when I saw the money they paid him I shook my head in disbelief. 10 mil a year for a one dimensional DT is ridiculous especially when there so many needs and so little cap space. I wanted them to sign him but more like 7 mil per.

Murphy is a very good player and if he stays healthy should be a good acquisition. Not so much of an over pay as Star was.

• Like (+1) 2

I could have written that piece and I'm a fat old man sitting on my couch skimming the internet and watching TV. Only difference is that I would have showed the off season in the Bills favor because I'm a life long fan and eternal optimist. Doesn't mean I know any more or less than the kids making $60k to put their drivel on NFL.com. 

He had a deadline to complete a task just like any of us and was trying to get it done by 5 so he could get to the bar, have a drink and try to !@#$ a chick before his buddy does. I wouldn't worry too much about his opinion.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Which is why I'm not clicking the link...Most people think those were two pretty solid additions, including myself.

Rosenthal just needs to meet a quota. Great way to do that is to put out something that fans don't agree with in General. 

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think you've misstated this. It's not about the worst signings, it's about the worst contracts.

Nothing wrong with the article. It's a reasonable opinion. Disagreeing is reasonable too, but his points make sense..

On a side note I love when a reporter says “the Bills signings were bad” and everyone attacks his credibility. Another guy says “the Bills signings are good” and we talk about how informed the guy is. Ha ha, it never fails!!

I liked the Murphy signing a lot and it is a big need. He has a chance to be this year’s Poyer imo. A sort of under-the-radar FA that becomes a Pro Bowler. 

They overpaid for Star but you could see that coming a mile away. They have surrounded themselves with guys that they had in Carolina. He fits arguably the biggest weakness on the team. The price was too high but he should help. If he eats blockers up front the run defense and pass rush should both be better.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Wow haters REALLY gonna hate

Yep, nothing like being linked to a murder 43 years later

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

On a side note I love when a reporter says “the Bills signings were bad” and everyone attacks his credibility. Another guy says “the Bills signings are good” and we talk about how informed the guy is. Ha ha, it never fails!!

I liked the Murphy signing a lot and it is a big need. He has a chance to be this year’s Poyer imo. A sort of under-the-radar FA that becomes a Pro Bowler. 

They overpaid for Star but you could see that coming a mile away. They have surrounded themselves with guys that they had in Carolina. He fits arguably the biggest weakness on the team. The price was too high but he should help. If he eats blockers up front the run defense and pass rush should both be better.

I think he is a bit lazy the way he presents the Murphy contract as well.  It basically a $7.5m 1 year contract with very little risk to the Bills if it doesn't work out and a good player tied in for 2 more years of his prime if it does.  I think if you are thinking of it as a $22.5m contract then yes it seems to0 much.... but it really isn't that at this point.  It could be in time but only if he has a good 2018 and at that point $22.5m may look cheap.