Is Josh Rosen really the QB that the Bills covet?

PIZ

Most people are saying Rosen to the Bills after a trade up.  Is there a reason why it's Rosen, and not Mayfield, Allen, or Darnold?  I haven't seen any insider say Rosen is the guy they covet, or did I miss something? What if they trade up, and they get to choose from all 4?  Who would it be and why?

What if Mason Rudolph is the guy they covet?  Woild they trade up to 10 - 15 to pick him?  Same with Lamar Jackson.

Could Cleveland take Darnold or Rosen, with the intent to trade with Buffalo, if Buffalo can draft (maybe a slight trade up to guarantee the pick) Lamar Jackson?  Taylor would be a great bridge for that scenario.  Just saying that if Cleveland takes Barkley at 1 and Darnold/Rosen at 4, it doesn't guarantee that QB will be a Brown after the 1st round is over. 

4 minutes ago, Estro said:

No, it's Sam Darnold they covet.  That's why all you hear is they love Rosen, that's the narrative they're happy to have out there.   If Darnold is not the #1 Pick he will be a Buffalo Bill

The next Matt Leinart.  Not good.

• Like (+1) 2

So, Barkley goes 1.  Bills trade up to 2.  That's the only way to guarantee they get their guy, because Elway will try to trade up; he knows Buffalo is coming up.  Most still think they go Rosen?  I like Rosen a lot, but the concussions scare me, and I watched Darnold shred my Nittany Lions, do I'm not sure.

Rosen is by far the best QB and it's not really close.  if it's somebody else it's because they like whatever intangible they bring to the table, whether it's on field availability, leadership, determination, faith, process following, public speaking, etc.  if you are drafting the best passer of the football it's Josh Rosen

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PIZ said:

So, Barkley goes 1.  Bills trade up to 2.  That's the only way to guarantee they get their guy, because Elway will try to trade up; he knows Buffalo is coming up.  Most still think they go Rosen?  I like Rosen a lot, but the concussions scare me, and I watched Darnold shred my Nittany Lions, do I'm not sure.

Ok. So say we draft Darnold or Mayfield instead. Have either of them had concussions in the past? I honestly don't know. Add to that we draft one of the other 2 and they get 2 concussions in the first month of the season. Not much different. 

if we had tanked,  and could take any QB with our high first round pick,  id go with Rosen.    Hes by far the best passing QB in this draft.   word is hes probably the most intelligent as well.   2 strengths i would love to have in a QB.     But to mortgage the future for him,  im not sold.  

Scariest thing about Rosen for me is whether he would actually want to play in this city.

hes a bright kid,  and when i look at him i see Eli Manning  not wanting to play in San Diego.

lot of investment for a  kid if thats the case.

Think Mayfield would be a better fit here,  but i dont like the offense hes coming from.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Ok. So say we draft Darnold or Mayfield instead. Have either of them had concussions in the past? I honestly don't know. Add to that we draft one of the other 2 and they get 2 concussions in the first month of the season. Not much different. 

Good question.  I honestly don't know either, but I see it mentioned a lot.  You're right that it could happen to any QB.  I want Rosen.  Hope we get him.

5 minutes ago, jr1 said:

he couldn't play a month after his concussion. How is he going to last in the NFL?

Sam Bradford 2.0 is the general consensus - poor pocket escapability leading to even more injury problems.

Honestly I can't feel good trading way up for any of these guys - maybe Mayfield, maybe Allen if you're willing to sit him and are convinced he can improve.

Seems like saving all those picks and just signing the original Sam Bradford 1.0 is a smarter move.

Edited by BobChalmers

I"m not sure that anyone can say who the clear cut best prospect in the draft is.  You can look at any number of different prospect rankings and find Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and even Rudolph as the "top rated" prospect.  It's fine to have a personal man-crush on let's say Rosen, but he hasn't really shined against high level talent at the college level.  His college completion percentage is much to be desired, just like Allen and Jackson.  This is not an Andrew Luck type of year where there's a clear consensus #1, and that scares me a bit when you're talking about sending a bunch of picks off to get any of these guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

if we had tanked,  and could take any QB with our high first round pick,  id go with Rosen.    Hes by far the best passing QB in this draft.   word is hes probably the most intelligent as well.   2 strengths i would love to have in a QB.     But to mortgage the future for him,  im not sold.  

Scariest thing about Rosen for me is whether he would actually want to play in this city.

hes a bright kid,  and when i look at him i see Eli Manning  not wanting to play in San Diego.

lot of investment for a  kid if thats the case.

Think Mayfield would be a better fit here,  but i dont like the offense hes coming from.   

Good post