Lost in QB buzz... No help at WR or TE

The Bills had major issues with their WR corps last year yet there has been no wiff of activity to improve this group so far.  The actions suggest that the Bills are comfortable with what they have.  Perhaps a draft pick or two adds to the group but it is rare that a draftee contributes in a big way their first year.  With all of the buzz around QB somebody has to be available on the other end of the throw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I need to keep telling myself that it is still early in free agency and the 2nd wave is still to come.  Also I have never liked drafting WR as it seems it takes them a couple years to get acclimated to NFL cornerbacks.  My opinion.  Hopefully in this 2nd wave we sign a legitimate #2 speed receiver who has been around the block so to speak.  Also I wouldn't mind us drafting a TE to be heir apparent to Clay.

Edited by jpsp3434
  • Like (+1) 1

I think they feel comfortable with Clay and O'leary.  As for a wide receiver they are probably letting the dust settle on free agency to try and grab a receiver on the cheap.  Wide receiver contracts have totally blown up this off season and the Bills can't afford to pay them prices right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they’ll take the route that the Bears are taking. Get the QB first, make sure he’s your guy, then surround him with talent. 

Plus, what WR/TE would want to come to a team with an unsettled QB situation? Look where the big FA WRs went.

• Like (+1) 1

To me it would have been nice to have a guy like Virgil Green to help in the run game, but with Clay and O'Leary finding his niche at the end of last season, I don't think TE is a real "need"...add to that Logan Thomas will be back and that it normally takes about 3 years before a TE really shows their worth, I think O'Leary is due for a decent season on top of Clay and the potential Thomas holds. Now, if Ebron were to be brought in at a very reasonable contract, that would be a nice "get", but I don't think it's too much of a need for this team right now....

WR on the other hand, truly is....and I think Beane believes he's got two real quality players in Benjamin and Zay, and wants to find that Hyde / Poyer value type of WR in FA and most likely try to add one in the Draft, therefore no big pursuit of a FA WR...the second wave WR is probably more to his liking. 

• Like (+1) 1

{plan A}  

The Bills have picks #12,  #22, ,,,, #53, #56,,,, #65 & # 96 in the first 3 rounds.  If they use #12 to draft a QB, then they have 5 good picks to get LB, WR, OL.

{plan B}

If they use #12, #22......#56,,,,,#65 to move up in a trade with the Giants,   they draft a QB with #2 and have 3 good picks to get LB, WR and OL.

{plan A}  picks ........ #53 ..................#96.

{plan B} picks  #22,  #53  #56  #65 #96

Which is going to give us a better team?

10 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think they feel comfortable with Clay and O'leary.  As for a wide receiver they are probably letting the dust settle on free agency to try and grab a receiver on the cheap.  Wide receiver contracts have totally blown up this off season and the Bills can't afford to pay them prices right now.

Because the rookie WR class isn't much to write home about... That's why you see guys like Watkins getting these big paydays.

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills had major issues with their WR corps last year yet there has been no wiff of activity to improve this group so far.  The actions suggest that the Bills are comfortable with what they have.  Perhaps a draft pick or two adds to the group but it is rare that a draftee contributes in a big way their first year.  With all of the buzz around QB somebody has to be available on the other end of the throw.

Still much to come. Offensive line is the current big weakness that needs addressing.

• Like (+1) 1