What ya'll are getting with AJ

My take for what it's worth. I think he offers an upgrade to Tyrod Taylor in the passing game, but I rate him slightly below him overall. Tyrod had a definite impact on how the front seven played gaps against the run, and his legs also impacted the passing game. I think we have the personnel to make up for the differences and I also think our current team is better than last season's playoff team.

That said, I take a QB in the first round if we can get Darnold or Rosen. I keep far away from Mayfield (maturity) and Allen (style of play). I believe the clearest route to getting one of the big two is the #12 pick and Tre'Davious White to the Giants at #2. Yes, losing White would be awful, but given the choice beteen him and one of those two QB's, I think the answer is obvious.

If we can't get one of those two QB's, I'd say we wait on that position till later and stock up on talent, particularly on both lines and linebacker. We definitely can win with McCarron.

1 hour ago, snamsnoops said:

Nice post. Baker Mayfield isn't as bad as the media is making him out to be. He is cocky but that isn't a terrible trait to have as a NFL QB. He has a lot of passion, the same passion for football as AJ! Kids make mistakes and hopefully he learns from it.

I would take Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold in the top 5 if we can find a partner. AJ will get a chance to compete and hopefully he wins the job this year. I don't think Peterman will push him so hopefully the rookie will!

But McCarron has a ton of passion and is borderline cocky too, and seemingly has more reason to be per the original post.

Great thread, thanks for posting.  I also don't really understand the desire for Mayfield now with McCarron on the roster, although it's only been a day so maybe it will die down a bit.

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

His intelligence, his maturity, his passion, his faith ... he's a McDermott wet dream.

I don't honestly know how any Bills fan can read this and think for a second that the Bills want Josh Rosen in their lockerroom. 

His wife is my wet dream

16 minutes ago, Estelle Getty said:

Careful don't talk about faith and Rosens character issues or the far left will shut this thread down too!

Your thread got shut down on account of its sheer stupidity, I suspect.  This thread doesn't have to worry about that IMO.

57 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

great post OP, welcome to the Board and to the Great White North !

Thanks! My only trip to the Great White North...several years ago I was the Athletic Trainer at a Division III school in Montgomery, al. Our first football game was on the road against Ithaca College. All I heard during fall camp was how we were going to go up there and show those Northern boys how we play ball in the South. We flew into Syracuse (I think), bused over to Ithaca's stadium, and proceeded to get drilled by 3 touchdowns...I'm pretty sure our players realized that folks play good ball in other places besides the South ;)

28 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Agree with Mr WEO. I mean, if Jonhy Football had actually delivered on the field, who cares. Well alcoholism and drug addiction sure are no joke and can kill a career so he might be a bad example, but bottomline, being cocky ain't a deal killer for playing in the NFL! Do I personally like cocky self-centered player? Nope but what matters are results.

How about a cocky guy who has already gained notoriety for being drunk in public before ever playing an NFL game like Manziel?  

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I keep seeing Baker Mayfield and DUIs being posted over and over again.  Mayfield never had a DUI.  He was drunk in public.  Completely different animal.

Great post though.  Not surprising at all why he was appealing to Beane and McD.  What a bargain at $5M per year while the other guys are getting $10+ even $20+M deals.

AJ will get an honest, open shot to start here.  I have no doubt that McD is going to play the best player, regardless of their salary or draft pedigree.   AJ just has to show he's the best on the field now too.

Since you are being specific, we was hammered, involved in an altercation,  reported as continuing to be unruly one the cops arrived and then attempted to flee the scene only to be tackled by the officer.  pled guilty to public intoxication, disorderly conduct AND resisting arrest.  

Cant believe he was sacked off the field 

1 hour ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

That was amazing of you to share your heartfelt feelings about your beloved quarterback.  One thing that we have in common is a passionate fan base.  We love our Bills every bit as much as you love the Tide.  Thank you,

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Thanks! My only trip to the Great White North...several years ago I was the Athletic Trainer at a Division III school in Montgomery, al. Our first football game was on the road against Ithaca College. All I heard during fall camp was how we were going to go up there and show those Northern boys how we play ball in the South. We flew into Syracuse (I think), bused over to Ithaca's stadium, and proceeded to get drilled by 3 touchdowns...I'm pretty sure our players realized that folks play good ball in other places besides the South ;)

haha, good take ! Ithaca has a strong D3 athletic program all the way around. I played baseball against them while in college myself. 

1 hour ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Just joined up to share some thoughts on your new quarterback from a Bama alum and college football fanatic. I haven't followed the pro game closely since I watched my beloved Dan Marino, get owned by the early/mid 90's bills year after year, but I do keep up with the AFC casually. 

AJ is a legend in Tuscaloosa, a town with no shortage of legends. Most folks I know put him ahead of guys like Stabler and Namath when it comes to greatest all time Bama quarterbacks. Here is a couple of things scouting reports might not mention.

- Won 2013 Johnny Unitas and Maxwell awards.

-Finished 3rd in Heisman voting (I think)

-Led Bama to back to back Natty Championships...should probably have been a 3 peat if not for a kick six vs. Auburn

-Walked into Coach Saban's office as a TRUE FRESHMAN and wanted to know why he wasn't getting first team reps at practice...guy has balls and a ton of confidence.

-Broke down in tears on the sideline at LSU after throwing a game winning touchdown to TJ Yeldon in the closing moments. When asked why he was so emotional he replied "Because I want to win so bad FOR THESE FANS."

- Got into a televised shoving match with his center during the national title game vs. Notre dame...the center wasn't snapping the ball on time and AJ was fired up...oh yeah it was in the 4th quarter and we were up by 30 points...kid plays with fire and passion.

- Several former teammates have said publicly that there were many games where AJ refused to accept them taking a play off or loafing, even when they were up big most games. He is a fierce competitor.

- I have an uncle in Cincy who claims that many in the Bengals organization (including former OC) thought AJ gave them a much better chance to win than Dalton, but Dalton was the "franchise" guy and getting the big bucks.

-Told a local radio station in Birmingham a couple of months ago that he would play a year for league minimum if he was given a true chance to win a quarterback competition, which was never the case in Cincy

-Never once said a negative thing about Dalton or the Bengals, in fact he defended Dalton publicly last season when everyone was calling for him to be benched. He is a great locker room guy.

Again, I realize none of this translates into wins at the pro level, just wanted to give you some insight from someone who has followed him closely since 2008 when he was heavily recruited by everyone. I don't understand the economics of the NFL, but it baffles me when I see fans clamoring for a guy like Baker Mayfield, who will embarrass himself and an organization at some point (grabbing his crotch at an opponent on national tv, DUI's, etc.) Just because they think he is a "franchise" quarterback. His college stats don't blow away AJ's, arm strength, intensity, and leadership may be a wash, but AJ is has more prototypical QB size. Character and professionalism can not be compared, it ain't even close. I just don't understand why fans are clamoring for an AJ "mini me" with character issues.

Anyway, Good luck this season, i hope AJ wins a ton of games for ya'll, at the very least I hope he is given a chance to be the guy, and not just a seat warmer for the likes of Baker Mayfield.

Thanks for sharing - especially because I rarely watch college football and know very little about AJ.

Sounds like an easy guy to like -  though so was Tyrod.

While - like the rest of the Western World - I expect the Bills to draft a QB, I think AJ will be given a chance to compete and there's a good chance we'll start the season with him under season.  If he plays well, it'll be hard for the rook to unseat him.   AJ controls his own destiny at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

But McCarron has a ton of passion and is borderline cocky too, and seemingly has more reason to be per the original post.

Great thread, thanks for posting.  I also don't really understand the desire for Mayfield now with McCarron on the roster, although it's only been a day so maybe it will die down a bit.

i agree

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

AJC may be a fierce competitor, but knocking Mayfield , who, in a moment of competitive passion (and in response to Kansas's bizarre refusal to shake his hand at the coin toss and for a late hit he took), gave his crotch and tossed an F-you to their bench after he threw a TD.

So what.  It continues to amaze me that so many here would rule him out as an option for Qb for this team ---over that!  Completely nuts!!

So to speak...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Since you are being specific, we was hammered, involved in an altercation,  reported as continuing to be unruly one the cops arrived and then attempted to flee the scene only to be tackled by the officer.  pled guilty to public intoxication, disorderly conduct AND resisting arrest.  

Cant believe he was sacked off the field 

Wow. *Slowclap* 

That was a good one, I actually laughed hard.

???

(Not even being sarcastic, that was good!!)

In regards to his altercation, he seems to show remorse and actually realize the mistake.

I had a drunken run-in with the law in college myself (like 12-14 years ago)

I was hammered on the front porch at a frat party, got into an altercation with another guy, cops showed up, him and I took off running.

Got sacked by a cop.

Arrested, ticket, court.

Got community service and a no permanent mark on my record thanks to a lenient judge.

I'm now a father, and a medical professional (physical therapist).

I don't know everything about Baker, but he doesn't seem like a Johnny football, he seems more like a young adult who made a dumb@ss mistake, and wants to prove to everybody that's all it was, a mistake, not a pattern of behavior that won't change.

Every single person on here has done something they most likely are not proud of.

Mistakes happen.

People need to stop throwing stones when they live in a glass house.

I appreciate the post and the things I didn't know about Mccaron. On the flip side I think it was his job to lose when he got the opportunity, if he was that much better than Dalton then he'd be the starting QB for the Bengals right now, he could surprise us all and become a legit QB but odds are he's vying for a backup position with Peterman, I fully expect the rookie to beat out these 2 guys, this is a very talented group of QB's.

OK, if AJ is as good as all that, and is ready to start and win -- move up in the draft by trading picks and Shady, and draft Barkley.  Or do that if you aren't sure any of the rookies are really going to be better than AJ.