So... Is A.J. McCarron Back in play?

#34fan

I’ll say this: IMO, Beane and his staff have generated a little bit of trust and it’s widely held his staff is exceptional. So, i choose to trust their decisions in this matter. 

If they pass on AJ then he’s not good enough to help them take the next step. If he’s signed, they believe he can be a vital part of the process toward a Championship. 

Im good with giving them the latitude to prove it without going into full panic if I disagree with their decision or struggle to understand it.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why waste draft choices and then cut a guy after 1 year when you can just sign a UFA? 

You are arguing both sides of the fence.  You want proven experience from a playoff caliber Vet so if this is an option, it seems to fit your criteria.  The Bengals have $40M in cap room so they could sign McCarron and keep Dalton.  So, you are going to have to pay something to get him.  You would likely get Dalton for way less than Foles.  I don't think you are going to get the experienced, winning vet you are looking for in the UFA market right now.

Also, I was just stating there would be no cap hit to cut Dalton after year 1.  It wouldn't be necessary to cut Dalton after year 1.  Because the Bills would be paying 2 QBs rookie scale they would still get off relatively cheap for the position.

Edited by JoeF

13 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Strange that McCarron will probably not end up in Cleveland now after they tried trading for him last season of course Dorsey was not there. Perhaps he has a deal already set up with someone ? If Arizona was in on Taylor it probably is not them. 

I think he was Hue’s guy, and Hue isn’t going to get his guy because he’s essentially a lame duck coach at this point. 

Less than 5 months ago they offered a 2nd and a 3rd for Mccarron. He was worth more than TT to them at that time ...Sashi was there instead of Dorsey but depodesta is still there and he runs the show. the Bengals completely screwed up his injury designation or he’d be an RFA and they could still receive compensation.

either way these guys are going to be backups eventually. Both teams are taking a QB high in the 1st rd. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, JoeF said:

You are arguing both sides of the fence.  You want proven experience from a playoff caliber Vet so if this is an option it seems to fit your criteria.  The Bengals have $40M in cap room so they could sign McCarron and keep Dalton.  So, you are going to have to pay something to get him.  You would likely get Dalton for way less than Foles.  I don't think you are going to get the experienced, winning vet you are looking for in the UFA market right now.

Also, I was just stating there would be no cap hit to cut Dalton after year 1.  It wouldn't be necessary to cut Dalton after year 1.  Because the Bills would be paying 2 QBs rookie scale they would still get off relatively cheap for the position.

I wouldn't want Dalton for the price of a 2nd and a 5th even if they kept him.  I haven't laid out that as part of my criteria. What I have said is that I'm looking toward the draft for my long term solution at QB. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mccarron has completed 7 of his 14 pass attempts in the past 2 years.  You're joking right?  He started 3 games 3 years ago.  He's a total nonentity.  Describe your greatest Macaroon memory (without look git up)

My favorite McCarron moment was mentioning his name and seeing you light up with a smarmy ass response. If you would have read the rest of the thread, I wanted Bridgwater or McCarron as a veteran presence for our brand new drafted first round quarterback. So chill out take a break from being such a smart-ass.

13 hours ago, #34fan said:

That's 2 more national championships than Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson, or Darnold.

And Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Big Ben, Rivers Rodgers......Kelly, Elway, Marino, Steve Ypung,....

Good point.

8 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

My favorite McCarron moment was mentioning his name and seeing you light up with a smarmy ass response. If you would have read the rest of the thread, I wanted Bridgwater or McCarron as a veteran presence for our brand new drafted first round quarterback. So chill out take a break from being such a smart-ass.

Well then I'm happy that I could provide you with an actual McCarron highlight.

He barely qualifies as a "veteran presence" unless you don't mind that he's a vet who hasn't really played much football since leaving college.

TT would have been better than either of your guys--his basement was Bridgewater's ceiling. 

10 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I’ll say this: IMO, Beane and his staff have generated a little bit of trust and it’s widely held his staff is exceptional. So, i choose to trust their decisions in this matter. 

If they pass on AJ then he’s not good enough to help them take the next step. If he’s signed, they believe he can be a vital part of the process toward a Championship. 

Im good with giving them the latitude to prove it without going into full panic if I disagree with their decision or struggle to understand it.

I actually think signing McCarron would be the logical move. Probably would be the QB who would sign to the most friendly deal of the free agents. Something like 2yrs/ 36 mil (24mil guaranteed). This then also frees up the Bills to NOT pull a "Ricky Williams" draft pick giveaway to get the QB they've "falling in love" with.

If the worst case scenario happens and no team wants to trade with the Bills for a "1st, 2nd and Glenn" and all the 5 QBs go in the top 15. That means there will be a LOT of defensive talent is around for the Bills like R. Smith and V. Vea. Not just those specific guys, but other guys just as talented will be there for their first two picks. The Bills would be able to build out a VERY solid roster and still draft a QB with upside in the 3rd or 4th round. It might seem like they lost out in the franchise QB contest, but look at a team like the Vikings who did the serious build and was able to have a dominant team with Case Keenum as their starting QB. That is a realistic plan B for success.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well then I'm happy that I could provide you with an actual McCarron highlight.

He barely qualifies as a "veteran presence" unless you don't mind that he's a vet who hasn't really played much football since leaving college.

TT would have been better than either of your guys--his basement was Bridgewater's ceiling. 

It was cathartic. You may be right about AJ. He'll want starter money and hasn't shown he can do it. That said we don't know his ceiling but we know Tyrod's. If you don't like AJ or Teddy, who's you vet to sign to bridge or back up our rook?

16 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It was cathartic. You may be right about AJ. He'll want starter money and hasn't shown he can do it. That said we don't know his ceiling but we know Tyrod's. If you don't like AJ or Teddy, who's you vet to sign to bridge or back up our rook?

The Bills will need a bridge for any Rookie.  The Bridges are all flawed in some way or else they wouldn't be bridges.  The question really is "How long is this bridge?"

If its a season or less (Rosen or Mayfield or Darnold) - Sign someone off the UFA list who won't cost much and the Bills could even go with an injury prone guy knowing the Rookie can step in -- McCown, Derek Anderson, Sam Bradford 

If it's potentially more than a season bridge (Allen or Jackson) that's where it gets dicey... you might be looking at Keenum, Foles or McCarron -- that's more of a pay-to-play market.  The Bills will have to commit longer term resources to acquire one of these.

What the Bills do next week tells us where they are going in the draft I think.

This debate over the flaws of bridge QBs is a joke.  They are all flawed or they wouldn't be bridges.

Edited by JoeF

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

The Bills will need a bridge for any Rookie.  The Bridges are all flawed in some way or else they wouldn't be bridges.  The question really is "How long is this bridge?"

If its a season or less (Rosen or Mayfield or Darnold) - Sign someone off the UFA list who won't cost much and the Bills could even go with an injury prone guy knowing the Rookie can step in -- McCown, Derek Anderson, Sam Bradford 

If it's potentially more than a season bridge (Allen or Jackson) that's where it gets dicey... you might be looking at Keenum, Foles or McCarron -- that's more of a pay-to-play market.  The Bills will have to commit longer term resources to acquire one of these.

What the Bills do next week tells us where they are going in the draft I think.

This debate over the flaws of bridge QBs is a joke.  They are all flawed or they wouldn't be bridges.

It's going to be interesting. If they do get a Rosen or Mayfield I believe the Rook starts year one. Anybody else it is going to definitely be a bridge. The thing is you don't know until the draft.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

It's going to be interesting. If they do get a Rosen or Mayfield I believe the Rook starts year one. Anybody else it is going to definitely be a bridge. The thing is you don't know until the draft.

If I'm spending starter money at QB, I would go in on  Keenum.  He's light years ahead of/better than McCarron ever has been at any time--college or NFL.

If not, then you draft a QB in the first round and put him in as starter.  That's how it's done in the NFL, despite "but...Aaron Rodgers!" and this romantic notion that freshly drafted QBs can ride the pines for a few seasons.  First round QBs are drafted to start as rookies.

But, if you have to have a guy as a bridge, a healthy McKown is far better right now than McCarron.

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 3/9/2018 at 11:22 PM, PIP said:

I just find it so hard to believe that they traded away TT without a sure thing. They know something we don't.

I hope that's true.  When the Bills released Fitzpatrick before they had a solution, I thought for sure they had a plan and I was sorely disappointed.  Well, to be precise, I guess they did have a plan, it was just a Bad Plan.

Hopefully this regime is better at planning.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The irony of potentially having a first round QB, and the possibility of said first round QB losing the job to an over hyped backup...

Feel like we have done this before...

The 1st round QB has to win the job 1st and having a more experienced signal caller on your roster vs rookie helps the whole process of developing a rookie in my humble opinion.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:02 AM, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

"the only thing the guy has ever done is show he is a winner !!"  What has he won in the NFL?

Show me where he has been given a true chance to prove he can win in the NFL (more than 10 snaps after the starter got hurt) and then he will prove to you just how he can be a winner in the NFL or not  !!

Brady would have still been on the bench if the Bledsoe wouldn't have been hurt long enough for him to prove he was worth his salt !! And Brady didn't beat Bledsoe out in the preseason either because he was the starter the same as Dalton was with the Bengals .

Not saying that this IS the same thing just saying it "Could Be" if the opportunity was truly given !!

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

Show me where he has been given a true chance to prove he can win in the NFL (more than 10 snaps after the starter got hurt) and then he will prove to you just how he can be a winner in the NFL or not  !!

Brady would have still been on the bench if the Bledsoe wouldn't have been hurt long enough for him to prove he was worth his salt !! And Brady didn't beat Bledsoe out in the preseason either because he was the starter the same as Dalton was with the Bengals .

Not saying that this IS the same thing just saying it "Could Be" if the opportunity was truly given !!

I've watched enough of McCarron at the college level to get the impression he could at the very least manage and win football games with a good D at the pro level in my humble opinion.

I understand why A J's small body of work in the NFL has many Bills fans skeptical. On the other hand though I look at adding a young signal caller like McCarron  as giving Buffalo not one, not two, but three possibilities to hit pay dirt along with Peterman and a high round rookie.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I've watched enough of McCarron at the college level to get the impression he could at the very least manage and win football games with a good D at the pro level in my humble opinion.

I understand why his body of work has many Bills fans skeptical. On the other hand though I look at adding a young signal caller like McCarron  as giving Buffalo not one, not two, but three possibilities to hit pay dirt with McCarron, Peterman and a high round rookie.

Supposedly McCarron was really held back in college. He is a gun slinger but Saban wouldn't allow him to do it. 

I don't think it is out of question that McCarron couldn't have a Cousins type season if he was given full power. He is really good at touch and placement balls. Coming out of college he had to work on progressions, but I don't see how he wouldn't have improved spending 4 years in the NFL

• Like (+1) 1