Buffalo Fanatics says Bills & Jets preparing offer for Brees - Vikings & others have called

From my understanding based on some conversation and the logic flows for me... 

Can you talk to non-expiring contracts on other teams?

his contract is not scheduled to end. He may hit a clause the voids the future years in a few days though. 

Makes sense?

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

So teams can't talk to him? where is this info from?

Teams can't talk to him until the 14th.

NO will owe Brees 18 million (if I remember correctly) even if he signed with another team.

He "technically" has 2 or 3 year left on his contract which becomes void if he is still on the roster 14 March.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

True, concerning the 2 day negotiating window.

The deal with Brees is NO and him are not in a rush to put his new contract on the books yet.

This frees up money for the Saints to bring in new people and get rid of others.

Once it all settles then Brees will sign the new contract.

Brees is not going anywhere but NO.

No, the saints would certainly like to keep his past signing bonus amortization kicked into future years. If this stretches they get a huge cap hit that they can’t alter AND whatever the new contract is... the issue is drew plays hard ball (nothing wrong with that but he knews he has the leverage with the clock ticking)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

No, the saints would certainly like to keep his past signing bonus amortization kicked into future years. If this stretches they get a huge cap hit that they can’t alter AND whatever the new contract is... the issue is drew plays hard ball (nothing wrong with that but he knews he has the leverage with the clock ticking)

Yeah, at first I thought that too but 18 million is less in cap space than his expected contract of 25+.

As to your other question his contract notes reads Void on 14 March and 18 added to dead cap.

If so, I don't know if once money goes Dead can it be reclaimed.

Interesting conversation, thanks NoSaint!

Contract Notes:

• $44M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2016 salary + 2017 salary)
  • $24.25M in new guarantees ($19.75M guaranteed on the previous deal)
  • Voids 3/14/2018, kicking in $18M of dead cap
  • No trade clause
  • No franchise tag clause (after 2017)
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

True, concerning the 2 day negotiating window.

The deal with Brees is NO and him are not in a rush to put his new contract on the books yet.

This frees up money for the Saints to bring in new people and get rid of others.

Once it all settles then Brees will sign the new contract.

Brees is not going anywhere but NO.

That makes sense on why he is not signed.  Good point of view and probably the most realistic.  Especially with the quality of the team New Orleans has right now.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Brees throughout his entire career has played the hardest of hard ball on his contracts..

2 minutes ago, Manther said:

That makes sense on why he is not signed.  Good point of view and probably the most realistic.  Especially with the quality of the team New Orleans has right now.

Brees throughout his entire career has played the hardest of hard ball on his contracts..

NoSaint brought up a good point though.  The only way my idea makes sense (if the 18 has to go to Dead) is

they sign a contract that plays with the 2018 cap hit (smaller cap hit in 2018) and push out the rest.

Brees is old though and one would think all these "moves" are going to catch up with them again in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Its been misreported like crazy this week. I think many don’t get that it’s voiding a contract not just a simple expiring contract so the nuts and bolts are different 

not getting it done will be nothing pretty for the saints cap though - definitely they want an extension and not a void (with cap hit accelerated from the last bonus) followed by a totally fresh contract 

Any thoughts about Kelemete?

8 minutes ago, theAteam said:

Why would Brees leave a guaranteed contender for at least the next few years for rebuilds?

He certainly wants to and 99.999999% will stay in New Orleans. There are few destinations where the team he goes to wouldn’t instantly be a contender though. If he signed here — between free agency and 6 early draft picks add 2 WRs a couple front 7 defenders and a little depth and we are instantly a super bowl favorite.