This is what it looks like when you have a QB on his rookie deal

I am as surprised as anyone else how we (KC) are throwing around money.  

Brett Beach said a month ago we would be adding another fast deep threat at WR.  The money is steep, but I can’t emphasize enough what they believe ( and I believe) they have in Mahomes.  Bombs will be dropping all over the field.  Watkins is only 24.  They are betting he is about to reach that potential.  I hope he does.

my main point is though, if you get a QB in the draft who in fact is a franchise guy, this is the kind of spending you can do (I’m not arguing it’s wise spending, we’ll see) lots of room to build out the roster when QB isn’t consuming 10-30% of your cap space

Alex Smith has been extensively debated at TBD.  This is definitely one of the arguments you don't pay him as one of the best in the game.  It's a roll of the dice but KC decided they can only go so far with Smith - then trying this path makes perfect sense to me.  

Buffalo fans are jaded because just being relevant is attractive - KC is trying to win a championship.  What Bills fans will soon see is that we're taking the same route as KC.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Alex Smith has been extensively debated at TBD.  This is definitely one of the arguments you don't pay him as one of the best in the game.  It's a roll of the dice but KC decided they can only go so far with Smith - then trying this path makes perfect sense to me.  

Buffalo fans are jaded because just being relevant is attractive - KC is trying to win a championship.  What Bills fans will soon see is that we're taking the same route as KC.

I don't think they are taking the KC route because I do not think we will sign a expensive FA like Smith I think the plan is to draft a day one starter in Darnold,Rosen or Mayfield. If any route to be compared to it is Carolina with Cam starting day one IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, cd1 said:

"Rookie deals" don't last forever!

If not careful or you won't be able to "afford" you franchise guy once it is time to pay the piper.

Watkins is three years.  Hitchens three years. Mahomes is under contract three more years.  Plus looking like labor dispute coming in2020.

25 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Brett Beach said a month ago we would be adding another fast deep threat at WR.  The money is steep, but I can’t emphasize enough what they believe ( and I believe) they have in Mahomes.  Bombs will be dropping all over the field.  Watkins is only 24.  They are betting he is about to reach that potential.  I hope he does.

my main point is though, if you get a QB in the draft who in fact is a franchise guy, this is the kind of spending you can do (I’m not arguing it’s wise spending, we’ll see) lots of room to build out the roster when QB isn’t consuming 10-30% of your cap space

Excellent point and great point! I love the insight, very refreshing to read a big time angle on contaract theory/roster building. Thanks for posting. ???

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Thanks, jeff.

The best thing about Jeff is he is one of a few people on this board that ever switched teams over his opinion. I think BF4E went to the Raiders with EJ and Jeff to KC with Mahomes. That is serious dedication to your opinions. You feel so strongly that you are right that you just pick a new favorite team over them.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

But he is on a rookie deal and since he was drafted in the first is a franchise guy!

Too bad EJ and JP didn't get that memo. Hopefully the new guy understands.

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So you don’t put together the best possible team? I know that’s not what you’re saying & this is the position the Bills will (hopefully) be in next year.

Hopefully the Bills will at least know what they have at QB though, unlike the Chiefs who haven't seen much actual game film on the guy they are giving the starting job to.

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So you don’t put together the best possible team? I know that’s not what you’re saying & this is the position the Bills will (hopefully) be in next year.

I've always advocated putting together the best possible team. I bet Alex Smith would've liked to have Watkins last year, seems they were always devoid of talent at the position. I'm just wary of annointing any QB the Chosen One until they you know, play a couple NFL games first.

This is an underestimated part of roster building, which has only been true since the rookie wage scale was implemented in 2011.

Teams that can land a franchise QB in the draft have 4-5 years to spend big in Free Agency, before they are strapped down with a monster contract. 

Seattle was able to take advantage of this for a few years, before they were forced to pay Russell Wilson.  Now they are purging vets left and right.  You can currently see the Rams and Eagles taking advantage of building around Jarod Goff and Carson Wentz.  In about 2 years, the window will be closed.

Congrats.

You overpaid for a cry baby who's hurt every other game. Also, you have Mahomes who hasn't done jack **** in this league yet. 

Thanks for telling us Bills fans how's it done though.

Again, congrats.