CBS Sports: Traspasso - Top Quarterback Strengths and Weaknesses

Chris Traspasso for CBS Sports did a summary on the projected top Quarterbacks in the 2018 NFL Draft in specific categories he believes are essential to be a good QB:

Link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-arm-strength-accuracy-and-everything-to-know-about-qbs/

"2018 NFL Draft rankings: Accuracy, arm strength and everything to know about QBs: This is the first installment in a series that ranks prospects by the skills most vital to their position"

"Everyone knows Josh Allen has the strongest arm in the 2018 NFL Draft, and Lamar Jackson is the most athletic. But who's the best down the field? Which quarterback's the most calm under pressure? Who's most ready to run an NFL offense featuring RPOs?

In one of the most-hyped quarterback classes of this generation, it's vital to break down and rank the individual capabilities of each signal-caller.

The first installment of this series will do exactly that. After closely examining the specific "skills" critical to each position -- in this case, the quarterback spot -- it's time to rank prospects in each facet."

His categories are:

1. Short / Intermediate Accuracy

2. Processing

3. Pocket Movement

4. Decision-Making

5. Passing Under Pressure

6. Deep Accuracy

7. Arm Strength

8. Mobility

9. Scheme Fits: West Coast, Air Coryell, Spread / RPO

I will forewarn you, if you have an agenda going into reading this, you probably won't like it. He does a decent job of giving positives and negatives to all the candidates and includes some of the lesser known QBs as "Sleepers" in certain categories. Also, he gives reasons for his takes, not just regurgitating the same narrative propaganda spewed by one talking head after another. He has some original thoughts to why certain QBs excel in certain areas and why others don't. If you're willing to read with an open mind, it's worth the 5 minutes to get a different perspective..

Disclaimer: if you're not a fan of Rudolph, read with caution.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I like Rudolph more than most here seem to but some of that from Traspasso is just plain wrong.  Number 1 under pressure? Is he sure? I think one of the knocks on Mason Rudolph is his play when pressured up the middle particularly. And while I have argued against the "he's a one read Quarterback" narrative putting him ahead of Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield on progressions feels odd to me. 

Look everyone is entitled to their view. I thought I might have a reputation as a Rudolph homer (I'm not) but Traspasso comes across as having a little bit of a man crush on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Trepasso has had Rudolph as his #1 QB since last year and refuses to come off his prediction. He's really going to hurt his reputation with this nonsense

Agreed 100%. How could every NFL personnel person be wrong? Even guys like Jeremiah who was an actual front office guy. Maybe Trapasso and Rudolph share an agent?

26 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Trepasso has had Rudolph as his #1 QB since last year and refuses to come off his prediction. He's really going to hurt his reputation with this nonsense

That's not entirely accurate....if you follow Traspasso on Twitter ( and I do ), you would see throughout the college football season he did a "Stock Watch" for QBs beginning to end with Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen and yes Rudolph ranked in order and reasoning week in and week out. Rudolph was not at the top of that list for most of the season. Rosen, Darnold were tops, with Jackson coming in the middle of the pack and Allen usually toward the bottom. Fact is Traspasso values accuracy, pocket presence, and ability to lead a scoring Offense higher than the arm as some scouts and fans do. He also provides good reasoning, so why we may disagree with his evaluation, it's not like he's just saying "Oh, well he had almost 5,000 yards so he must be good"....he's taking into account the Offense and the top two WRs he threw to for the season, but he's also looking at the nuances of his play. 

So you may be right that he's doing to die on that hill....but it won't be for shallow or empty purposes. It will simply be that his evaluation is way off and maybe it is...but he makes some interesting points to ponder, at the very least. IMHO....

I don't have to even read this to already know that Mason Rudolph is the best player ever. He will replace Jordan at Nike and they will forever be known as Rudolphs. Also the Lombardi trophy will be renamed after him as well...

Edited by Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed 100%. How could every NFL personnel person be wrong? Even guys like Jeremiah who was an actual front office guy. Maybe Trapasso and Rudolph share an agent?

I have no idea whether Rudolph will be good or not, but, "How could every NFL personnel person be wrong?" Happens all the time. Especially with QBs.

Not to mention, we have no way of knowing where "NFL personnel" actually have Rudolph ranked. Who knows? Some might have him #1 on their boards.

It kills me that people are so sure about things pre-draft, when every single year their are NUMEROUS prospects who end up defying what was perceived as the consensus before the draft (or even during the draft - when great players are passed over again and agin).

I love all the opinions and analyses and predictions, as much as the next guy. And I waste WAY too much of my time on the draft from Feb-April. Love it. But I just don't get how anyone can claim to be sure about their (or others') opinions or act like someone with a different opinion is "obviously" crazy. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I like Chris T's work, he's very thoughtful and explains his reasoning.  I am in agreement with his assessment of all the QBs - except Rudolph.  I don't know if he's wrong, I just don't see it with Rudolph.  Unlike the other QBs,  Rudolph seems to missing something and that's why it's difficult to see something special.  

Having said that, if the Bills take Rudolph at 21 or 22, I'll be excited that the team saw something intriguing as well.  

1 hour ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I have no idea whether Rudolph will be good or not, but, "How could every NFL personnel person be wrong?" Happens all the time. Especially with QBs.

Not to mention, we have no way of knowing where "NFL personnel" actually have Rudolph ranked. Who knows? Some might have him #1 on their boards.

It kills me that people are so sure about things pre-draft, when every single year their are NUMEROUS prospects who end up defying what was perceived as the consensus before the draft (or even during the draft - when great players are passed over again and agin).

I love all the opinions and analyses and predictions, as much as the next guy. And I waste WAY too much of my time on the draft from Feb-April. Love it. But I just don't get how anyone can claim to be sure about their (or others') opinions or act like someone with a different opinion is "obviously" crazy. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Good points, but I just don't understand where Trappaso is coming from. 

I have to trust the opinions of the Mayocks, Jeremiahs, Kipers, and McShays of the world over Trappaso. Especially a guy like DJ who is a former scout who is still plugged in. Those draft gurus study a ton of film and have been doing it forever. They are plugged into what NFL personnel people believe. I'm saying that no one else at all is saying what Trappaso is saying, except for people on this board. I think if NFL personnel people felt good about Rudolph, it would be reflected in what these guys are saying and their big boards. And even though I am nobody, the things I see reflect what the expert consensus seems to be...that's it's Rosen, Darnold, Allen in whatever order....Mayfield and Jackson....then a huge drop off. Part of the draft is projection and potential, and those guys all have that. Rudolph does not. 

And I disagree that the draft is full of surprises. Yeah some guys are over drafted and some guys slip, but for the most part guys tend to go where they are supposed to. Do guys like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady surprise people? Sure...but the draft usually goes the way it is projected. Sometimes guys slip a round when teams start drafting for need, but the top fifty guys are usually the top fifty guys. The mocks are always wrong, but the round guys go in is usually on point. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Good post.  For sure nobody really knows how NFL teams view these guys, but for sure there are differing opinions between how teams view a given player.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't have to even read this to already know that Mason Rudolph is the best player ever. He will replace Jordan at Nike and they will forever be known as Rudolphs. Also the Lombardi trophy will be renamed after him as well...

Yep.

I think one day children will sing a song about how he overcame the doubters to become an unlikely hero........and then how all the doubters had to eat crow and pretend it taste like chicken and acknowledge his place in history.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Good points, but I just don't understand where Trappaso is coming from. 

I have to trust the opinions of the Mayocks, Jeremiahs, Kipers, and McShays of the world over Trappaso. Especially a guy like DJ who is a former scout who is still plugged in. Those draft gurus study a ton of film and have been doing it forever. They are plugged into what NFL personnel people believe. I'm saying that no one else at all is saying what Trappaso is saying, except for people on this board. I think if NFL personnel people felt good about Rudolph, it would be reflected in what these guys are saying and their big boards. And even though I am nobody, the things I see reflect what the expert consensus seems to be...that's it's Rosen, Darnold, Allen in whatever order....Mayfield and Jackson....then a huge drop off. Part of the draft is projection and potential, and those guys all have that. Rudolph does not. 

And I disagree that the draft is full of surprises. Yeah some guys are over drafted and some guys slip, but for the most part guys tend to go where they are supposed to. Do guys like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady surprise people? Sure...but the draft usually goes the way it is projected. Sometimes guys slip a round when teams start drafting for need, but the top fifty guys are usually the top fifty guys. The mocks are always wrong, but the round guys go in is usually on point. 

Fair enough. You're right that while there are always surprises, for the most part guys do go roughly where the "consensus" in the draft media had them, give or take a round. Although that tends to be truer for the late predictions in April than for the earlier ones (at least that's my vague impression). I'm just arguing against the practice of immediately writing off all outlier opinions. Just look at the commentary after any mock draft. "There's NO way that guy will go there" etc. There's always a way. I'm not saying you're doing that.

Anyway, I have no dog in the Rudolph fight. He certainly put up impressive numbers. But we've seen that before. Seems pretty sharp in the few interview clips I've seen. If the Bills do grab the guy somehow, we'll all be praying that Trapasso is right - though it sounds like some of us will be jumping out a window before training camp even gets here!

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

...and the dichotomy is that Brylcream Mel has Allen as his #1, not coming off his prediction as well......hardly fact but not necessarily fiction....both are analytical opinions so stay tuned....PLENTY of draft gaffes in NFL lore....Ditka's "my whole draft for Ricky"....from the preeminent GM in the NFL, Boy Danny Snyder's king's ransom for RG II 5/8......can't forget Brylcream Mel's exchange with Tobin in 1994.........McShay snickering on ESPN as he called Bflo pick at #12 for Marshawn a "reach of a bust"......throw in Mel's drool over Tony Mandarich as a "man among boys...a behemoth".....and the list goes on..............

7 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Fair enough. You're right that while there are always surprises, for the most part guys do go roughly where the "consensus" in the draft media had them, give or take a round. Although that tends to be truer for the late predictions in April than for the earlier ones (at least that's my vague impression). I'm just arguing against the practice of immediately writing off all outlier opinions. Just look at the commentary after any mock draft. "There's NO way that guy will go there" etc. There's always a way. I'm not saying you're doing that.

Anyway, I have no dog in the Rudolph fight. He certainly put up impressive numbers. But we've seen that before. Seems pretty sharp in the few interview clips I've seen. If the Bills do grab the guy somehow, we'll all be praying that Trapasso is right - though it sounds like some of us will be jumping out a window before training camp even gets here!

Just had a baby a month ago so no window jumping for me! But yes I really won't be happy about it, but I will support the team 100%. I honestly wish I loved Rudolph because he will be available without a trade up. I just can't see what others see. If I'm wrong will certainly be ready to eat my plate of crow. 

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and the dichotomy is that Brylcream Mel has Allen as his #1, not coming off his prediction as well......hardly fact but not necessarily fiction....both are analytical opinions so stay tuned....PLENTY of draft gaffes in NFL lore....Ditka's "my whole draft for Ricky"....from the preeminent GM in the NFL, Boy Danny Snyder's king's ransom for RG II 5/8......can't forget Brylcream Mel's exchange with Tobin in 1994.........McShay snickering on ESPN as he called Bflo pick at #12 for Marshawn a "reach of a bust"......throw in Mel's drool over Tony Mandarich as a "man among boys...a behemoth".....and the list goes on..............

I think the difference is that there have been murmurs around that Allen could go #1, going all the way back to Schefter's report during last year's draft. There are others that have this opinion, and it wouldn't be crazy to see. If it happens, there will be people questioning the move, but the consensus is that he's a first round quarterback with huge potential. Trappaso looks like a crazy person all alone on "the world is actually flat" island. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just had a baby a month ago so no window jumping for me! But yes I really won't be happy about it, but I will support the team 100%. I honestly wish I loved Rudolph because he will be available without a trade up. I just can't see what others see. If I'm wrong will certainly be ready to eat my plate of crow. 

I think the difference is that there have been murmurs around that Allen could go #1, going all the way back to Schefter's report during last year's draft. There are others that have this opinion, and it wouldn't be crazy to see. If it happens, there will be people questioning the move, but the consensus is that he's a first round quarterback with huge potential. Trappaso looks like a crazy person all alone on "the world is actually flat" island. 

...LMAO....a Genome Smith disciple?......the whole gamut is all about opinion which sells......the GM's and their scouting grunts never show their cards and rightfully so....and even their picks are actually "opinion" based on substantial research as well as personnel prowess with no money back guarantees or refunds for busts....but yet the fickle here want McBeane fired if he misses on this, his first draft...go figure.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO....a Genome Smith disciple?......the whole gamut is all about opinion which sells......the GM's and their scouting grunts never show their cards and rightfully so....and even their picks are actually "opinion" based on substantial research as well as personnel prowess with no money back guarantees or refunds for busts....but yet the fickle here want McBeane fired if he misses on this, his first draft...go figure.....

Can I get a refund on JP Losman and perhaps Torell Troup? It be nice to have Aaron Rodgers and Gronk. 

Ill take store credit for EJ Manuel and slew of other crap draft picks over he last 20 or so years. 

I will say that McBeane's tenure will be defined by the quarterback pick they make this year. They grossly mishandled things with Tyrod and Peterman last year and they need to do this over. Drafting an ordinary guy is just not going to get it done. The 6th or 7th best quarterback cannot be the plan. I think they want to get one of Rosen, Darnold, or Allen. Anything short of that doesn't really move the needle in my opinion. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Can I get a refund on JP Losman and perhaps Torell Troup? It be nice to have Aaron Rodgers and Gronk. 

Ill take store credit for EJ Manuel and slew of other crap draft picks over he last 20 or so years. 

...pretty obvious that "practice did NOT make perfect" and post Polian is a pretty damn good indicator.....you know the gory details on what you cited with no need for a painful rehash.....at the same time, I think that McBeane and his pretty formidable staff of seasoned NFL personnel execs (they wold be Pegula paid) sure as hell deserve a shot with this being their FIRST COLLECTIVE DRAFT as a personnel team and even get 2019 IMO...sure as hell look better (on paper so far) versus the patchwork crap post Polian of non-football people in positions unqualified for or employing those beyond their prime because "trust" triumphed over ability...

• Like (+1) 1