What if the trade up to #12 is just a ruse?

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If Cousins were in play the trade to #12 doesn't happen.

Why not? Gotta free up cap space to sign a big money free agent QB and still be able to get other free agents. Cousins is still waiting to make visits and some teams might not want to drive up his price if they can help it. 

Anything the Bills are saying at this point is smoke.

Like wanting to draft Josh Rosen or moving up into the top three. I think they move up but the QB they actually draft will surprise. 

Just now, Nihilarian said:

Why not? Gotta free up cap space to sign a big money free agent QB and still be able to get other free agents. Cousins is still waiting to make visits and some teams might not want to drive up his price if they can help it. 

Anything the Bills are saying at this point is smoke.

Like wanting to draft Josh Rosen or moving up into the top three. I think they move up but the QB they actually draft will surprise. 

Cousins is looking at one or two visits.  No links whatsoever to Buffalo other than from the departed Dunkirk Don.  He's not coming to Buffalo and the Bills aren't targeting him. 

9 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

Tipster, you never fail to disappoint during free agency and the draft.

That hamster is working overtime on the wheel.

Relax, Beane is making every effort to draft the best possible franchise QB.

Watch his efforts,and be thankful a Bills GM is finally putting the work in to make it happen.

I do marvel at all the possibilities this time of the year, it’s my favorite part! Lol!

• Like (+1) 1

It's only a ruse in the minds of those determined to draft one of the top four quarterbacks at all costs.  We had some heavy baggage with Glenn and Taylor, which was considerably lightened.  We now have more cap space as well.  Since we have many holes and all these high picks, we now have can really plug those holes.  Use the picks wisely, bring in an experienced bridge quarterback, and draft the likes of White or Lauletta.  Our young quarterbacks, with potential and a solid line in front of them, can be given a chance to develop and not be blitzed out of the league.

It takes two to make the trade.  Best case scenario is Cleveland takes Barkely number 1.  Then it is a bidding war to get to #3 and have choice of Allen, Rosen, or Darnold only one of which will be gone.  Denver, NY Jets, and Cardinals have a higher pick but less assets to move up to #3.

Colts have worst roster in NFL now.  Far worse than Cleveland or even the NY teams.  Colts need multiple picks in multiple drafts. 

I hate trading up but this is the year to go get a QB.  Then hope he isn't a bust like at least half of them are.  If they find the guy we are set for a decade.  If they miss we are totally !@#$ed for the next three years or more.

29 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

If they find the guy we are set for a decade.  If they miss we are totally !@#$ed for the next three years or more.

You know, it's probably just offseason giddiness, but I think Beane could handle a bust and correct the damage (i.e. try again or get a solid FA) better than other GMs. He's willing to do what he needs to. It's so refreshing.

Clearly I am a Chiefs fan....but even I can't wait for the draft to see how this all plays out.  I've always looked at the trade last year as a great thing for KC to get Mahomes, and I am glad you got White last year...and I hope that the extra ammo you got from the KC deal last year helps you all get "the man" this year.  Buffalo has been a GREAT recent trade partner for my team.  I am rooting for this to go well for you all.  .....also the NFL=crack.  This offseason has been entertaining as hell.

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

You know, it's probably just offseason giddiness, but I think Beane could handle a bust and correct the damage (i.e. try again or get a solid FA) better than other GMs. He's willing to do what he needs to. It's so refreshing.

I think Beane could have kept the Titanic afloat and sailed it right into Chelsea pier. 

36 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is OP suggesting maybe we didnt actually trade Cordy to move up to 12?

Nope. What Ian saying that trade up to #12 might not be just to get in a better position to continue to trade up into the top 3 or 4 picks to get a QB. What if the Bills were to trade back a little bit with the #12 pick so they accumale a few more prime picks and take a QB a little bit later in the draft. If that were to ever happen the Bills would be able to draft about half a team with young top prospects. Let’s really take this concept to the max and imagine that they did trade back a bit for a few more prime picks and NOT draft a QB at all but instead make a deal for a premiere top FA QB like Brees or Cousins! If that were to happen then I would expect the Bills to be in the Super Bowl by year 2! 

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Meaning that it’s not to trade up even further for a QB. What if they did it for a twofold reason, shedding Cordy and his contract and then move back a bit to gather more current and/or future draft picks? Even with a small trade back the Bills still might be in a position to take a QB AND grab more draft picks. Hey, so far Beane has been surprising a lot of people since here, exceeding average expectations. I wouldn’t be hating on something like this if we were to get even more prime picks.

I agree for sure. 

Beane consistently says he is building for longevity a consistent winning team . He also consistently said you win and build this perennial playoff team by BUILDING THROUGH THE DRAFT! 

He has a ton of draft capital in a very deeply talented class .

A.) I could see him moving 22 back 6-7 slots and grab an additional 2nd! 

Something like-

12,28, 53,56,59,65 and 96..

7 shots at top 100 prospects OR 

B.) Move up to grab a questionable QB with a high pick and something like picks 56 and 96, 3 chances at top 100 talent with our top pick being a total question mark..

I think Beane likes option A much more

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I foresee McBeane trading our 12th & 22nd to Cleveland for their 4th, straight up.

They'd want pick 53 or 56 as well.