Inordinate Amount of Focus on Quarterback

Irv

On 3/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Irv said:

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

Minkah Fitzpatrick.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:21 PM, Irv said:

The most common threads on TBD is about which quarterbacks to dump or obtain.  Almost all note that the last great QB we had was Kelly ~ 20 years ago.  Seems to me there should be at least a little more talk about getting a game changing stud on defense.  We have not had one since Bruce Smith - also 20 years ago.  Why haven't we been able to draft another one?  Failed at that too.  

Buffalo has NEVER drafted a QB in the Top 10. EVER.

Granted it is no guarantee for success, but I truly believe this is one of the reasons the Bills only have had 1 sustained run of excellence over the last 50 years.

The value of a Top 10 QB trickles down. Makes other moves easier and more effective.  This has been neglected for far too long.

It IS that important.

2 hours ago, BuffaninATL said:

Melodramatic much ?

No, I don't think so.  Let's say a realistic expectation for any of these QBs is a career equal to Phillip Rivers.  Are you willing to trade 3 #1 picks plus more to get a QB of that level.  Note that Rivers has not led his team to a lot of playoff games.

On March 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Irv said:

Know where we are with a middling QB and a "big stud" on defense?

On the outside, looking in, as always.

That's why most discussion focuses on the QB.  The sport at the NFL level has mutated to the point where you really have to have one of the very good ones, or you don't have a shot in hell.  The only exception being the rare case where you get lucky and have like a top 5 all time defense.  

And even then I'd bet on the team with the stud QB to beat the great defensive team every time.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I understand where you are coming from.  I personally have tried to stay out of this QB draft talk as much as possible.

My main comments have typically been to the far extremes of the options.

I see Beane "finalizing" his QB rankings and worth (what he is willing to trade for each QB) in the next few days.

Come draft day I am sure he will contact all GM's concerning trade options.  He and his team will do what they can to get

who they can.  I will sure enjoy the draft this year.  Bill's definitely need a QB and it will be exciting.

As to your comment about staying at #12.  Beane has to be wary of Miami and others jumping so if he "over drafts" a bit I see no problem.

From the beginning I had no problem of using (at a minimum) the 2-1st's and the 3rd from the TT trade.  If Beane has to use MORE than that

I sure hope the guy he gets is worth it.

By the way, welcome to the board!

Thanks for the welcome.  Im all for moving up some, maybe make a deal with Tampa or the Colts. I have a good feeling Beane will pull off a deal and hang onto most of our picks.....and get a QB.  This draft will be the best, cant wait!.

On 3/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, gobills1212 said:

end thread

God i cant wait until the draft is over so the daft threads and the weak sauce takes stop.

I was not aware you had power to close threads.

There will just be MORE daft threads because the Bills did not take the QB when the poster wanted giving up only what poster and more daft posts which state thread is ended.  What will NOT be included will be the rejection letters the posters got when they actually applied for jobs.  

They are always working in the mail room (or locker room picking up towels as Leroi found out).

tumblr_ncogg4NnpP1rcb0d2o1_500.png

7 hours ago, #34fan said:

Where did you get this crap? -Daniel Jeremiah?... I actually like next year's Class more than this one!

This is exactly the type of hype the Bills buy into that gets them into trouble...

Is this a joke?

55 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I was not aware you had power to close threads.

There will just be MORE daft threads because the Bills did not take the QB when the poster wanted giving up only what poster and more daft posts which state thread is ended.  What will NOT be included will be the rejection letters the posters got when they actually applied for jobs.  

They are always working in the mail room (or locker room picking up towels as Leroi found out).

tumblr_ncogg4NnpP1rcb0d2o1_500.png

Speaking of weak sauce....

When I agreed with a take and suggested it be the end of the thread - it's not a LITTERAL end of the thread. 

In the same way no one LITTERALLY peed in your limeaid. You just dont seem to get it and act like someone did anyway....

Edited by gobills1212

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I cant believe there are (now multiple) Bills fans trying to downplay the QB position.

This franchise has been a loser almost its entire existence. The common threads throughout its history: too much priority on RB and D, not enough on QB and Head Coaches.

After the way this team floundered for the past 17 years, mostly due to QB play, in what is now a VERY QB-centric league, get out of here with that "too much focus on QB" BS.

This a QB driven league so I agree with those who advocate we need a Franchise QB to win the SB.  However, looking at reality, this is why I argue we need to step lightly and be sure we not only get the right guy but surround him with the right team to let this franchise QB lead the team to an SB win.

I see the argument that we wait on getting our F-QB as these.

1 Darnold- Great prospect, but needs another year of college football before he deserves the declaration of savior.  Too many turnovers in terms of not only INTs but fumbles.  If someone advocates trading the massive amount of resources to move up to #2 to get him make the case.  I have not seen it here yet.

2. Rosen- Maybe the next Peyton Manning, but testimony from even his college HC indicates Rosen might be Ryan Leaf as much as Peyton Manning.  What case do folks want to make this millennial for sure again't gonna fail.

3. Allen- Big mobile guy who hit some big passes at lower tier competition for Wyoming.  The big vertical ball game was unfortunately accompanied with some inaccuracy at shorter and intermediate routes that indicate as good as he is on big throws he isn't the full package.

4.  Mayfield- If you accept the Heisman hype the Bills will need to trade up to get him.  However, if you rank him based  on his play he should be there at @12 and not require the likely fatal move of trading away picks to move up.  Actually on the face of it Mayfield, Rudolph, et al are really second round talents who need a year of seasoning before they are ready to be the leaders and contributors we expect a francise QB to be.

Overall, the smart fooball move is to follow the build the TEAM FIRST and then draft someone like Big Ben to be the essential; franchise QB you need.

Drafting the franchise guy this year MAY happen but looks like a 1 in 4 shot at best from the available talent and even if we're smart enough to pick the right QB, my guess is he mostly spends 2018 running for his life behind an OL that does not used the squandered picks used to move up to replace our holes at C and G  not to mention holes at 2 LB spots and WR.

Trade down is the smart football move.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

Or stay put and re-load... 12 is not too early to grab Da'ron Payne IMO... If Mark Andrews is there at 22, pull the trigger, and you've got another difference maker on the other side of the ball... 53 is a great spot to pick up a WR like Deon Cain... That's two moves and you already improved on both sides of the ball.

Edited by #34fan

13 hours ago, #34fan said:

Where did you get this crap? -Daniel Jeremiah?... I actually like next year's Class more than this one!

This is exactly the type of hype the Bills buy into that gets them into trouble...

You must be smarter than most draftniks, College football analysts and NFL personnel types. It's a wonder they've managed to get along without you to this point. 

9 hours ago, KingRex said:

This a QB driven league so I agree with those who advocate we need a Franchise QB to win the SB.  However, looking at reality, this is why I argue we need to step lightly and be sure we not only get the right guy but surround him with the right team to let this franchise QB lead the team to an SB win.

I see the argument that we wait on getting our F-QB as these.

1 Darnold- Great prospect, but needs another year of college football before he deserves the declaration of savior.  Too many turnovers in terms of not only INTs but fumbles.  If someone advocates trading the massive amount of resources to move up to #2 to get him make the case.  I have not seen it here yet.

2. Rosen- Maybe the next Peyton Manning, but testimony from even his college HC indicates Rosen might be Ryan Leaf as much as Peyton Manning.  What case do folks want to make this millennial for sure again't gonna fail.

3. Allen- Big mobile guy who hit some big passes at lower tier competition for Wyoming.  The big vertical ball game was unfortunately accompanied with some inaccuracy at shorter and intermediate routes that indicate as good as he is on big throws he isn't the full package.

4.  Mayfield- If you accept the Heisman hype the Bills will need to trade up to get him.  However, if you rank him based  on his play he should be there at @12 and not require the likely fatal move of trading away picks to move up.  Actually on the face of it Mayfield, Rudolph, et al are really second round talents who need a year of seasoning before they are ready to be the leaders and contributors we expect a francise QB to be.

Overall, the smart fooball move is to follow the build the TEAM FIRST and then draft someone like Big Ben to be the essential; franchise QB you need.

Drafting the franchise guy this year MAY happen but looks like a 1 in 4 shot at best from the available talent and even if we're smart enough to pick the right QB, my guess is he mostly spends 2018 running for his life behind an OL that does not used the squandered picks used to move up to replace our holes at C and G  not to mention holes at 2 LB spots and WR.

Post of the year.  At this point McCarron is more NFL ready than any of these guys.  Many might never be NFL ready. 

P.S. -  I didn't think Shaw66's posts could get any worse than they were on BBMB but I stand corrected. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember watching Josh Rosen in UCLA's 2015 spring game before he was the undisputed starter at UCLA...

He was simply head and shoulders above the competition... This was true of his timing, accuracy, as well as arm strength... I posted about him before many on this board even knew who he was... In the subsequent years, I took note of games he struggled in, games where he was injured, and the types of injuries he sustained... Teams drafting him should be wary of QB's prone to throwing-shoulder issues... The hits will not get any softer, and recovery (for a nagging injury) typically doesn't get faster with age.. The pro game adds significant mental and physical components that are simply not there at the college level... In other words, I don't question Rosen's talent... I DO question his long term physical, and mental durability in the NFL... I think it'll be an issue... I'd go as far as to say that teams (looking for a day one starter) that cannot protect Josh Rosen completely, (C, LT, RT, G,TE) SHOULD NOT even consider drafting him... Don't do it... Josh Rosen is a gifted passer that will require SUPERIOR protection in order to stay healthy in the NFL, and deliver his product.

Edited by #34fan