So... Is A.J. McCarron Back in play?

#34fan

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Odds are that the Bills are not going to heavily invest in a free agent qb because they are more likely to move up the draft to acquire their long-term franchise qb. So if that is the case why would they pay a premium for a qb that will be a short term player or starter? The best qb on the market is Cousins. The Bills are not going to pursue him for a variety of reasons, mostly revolving around the price tag. My basic point is if you are expecting the Bills to sign an impressive FA qb, whomever it is, you are not properly reading the situation. Out of curiosity what impressive FA qb do you think the Bills will be pursuing?

But John,  McCarron and Bridgewater are both FA QB who are going to be looking for Glennon-Bears or at least Chase Daniels on Eagles numbers and a team that will give them a shot as starter.  What does that do for us?

Frankly, with clearing out 10k of cap space just before FA I think the Bills have something in mind.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But John,  McCarron and Bridgewater are both FA QB who are going to be looking for Glennon-Bears or at least Chase Daniels on Eagles numbers and a team that will give them a shot as starter.  What does that do for us?

Frankly, with clearing out 10k of cap space just before FA I think the Bills have something in mind.

Both of the qbs you mentioned have not played for a while. So it wouldn't be surprising if each of them is willing to take short term prove it deals. The same logic applies to Bradford. It would be in each of their interests to regain a more positive status as players and then go for the grander next contract.  

With respect  to the highlighted segment I do believe that the Bills have a strategy in place for their replacement qb. I also don't think it is for a long term franchise qb. That will come from the draft. (My opinion.)

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

McCarron was the starting QB of the National Champions. I think there is plenty of body of work there for Coaches to evaluate.  I would definitely take a flyer on him rather than Keenum who may be a one-year wonder and Bridgewater who may never recover from the gruesome injury.   And please NO to Derek Anderson.  He is a washed up backup QB who has no ability to be a starting QB, even if he is a bridge QB.

And they are comfortable in that there is more QBs available via FA and the star studded Draft this year than any previous years and they feel any one of them will be better than TT.  

FA QBs that need a job are : Keenum, Bridgewater,  Bradford, Cousins, Glennon, McCarron 

Draft -  Sam, the two Josh's,  Baker, and on 

Possible via Trade -  Foles 

And whatever happened to the whole thing about Green Bay having to make Aaron Rodgers a FA!!!!

The market is flooded indeed...even if there are many QB needy teams indeed. 

I'm not anti -McCarron, but virtually every QB the Bills might turn to has extensive playing experience as a collegian.  Everybody else has more pro experience than McCarron.  Yes, McCarron started for the collegiate national champion, but everybody knows that Nidck Saban likes to rely on the run more than a lot of college coaches, and Alabama QBs have not as a rule transitioned into successful pros.  I do like McCarron.  I think he's smart and has good leadership skills, and I think he might do well as a starter, but if you're a GM, and you're being careful, you might be less inclined to depend on a guy to be your starter who has so little game exposure in the pros.

10 hours ago, #34fan said:

McCarron is absolutely in play!

I think the cost of Cousins is to steep imo and the Bills wont even take a sniff.

I wouldnt rule out Bridgewater either. 

- I would love to see the Bills keep all their picks and draft a QB at 21. If QB’s start coming off the board quickly it may force us to move up. Oh this waiting game!!!

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe he won’t cost quite that much but that’s the low end of what Glennon got as a young bridge guy. He is probably a good comp. The Glennon signing didn’t work but the market is there. I’d say $12M annually is the floor on McCarron and $18M probably the ceiling. When you add the dead money that’s a lot to commit to a bridge guy. I’d rather pay half to McCown.

Allen is a wild card to me. He is a year away IMO so you have to have a vet that can play a season. I tend to think that they are looking at Rosen or Mayfield. Those guys can play day 1. 

^ this is correct...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude.  If you want Rosen, you should not want Allen.  And vice versa.  Very different guys, with different strengths/weaknesses.  If the Bills are totally convinced Rosen is the guy for them, then Allen won't do and vice versa.

So Allen and Rosen can’t both be good?  Ok.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And what did the Bears do about a month after signing Glennon? They traded up to #2 to draft the guy they believed to be the top QB in the draft. If the Bills did sign McCarron or Bridgewater to such a contract, I would STILL want them to do whatever they can to draft who they believe is the best bet at QB in this draft class. 

Edited by 2003Contenders

This has been my pick ever since he was set to come into the NFL the only thing the guy has ever done is show he is a winner !!

To start his lowest completion percentage in 4 yrs at Ala. was 62%, He never threw more INT's than TD's in his time there & lastly he proved in one of his THREE National championships that you can like Brady meaning you can never count him out which to me shows Huge leadership .

I can't remember which championship it was but Ala. was down & he brought them back to win it i think it may have been his last one ??

I'll give all the doubters this he doesn't have a huge arm but it's not bad at all !! He reminds me of a stronger throwing Chad Pennington !

He makes good decisions & he has been healthy pretty much though out his playing career & given a chance say similar to what the Bills gave Tyrod i think the guy would prove he was worth the chance .

I don't know why he has been given such a negative over view given all he has shown to this point he has always shown he's at the very least worth giving the guy a shot !

I just don't get all the negativity everyone points to oh he could even beat out Dalton, well given that Dalton had led his team to the play offs, had a huge grasp on the offense & was the QB that the HC had hooked his wagon to it's kind of like the Pats situation there was no way Garrapollo was going to unseat Brady which is the same with the Bengals ! 

I know a lot of fans will disagree but i think the guy Could be a great get given a true shot at a starting position !! Not to mention he wouldn't cost a ton of cash ...

Edited by T master

2 minutes ago, T master said:

This has been my pick ever since he was set to come into the NFL the only thing the guy has ever done is show he is a winner !!

To start his lowest completion percentage in 4 yrs at Ala. was 62%, He never threw more INT's than TD's in his time there & lastly he proved in one of his THREE National championships that you can like Brady meaning you can never count him out which to me shows Huge leadership .

I can't remember which championship it was but Ala. was down & he brought them back to win it i think it may have been his last one ??

I'll give all the doubters this he doesn't have a huge arm but it's not bad at all !! He reminds me of a stronger throwing Chad Pennington !

He makes good decisions & he has been healthy pretty much though out his playing career & given a chance say similar to what the Bills gave Tyrod i think the guy would prove he was worth the chance .

I don't know why he has been given such a negative over view given all he has shown to this point he has always shown he's at the very least worth giving the guy a shot !

I just don't get all the negativity everyone points to oh he could even beat out Dalton, well given that Dalton had led his team to the play offs, had a huge grasp on the offense & was the QB that the HC had hooked his wagon to it's kind of like the Pats situation there was no way Garrapollo was going to unseat Brady which is the same with the Bengals ! 

I know a lot of fans will disagree but i think the guy Could be a great get given a true shot at a starting position !! Not to mention he wouldn't cost a ton of cash ...

"the only thing the guy has ever done is show he is a winner !!"  What has he won in the NFL?

Dan Graziano

All the NFL quarterback market dominoes after the Browns' trades

AJ McCarron

There’s been a widespread expectation that the Bengals' free-agent backup would join up with former Bengals coaches Hue Jackson and Ken Zampese in Cleveland. Jackson and Zampese had lobbied for McCarron, according to sources familiar with the Browns’ plans, but the front office obviously wasn’t sold and instead acquired Taylor. This doesn’t kill McCarron’s chances of signing somewhere with a chance to be a starter; it just means that place probably won’t be Cleveland. Only one team’s going to sign Kirk Cousins, and those that don’t will be left to choose from a group that includes McCarron, Case KeenumSam BradfordTeddy BridgewaterJosh McCown and the like for their veteran options. It’s not crazy to imagine McCarron as the starter next year in Buffalo following Fridays’ developments.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

God no. 

Please no Foles, Please No McCarron stop trying to make BUs more than they actually are. 

What does a guy have to do to prove he's not a backup to you? -:mellow: Don't answer that.

The point I'm trying to make is that McCarron filled in nicely for Dalton when the time came back in '15, going 2-1 as a starter.

He's also won 2 national championships at ALA... I'd give him much more consideration than some kid with F''d-up mechanics who's never played a down in the NFL.

Will he be a starter here? -I don't know... I think there are FAR worse options out there than McCarron.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Could someone please tell me what AJ McCarron has done in the NFL that makes people think the Bills should bring him in?

That's not why people want him.

It is because we haven't seen his upside potential yet.    He could be the next Kirk Cousins for all anyone knows.   That is why.

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

McCarron is the most overrated QB to prove ZERO I have ever seen. I don't see the love affair with this guy? If he was better than Dalton he would have been starting no?

If you watch the playing time he did get, it is very likely he was pushing Dalton for the starting position.    It is hard to unseat an incumbent unless your play is much, much better.

Nobody knows what his upside really is.   That is the most interesting part about him.   He might never be better than Dalton.   Or, he might be a rising start about to get his chance to prove it.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d my rather throw $7M at Josh McCown than $15-$18M at McCarron. If you get McCarron at $16M (as an example) you have to add the dead cap space to that to get to the “actual cost.” That is a terrible use of resources when you are looking at trading up for your guy. Use that cap space to build the rest of your roster and use the picks to get your QB.

I think it is probably Rosen. They know that the Browns aren’t taking him at 1 and have undoubtedly already discussed 2 & 3 with the Giants and Colts. They may even have something lined up. These teams have a really good sense for what the top of the draft will look like. It would be different if they were trying to get to 10. A lot of chaos can happen in that case. Going up as high as they will pretty much guarantees their guy.

I am guessing McCown can be had for even less than $7 million.      And if nobody offers McCarron a long term deal (which looks like is going to be the case with Cleveland out of the running now) then I suspect he might take a very short term prove it deal with the Bills.

I think the Bills should take a shot at McCarron if they don't plan on drafting either Rosen or Mayfield.   If they are planning on Rosen or Mayfield, then a guy like Josh McCown makes a lot of sense as a day 1 backup.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

What does a guy have to do to prove he's not a backup to you? -:mellow: Don't answer that.

The point I'm trying to make is that McCarron filled in nicely for Dalton when the time came back in '15, going 2-1 as a starter.

He's also won 2 national championships at ALA... I'd give him much more consideration than some kid with F''d-up mechanics who's never played a down in the NFL.

Will he be a starter here? -I don't know... I think there are FAR worse options out there than McCarron.

And yet in his time in Cincy never beat out the world Beater that is Andy Dalton. 

And instead AJ McCarron is the one walking NOT Dalton right??

Edited by MAJBobby