So... Is A.J. McCarron Back in play?

#34fan

8 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Valid point. But at the end of the day they're going to have to play somewhere. Not sure how many teams would consider them their long-term solution. Maybe a short-term prove-it contract is what they need. Particularly Bridgewater.

They both throw with anticipation and actually throw to wide receivers. I take that as a huge upgrade.

Mccarron has completed 7 of his 14 pass attempts in the past 2 years.  You're joking right?  He started 3 games 3 years ago.  He's a total nonentity.  Describe your greatest Macaroon memory (without look git up).

Bridgewater has had his struggles passing to his WRs:

http://www.startribune.com/pass-distribution-from-bridgewater-vikings-has-shifted-to-checkdowns/360939941/

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

What does a guy have to do to prove he's not a backup to you? -:mellow: Don't answer that.

The point I'm trying to make is that McCarron filled in nicely for Dalton when the time came back in '15, going 2-1 as a starter.

He's also won 2 national championships at ALA... I'd give him much more consideration than some kid with F''d-up mechanics who's never played a down in the NFL.

Will he be a starter here? -I don't know... I think there are FAR worse options out there than McCarron.

Wow, 2 college championships and 2 NFL wins 3 years ago!

While stop with those credentials?---better off seeing what Tebow is up to.

17 hours ago, Figster said:

He can see over the Oline for starters,

From the bench or the film room?

• Thank you (+1) 1

What I find funny is we keep talking about drafting a guy and letting him sit for a year or two to develop. That is basically what McCarron is. He's a guy who has been sitting and learning and developing. He has a tiny bit of experience, but played well and had the Steelers beat in the playoffs. Now I don't want him because I don't think he has the upside of some of the guys in the draft or a guy like Teddy Bridgewater. But honestly, I wouldn't hate it.

I understand why people want him and why some people don't. People who completely dismiss him because lack of game experience just doesn't make sense to me. He's been developed as a backup quarterback for a few years and played at a very high level in college. He deserves a shot to compete for a starting job somewhere. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Daboll was only at Bama for one season and he has no direct connection to McCarron. 

He does have a direct connection, Saban. Amazing how people forget all these players played for someone. McCarron has a record, mostly college but better than any QB that is in this draft. Bengals did not want to lose him, went to court and got ruled against. I would take a chance at McCarron before any of the QB's in this draft. He has been through a few NFL training camps also, sat behind a Bills savior QB with orange hair, lol, played in preseason games and did very well in games he had to come in on. 

17 hours ago, billspro said:

McCarron, Bridgewater, and Bradford all make sense as bridge Qbs. 

Even McCown makes sense, that guy is basically a coach. I just want a good mentor for our 1st round Qb.

McCarron would not be a bridge QB, you would sign him to be your QB of the future or you don't sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

He does have a direct connection, Saban. Amazing how people forget all these players played for someone. McCarron has a record, mostly college but better than any QB that is in this draft. Bengals did not want to lose him, went to court and got ruled against. I would take a chance at McCarron before any of the QB's in this draft. He has been through a few NFL training camps also, sat behind a Bills savior QB with orange hair, lol, played in preseason games and did very well in games he had to come in on. 

McCarron would not be a bridge QB, you would sign him to be your QB of the future or you don't sign him.

That's an indirect connection as he has never coached McCarron.  Tim Tebow had a great record at Florida that means nothing in the NFL. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet in his time in Cincy never beat out the world Beater that is Andy Dalton. 

And instead AJ McCarron is the one walking NOT Dalton right??

Bengals lost his service do to a court decision on his freeagent status. 

4 year college starter who spent time behind a quality NFL QB. Has showed alittle upside in his playing time in this league. May not be the answer, but he could be. And if we are drafting a QB we hope can be the answer, that’s two guys who show promise and one of them is ready to start week #1.... I don’t see the problem. They are gonna have to pay him a bit but it ain’t my money. 

Edited by BananaB

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

4 year college starter who spent time behind a quality NFL QB. Has showed alittle upside in his playing time in this league. May not be the answer, but he could be. And if we are drafting a QB we hope can be the answer, that’s two guys who show promise and one of them is ready to start week #1.... I don’t see the problem. They are gonna have to pay him a bit but it ain’t my money. 

a.j. will be in town next week. here's my fa qb predictions....

cousins ends up in denver.

bradford goes to az.

keenum stays in minny.

the jets sign bridgewater....and i think they will either draft josh allen , but i think they will trade back for picks and take lamar jackson.

philly may end up getting a ransom that's too much for the bill's liking, but could also decide they will retain him through the summer. therefore....

the bills sign a.j. to a 3 yr. incentive laden deal. they draft dt/lb and rudolph or mike white at some point where they need to.

at the presser mcfo will state that every job has to be earned and there will be a competition. they felt that maximizing the amount of picks to bolster the roster was the no. 1 concern in the process.

a.j/ nate/rudolph   and knock the hell out of the draft. i'm psyched!

but...let's not forget even if they bring a.j. in ,if the draft takes a certain shape, they can still ball out and move up.

Edited by billsredneck1

FWIW

When examining McCarron’s play, he looks like a typical backup quarterback. Average to below-average production with a sprinkle of potential have some clamoring for their franchise to sign the man on the spot. They might not have seen what happened with Matt Flynn in 2012 after his big signing, but they’d be wise to do some research.

In all, McCarron has made three starts, been in 11 games, thrown for 920 yards, and has thrown six touchdowns and two interceptions. Not to mention, McCarron had guys like Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones, and A.J. Green to throw in Cincinnati, so the results could be better.

At the end of the day, it’s a rational, logical decision for the Bills to steer clear of the questionable quarterback. Doing your homework is important but it’s even more important to take a step back and look at the crop first. There are plenty of qualified candidates out there to bridge the gap for a rookie quarterback and most come at a cheaper cost than what McCarron could entice.

Buffalo would be wise to sign an affordable veteran to fulfill the grooming and find their quarterback of the future in this year’s draft.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

FWIW

When examining McCarron’s play, he looks like a typical backup quarterback. Average to below-average production with a sprinkle of potential have some clamoring for their franchise to sign the man on the spot. They might not have seen what happened with Matt Flynn in 2012 after his big signing, but they’d be wise to do some research.

In all, McCarron has made three starts, been in 11 games, thrown for 920 yards, and has thrown six touchdowns and two interceptions. Not to mention, McCarron had guys like Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones, and A.J. Green to throw in Cincinnati, so the results could be better.

At the end of the day, it’s a rational, logical decision for the Bills to steer clear of the questionable quarterback. Doing your homework is important but it’s even more important to take a step back and look at the crop first. There are plenty of qualified candidates out there to bridge the gap for a rookie quarterback and most come at a cheaper cost than what McCarron could entice.

Buffalo would be wise to sign an affordable veteran to fulfill the grooming and find their quarterback of the future in this year’s draft.

Can that back up Matt Flynn narrative end??

Keenum, Foles, Jimmy G this year alone were all back ups. 

A couple of more things on McCarron...

Projected as a second round pick coming out. Good size, ok arm, ok athlete. Smart, 10 inch hands. something to prove. Definitely does not have the upside that some other guys have. 

Nfl.com had a higher grade on him coming out than they do on Mason Rudolph, FWIW. 

How about a different twist.  Would you trade next year's #2 and one of this year's #5's for Andy Dalton?  Say Cincinnati has decided to make AJ their starter.

Dalton's cap figures are in the $16 - 17 million dollar range per year for the next three years and there would be no dead cap to cut him after a year.

Bills would still move up and likely would not have a #1 or #2 round pick next year....

Edited by JoeF

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

How about a different twist.  Would you trade next year's #2 and one of this year's #5's for Andy Dalton?  Say Cincinnati has decided to make AJ their starter.

Dalton's cap figures are in the $16 - 17 million dollar range per year for the next three years and there would be no dead cap to cut him after a year.

Bills would still move up and likely would not have a #1 or #2 round pick next year....

Why waste draft choices and then cut a guy after 1 year when you can just sign a UFA? 

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A couple of more things on McCarron...

Projected as a second round pick coming out. Good size, ok arm, ok athlete. Smart, 10 inch hands. something to prove. Definitely does not have the upside that some other guys have. 

Nfl.com had a higher grade on him coming out than they do on Mason Rudolph, FWIW. 

McCarron's college tape is on par with the top QB prospects this year. I really wonder if McCarron was coming out this year where he would have went.