Taylor to Browns for 3rd Rd

GG

This is an AMAZING job by Beane. Not ONLY did he get what is basically a late 2nd round pick for a QB they probably would have CUT....he also managed to trade Taylor BEFORE paying his $6 million roster bonus.

Just to be clear: Guys like Jarvis Landry, Robert Quinn, Alec Ogletree, Aqib Talib, and Marcus Peters are netting late round picks or even just SWAPS of picks in the same round. Tyrod Taylor -- who was pretty clearly not in the Bills' long term plans -- just netted the 65th overall pick. AND the Bills don't pay the bonus.

Phenomenal.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Yep.  Now They have no real starting caliber QB and we know how that works out for teams - especially the Bills.  It can be a long time coming before they get a guy that has been as successful as Tyrod and I’m telling you that Foles and Cousins are the product of good coaching and systems - they aren’t transcendent talent otherwise they wouldn’t be on the market. The rookies are no guarantee.  You take your medicine on paying the roster bonus because a third rounder  or any draft pick for that matter is a crapshoot to be a good player.

The Bills weren't going to win a Super Bowl with Tyrod Taylor. If they aren't contenders, why maximize the win total over developing a future that has a chance to have real success?

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Good trade since they were moving in a different direction, but Cleveland just got a lot better and the Bills a lot worse.

simply put ?

Exactly.
But you were perhaps were having fun ? : )
Bills no way do this without a firm plan. Browns gifted them. we all should see that.
More to the story ! and very exciting. This is a fantastic move. and i am a Tyrod fan

Edited by 3rdand12

16 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

It’s dumb to be without a starting caliber QB when you are trying to make deals.  And yes Tyrod is a starting level QB, and not a bad one.  Bills just lost leverage and fallback position.

I think it's VERY likely they have a line on a veteran replacement as a bridge.........they won't go into the draft with only Nate Peterman at QB on the roster, IMO.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

That's why they're the Browns.  With the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL draft the Browns select Josh Allen.

Here is my query Doctor Brown.
Browns gave Bills a sweet deal that NONE of Us expected, might you agree ?
 They must have some sound reasoning to bring Taylor in for that price/pick.
at least a theory. How does Tyrod fit the Browns ? For real I mean.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Fully agree man.

Ive said a few times now that I can't see Beane trading a 2nd + for Foles and still trading up for a QB.

Which is why I don't want to trade for Foles at all. 

I think if we trade for him they likely view him as our starter for a couple/few years at least.

I don't think he's anything more than an average bridge QB. He's 1 year older than Tyrod. He is what he is at this point IMO. We know his ceiling, and it's not as the type of QB who can consistently elevate the team around him. I don't think he will ever be that elite type of QB you DNA compete for championships year in and out with. He's very streaky. He will get hot for a few games and then go cold for stretches. He really only had roughly a handful of games where he's really been great. Otherwise he's been average/mediocre and even poor at times. 

So why not shoot for one of the big 3 draft prospects who have elite potential? 

No risk, no reward! 

We know his ceiling, Super Bowl MVP. Foles has had some rough stretches, but he has had more than a handful of great games. His 2nd year he was incredible, the highest td to int ratio of all time. 27 td.  to 2 int. , over 2800 yds in just 10 games, 119. passer rating. He broke his collarbone and struggled for a couple years. He is also the biggest qb in the league at 6' 6" 245 lbs. Not saying he will be consistently good but at 7 million cap hit he is the perfect bridge if you want to win now and prepare for the future. I say get Foles and the prospect you want.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it's VERY likely they have a line on a veteran replacement as a bridge.........they won't go into the draft with only Nate Peterman at QB on the roster, IMO.   

ya might hope so. eh ?

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

They tried to acquire McCarron knowing they'd need a short term starter and high quality backup when they drafted a QB.  Since they screwed that up, they're 2nd best option was probably Tyrod.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Watch the Browns pull a McDaniel and pull out at the last moment.  

The deal will become void after the Browns lose the paperwork behind the fax machine 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

There is a reason why the Browns went out and got a veteran qb. They just acquired Landry who said that he won't sign a deal with Cleveland if they didn't have a qb. So  even if they sign a rookie qb they have an experienced qb to play with the receiver who they want to sign a deal with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Turk71 said:

We know his ceiling, Super Bowl MVP. Foles has had some rough stretches, but he has had more than a handful of great games. His 2nd year he was incredible, the highest td to int ratio of all time. 27 td.  to 2 int. , over 2800 yds in just 10 games, 119. passer rating. He broke his collarbone and struggled for a couple years. He is also the biggest qb in the league at 6' 6" 245 lbs. Not saying he will be consistently good but at 7 million cap hit he is the perfect bridge if you want to win now and prepare for the future. I say get Foles and the prospect you want.

I agree with you on Foles.           CoF taking calls for membership pledges. PM Me
I am feeling they are going for it. Drafting a QB. Foles should be the icing not the Cake.

good post Turk71 : )

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m guessing the Browns need to get to the cap floor again, just like last year. I’m sure they don’t really want or need Tyrod, nobody does, but they need the cap space eaten up.

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

The browns overpaying or wrongly evaluating a player? Never.

Everybody acting vindicated that Tyrod netted a upper 3rd round pick needs to realize who offered that pick.

It's the Browns.

You can't use their player evaluation as a barometer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fetou said:

The Bills weren't going to win a Super Bowl with Tyrod Taylor. If they aren't contenders, why maximize the win total over developing a future that has a chance to have real success?

Well the Eagles just won a super bowl with a guy that no one thought would win a super bowl because of good coaching and good players around him.  I get what you are saying though, and I think it’s a valid argument, but Tyrod was worth having even with losing out on some cap space and a high 3rd rounder just to maximize the options to have someone for a rookie to be groomed behind.  

This is is why it looks like they are probably close to working out a deal for one of the guys on the market or have traded up into a position to get a QB - it may already be all but announced.   

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They tried to acquire McCarron knowing they'd need a short term starter and high quality backup when they drafted a QB.  Since they screwed that up, they're 2nd best option was probably Tyrod.

it's a reasonable theory.
Tyrod is a different animal than AJ to Coach and make good use of. Can be done though. Is that  what Browns are going to bring?

Run heavy ball protection offense ? Or do they see that maybe he could pass the ball in a different Offense then the Bills ran under Dennison. Must be something to this