This is what it looks like when you have a QB on his rookie deal

3 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I am as surprised as anyone else how we (KC) are throwing around money.  

Brett Beach said a month ago we would be adding another fast deep threat at WR.  The money is steep, but I can’t emphasize enough what they believe ( and I believe) they have in Mahomes.  Bombs will be dropping all over the field.  Watkins is only 24.  They are betting he is about to reach that potential.  I hope he does.

my main point is though, if you get a QB in the draft who in fact is a franchise guy, this is the kind of spending you can do (I’m not arguing it’s wise spending, we’ll see) lots of room to build out the roster when QB isn’t consuming 10-30% of your cap space

I hope Sammy pans out for KC, but if he is anything like he was in B-lo and LA, then it was a waste of money.

That's a ton of cash for someone who wont play the entire season, or will just disappear...

Brett Beach said a month ago we would be adding another fast deep threat at WR.  The money is steep, but I can’t emphasize enough what they believe ( and I believe) they have in Mahomes.  Bombs will be dropping all over the field.  Watkins is only 24.  They are betting he is about to reach that potential.  I hope he does.

my main point is though, if you get a QB in the draft who in fact is a franchise guy, this is the kind of spending you can do (I’m not arguing it’s wise spending, we’ll see) lots of room to build out the roster when QB isn’t consuming 10-30% of your cap space

So he is a franchise guy already despite playing exactly 1 game as a pro where he had his ups and downs like any rookie? If your point is contract wise you can build a lot around him because he is cheap then yep you have to go for him. Jared Goff is case and point of what happens when you do and don't have weapons with decent coaching.

This move looks like the Bills trading up for Sammy originally in order to pair him with EJ. We’ll see if it turns out any better. 

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Wish we had the opportunity to overpay Watkins...

We did. We passed. 

49 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The best thing about Jeff is he is one of a few people on this board that ever switched teams over his opinion. I think BF4E went to the Raiders with EJ and Jeff to KC with Mahomes. That is serious dedication to your opinions. You feel so strongly that you are right that you just pick a new favorite team over them.

s-l300.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

Thank you so much for this Jeff.

• Like (+1) 1

It has nothing at all to do with the position. It's about hitting on draft picks, altogether and the surplus value they represent. Two unhealthy WRs got $15MM AAV today. Five backup QBs will get $14-18MM. A one year wonder at OT will get obscene money; he was a 6th round pick I believe. The more picks you have, and the more picks higher you have, the more likely it is that you will produce surplus value. It's just a matter of odds.

Thus, if you are trading draft picks you better be damned sure of what you are getting. As caps increase, basic economics tells us the value of a draft pick goes up. It's why the best single drafting engine in the last 20 years has been the New England Patriots. It has nothing at all to do with Tom Brady; it has everything to do with the fact that they've never moved up except to get Richard Seymour and in that case, they were brilliant.  

4 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

I don't think they are taking the KC route because I do not think we will sign a expensive FA like Smith I think the plan is to draft a day one starter in Darnold,Rosen or Mayfield. If any route to be compared to it is Carolina with Cam starting day one IMO.

My point was, not paying Tyrod market value for a QB they don't believe can win a championship.  Draft a QB with a low cap hit and use that cap to bolster the team.  That, as it appears, is what we're doing.

4 minutes ago, White Linen said:

My point was, not paying Tyrod market value for a QB they don't believe can win a championship.  Draft a QB with a low cap hit and use that cap to bolster the team.  That, as it appears, is what we're doing.

Oh ok I misunderstood your post, I took it as signing a big priced vet(Smith) to play while the rookie sits around. My bad

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Go McBills

Edited by xRUSHx

4 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Then in a few years if Mahomes is good they will have to trade or release alotbof those guys they overpaid.   Currently what Seattle is going through.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11

1 hour ago, Luka said:

I've always advocated putting together the best possible team. I bet Alex Smith would've liked to have Watkins last year, seems they were always devoid of talent at the position. I'm just wary of annointing any QB the Chosen One until they you know, play a couple NFL games first.

No question. Still, could be the Bills soon enough if the Bradford reports are true. What if he actually made it through a season without going on IR but the Bills decided to move on? We’d be saying “trust the process.”

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

It has nothing at all to do with the position. It's about hitting on draft picks, altogether and the surplus value they represent. Two unhealthy WRs got $15MM AAV today. Five backup QBs will get $14-18MM. A one year wonder at OT will get obscene money; he was a 6th round pick I believe. The more picks you have, and the more picks higher you have, the more likely it is that you will produce surplus value. It's just a matter of odds.

Thus, if you are trading draft picks you better be damned sure of what you are getting. As caps increase, basic economics tells us the value of a draft pick goes up. It's why the best single drafting engine in the last 20 years has been the New England Patriots. It has nothing at all to do with Tom Brady; it has everything to do with the fact that they've never moved up except to get Richard Seymour and in that case, they were brilliant.  

Sounds like an opinion on NE's draft results.  Any stats to prove it?

3 hours ago, Luka said:

The crazy part of the situation in KC is Mahommes hasn't proven jack ****.

I can understand why you would say this....but, you'll get it about 3 or 4 weeks into the season.

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But he is on a rookie deal and since he was drafted in the first is a franchise guy!

I have watched a parade of mediocre QB's come through here since I was old enough to pay attention back in 86.  Mahomes is NOT like any of them...he is different.  he is better, and when you watch it, it is obvious.  Clearly, I am biased, and you shouldn't take my word for it...but google things like Baldy Breakdowns Pat Mahomes, or just read all the comments from folks who would know.....or connect the dots....Cheifs have Alex Smith, he is good, his stat sheet is stellar.  They traded up to draft Mahomes.  They work with Mahomes all year.  They trade Alex Smith and will start Mahomes.  They didn't have to trade Smith..he was under contract another season....They know what they have.  

2 hours ago, Luka said:

I've always advocated putting together the best possible team. I bet Alex Smith would've liked to have Watkins last year, seems they were always devoid of talent at the position. I'm just wary of annointing any QB the Chosen One until they you know, play a couple NFL games first.

Alex Smith would not get much out of Watkins.  Smith doesn't like throwing deep unless the guy has completely beaten coverage by a mile.  Watkins, or any WR is wasted with Smith (SEE Jeremy Maclin) for evidence.  And if you aren't convinced....watch the Redskins this year.  Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson are going to be fantasy superstars...Josh Doctsons career trajectory will now go the wrong way...and they just signed Paul Richardson today....he will be a disappointment....more becasue of the QB (Smith) than Richardsons talents.

As far as KC spending big on Watkins.....in my opinion, KC's offense was already good to go...need to spend on D...I guess we are tyring to be greatest show on natural grass.  I am skeptical of a guy who has injury history, etc like alot of folks here.  

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

Alex Smith has been extensively debated at TBD.  This is definitely one of the arguments you don't pay him as one of the best in the game.  It's a roll of the dice but KC decided they can only go so far with Smith - then trying this path makes perfect sense to me.  

Buffalo fans are jaded because just being relevant is attractive - KC is trying to win a championship.  What Bills fans will soon see is that we're taking the same route as KC.

yes and we could have stayed put last year, picked mahomes and retained sammy and woods.    But this is our year to draft, then fill in the holes with free agents next year with our $90m cap room, make a run for the ring in 19'

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

No question. Still, could be the Bills soon enough if the Bradford reports are true. What if he actually made it through a season without going on IR but the Bills decided to move on? We’d be saying “trust the process.”

Bradford is going to the Cardinals. Beane will be all in on climbing as far as he can in the draft and signing a guy like Matt Moore or Derek Anderson or maybe McCaron depending on the contract.

Just now, Luka said:

Bradford is going to the Cardinals. Beane will be all in on climbing as far as he can in the draft and signing a guy like Matt Moore or Derek Anderson or maybe McCaron depending on the contract.

I hope you’re right. Still doesn’t guarantee in any way/shape/form that the draftee will see significant playing time. Best case scenario would be for him to sit meaning the vet is doing well (KC situation). Next year rolls around and we are KC. It could as easily happen as not.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

I hope you’re right. Still doesn’t guarantee in any way/shape/form that the draftee will see significant playing time. Best case scenario would be for him to sit meaning the vet is doing well (KC situation). Next year rolls around and we are KC. It could as easily happen as not.

If we go up to 3 and draft Darnold or Rosen, I would expect to see them start day 1 and have the vet as an insurance plan. They'll be running a college friendly system. Rosen especially is known for his ability to read the field and completes over 60% of his passes against the blitz. I don't think Bills fans will stand for anything less than the rookie starting on opening day.

Just now, Luka said:

If we go up to 3 and draft Darnold or Rosen, I would expect to see them start day 1 and have the vet as an insurance plan. They'll be running a college friendly system. Rosen especially is known for his ability to read the field and completes over 60% of his passes against the blitz. I don't think Bills fans will stand for anything less than the rookie starting on opening day.

Common Luka, look at what Bills fans have stood for over the past 20 years (might as well say 50).  If you’re right it means the qb is ready to play. If the staff is comfortable watching him learn who’s to argue? You’re stuck on your position without seeing any other possiblities. So be it.