Bills sign QB AJ McCarron

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

First off Rivera runs that ship and they usually hire from within like they did with Wilks to keep continuity on D and No! They didn't take a step bk. Matter of fact they took plenty steps up by going from 24th ranked D to top 3 and they made the playoffs going 11-5 . Star on the other hand he was sharing his job stuck in heavy rotation only had 19tackles on season that's pretty average if u ask me. 

Back to Whaley u say he had nothing to do with the draft that's absolutely insane.  It was his scouts his staff and him that put that board together.  Whaley might of made mistakes in past drafts i agree with u on that but what GM doesn't ? Whaley put talent on this team he did his job the problem was the coaching he had never shared his vision with him.  We all know here that he didn't personally hire or even choose his coach to lead this team. 

Rivera relied on McD a great deal to run the Defense and McD had a few good years in Philly as well, so let's not assume that to be an aberration. Second I have no idea where you're getting "top 3" Defense, but that is way off, 9th best according NFL.com Additionally, the strength of that Carolina Defense was the front 4 and Kuechly, with a nice article or two about that very thing written in December about the struggles of their Corners but the front 4 and Luke make the Defense powerful...as for Star, again, you can make the argument, some players just need a change of scenery to return to form. Also, going to playoffs had as much to do with the T.O.P. by Cam and their Offense and McCaffrey as it did anything else. In fact, their Defense was not that good when facing teams who had a good WR corp, and keep in mind part of their Defensive ranking was bolstered by facing an anemic Buffalo Offense that posted just 3 points in an entire game. 

And the same scouts you say were so important to the Draft, were summarily dismissed within a day or two of the Draft. I highly doubt, other than putting together a binder, the scouts and or Whaley had much influence on whom to choose and when. Was the gathered information used? Well, damn, I hope so...otherwise it was giant exercise in futility for the Buffalo FO last year, but having that information and knowing HOW to use it are two different things.....if they weren't almost NO GM would be fired, because every organization can accumulate information and reports. 

3 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Agreed, ESP if the target is Rosen.

I think we will be in for a rude awakening with out tyrod in one (and only one) sense and we got a sneak preview to a degree last year in LA.

We have gotten use to his escapability and with out arguing about how many sacks were on him holding the ball too long etc. Itd be nice to not have the kid turn into David Carr (exaggeration of course) but you get the idea. 

That said, if they emphasize 2/3 step drop and out (something TT couldnt do) maybe itll cut down on him getting killed. 

Regardless of who, and their talent, we dont wanna get the kid killed ESP if for some reason he needs to be rushed. 

I agree with everything you said.

The OL was a bit shaky but after Wood retiring, it needs attention, a lot.

This is the OL. 

LT- Dawkins - Great rookie start but still inexperienced.  Let's hope he doesn't suffer a "Sophomore Slump" when D's get film on him.

LG - Incognito - Probably Ritchie's last year.

C- Groy - Has only a handful of starts mostly 2 years ago.  Don't understand why most think he is an automatic starting Center.

He has been the Bill's primary depth at C/G on game day.

RG - Ducasse - Started 12 games and beat out Miller but not a strength on the line.  He is 30.

RT - Mills - Started the full season.  Has only played RT his whole career.  Hard to say that he is average at best.

Primary Backup Swing Tackle - No other tackle has started an NFL game.

Primary G/C - Miller - Has only played RG.  The rest of the Guards have not started an NFL game.

Hoping to find starting OL guys in mid to later rounds is not a very realistic plan.

OL injuries are a fact of life.  A team is lucky if it gets out of camp/preseason with the OL intact.

Seems to me McCarron and a "Rosen" needs a lot more in front of them than this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Figster said:

I don't think the Bills prefer that at all in my humble opinion Yo.

Best case scenario for all concerned is McCarron can hold down the fort until the rookie is up to speed and has a good understanding of the O IMO.

The contract looks like a backup contract to me. With some incentives in case he starts. If they wanted someone to hold down the fort they would have ponied up for Keenum, Bradford, etc. Those teams are drafting QBs too, but are bringing in the bridge guy. Looks I me like AJ will certainly get a chance to win the job in camp but don’t think they are planning on him starting. Jmo. They also didn’t appear to go after him very aggressively, so I think they just slow played it on a backup type who still might have some potential. 

thats why all signs point to Rosen at 2 or 3 imo. Or Mayfield at 12 if they can’t move up. Both I believe can start immediately. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Rivera relied on McD a great deal to run the Defense and McD had a few good years in Philly as well, so let's not assume that to be an aberration. Second I have no idea where you're getting "top 3" Defense, but that is way off, 9th best according NFL.com Additionally, the strength of that Carolina Defense was the front 4 and Kuechly, with a nice article or two about that very thing written in December about the struggles of their Corners but the front 4 and Luke make the Defense powerful...as for Star, again, you can make the argument, some players just need a change of scenery to return to form. Also, going to playoffs had as much to do with the T.O.P. by Cam and their Offense and McCaffrey as it did anything else. In fact, their Defense was not that good when facing teams who had a good WR corp, and keep in mind part of their Defensive ranking was bolstered by facing an anemic Buffalo Offense that posted just 3 points in an entire game. 

And the same scouts you say were so important to the Draft, were summarily dismissed within a day or two of the Draft. I highly doubt, other than putting together a binder, the scouts and or Whaley had much influence on whom to choose and when. Was the gathered information used? Well, damn, I hope so...otherwise it was giant exercise in futility for the Buffalo FO last year, but having that information and knowing HOW to use it are two different things.....if they weren't almost NO GM would be fired, because every organization can accumulate information and reports. 

If Whaley wasn't needed for draft he c would have been dismissed way before then and Beane would of been brought in . Maybe we would have our QB by now. Since Mcd didn't trust Whaley to take Mahomes .

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

I like Mayfield at 12. Not a Rosen fan.

I really feel like that’s the Sweet spot for him. I do not think he will go in the top 10 but you could grab him there at 12 before the teens where i think he could potentially fall. I would not take him in the top 5. 

17 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Is he better than Tyrod though? That's the question.

We don’t know.  It appears he has a better arm but I doubt he can make plays with his feet like Tyrod.  He actually has more game experience than TT had as a back up but that is still not much.   I

He has won in college on the big stage, he seems like a character guy like Tyrod, but whether he is a step up is a question mark. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really feel like that’s the Sweet spot for him. I do not think he will go in the top 10 but you could grab him there at 12 before the teens where i think he could potentially fall. I would not take him in the top 5. 

Could be. QBs under 6'1" historically don't get drafted in round one, much less the top ten. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but Mayfield at 12 seems about right. I definitely wouldn't hate having all that draft capital due to Mayfield being available at 12 .

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

We don’t know.  It appears he has a better arm but I doubt he can make plays with his feet like Tyrod.  He actually has more game experience than TT had as a back up but that is still not much.   I

He has won in college on the big stage, he seems like a character guy like Tyrod, but whether he is a step up is a question mark. 

I'd say he has less of an arm than Taylor, but can give you a more NFL style passing game. Tyrods limitations don't come from his arm. McCarron brings  a lot less mobility ,to be sure. He's also not being brought in to be a long term starter. I think McCarron will be a better fit for the offense, and also a better backup. His cost is also much less. Coupled with the pick obtained fir Tyrod, it's a win for the Bills. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Getting him at 12 would be a good outcome. Who could grab him before that?

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Specifically who might go after him before we pick?

any number of teams might trade up ahead of us if we wait, or take him at theirs (Jets, Broncos - they had 7 scouts/FO people at his pro day, Dolphins, Cardinals, Steelers)...basically anyone who needs a QB

Edited by PaattMaann

Mayfield Rosen and Darnold will go inside the top 10 easily

Rudolph towards the end of the 1st rd. Jackson and Allen will be day 2 or 3 picks

IMO Mayfield is the best QB in this draft

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think anyone knows whether he’s wrong yet, but I don’t really think it matters. I think the Bills would prefer that AJ never even has to play a meaningful game because they are targeting someone else for their starting QB. He’s much cheaper for that role than TT was.  I mean one of my Browns fan buddies texted me last night and asked if I’d rather have TT or AJ and I texted back with a GIF of Josh Rosen. They are both just placeholders.

one thing I’ll say about AJ is that he has more upside, potentially. Because we haven’t seen him play enough to gauge his ceiling. I can’t remember who it was (may have been Benoit) that said AJ is just a younger version of Kirk Cousins. Having watched both on college, I didn’t think that was too far off.

if you are going to add a Qb to your  roster when you don’t gave a franchise guy yet, it’s a good idea to get one that may have a “chance” to become a franchise QB, if that makes sense. I think they know TT is not that guy. And have doubts that Peterman could be. 

I disagree. I do think that the expectation is for him to start this year. Could he not? Most certainly, but in my mind it is 80-20 in the opposite direction from you.

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

any number of teams might trade up ahead of us if we wait, or take him at theirs (Jets, Broncos - they had 7 scouts/FO people at his pro day, Dolphins, Cardinals, Steelers)...basically anyone who needs a QB

I agree they all need a QB. But they likely won’t reach for one.  I just don’t think he will go that high. Maybe I’m wrong, but he’s not an elite prospect. Yet I see him as a top 20 player in this draft. I would love for him to be the guy the Bills draft. Just think he will be there at 12. 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I disagree. I do think that the expectation is for him to start this year. Could he not? Most certainly, but in my mind it is 80-20 in the opposite direction from you.

Yeah I think they want to throw the rookie in ASAP and get on with it. We will see!