Does your company close under real bad weather?

Another Fan

My employ only shuts down during hurricanes, last one was Irma... however, during the usual gas leaks and bomb threats kind of stuff we work straight through.

Homecare agency.  We will close the office if there is a state of emergency or travel ban and everyone in the office gets the day paid for by the company.  Direct care staff always have to report though regardless of weather or travel restrictions.  We closed last Friday due to a travel ban and closed last year during Winter Storm Stella.  I used to be a 7 minute walk to work and we never closed since I could always report.  Thankfully I moved, now we all get snow days! :lol:

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I work in a healthcare facility so it's always open.  Gonna have to drive home in a snow storm later. 

The last time we were in NYC during a storm we saw garbage trucks plowing streets..I've never seen that before.

The company I work for let’s department heads decide if employees need to come in. One department head didn’t allow their employees to bring their laptops home but has promised an “executive lunch” for all those that show up.

Unfortunatley the head of my department hasn’t said employees can’t work from home, I don’t have a laptop, but if you don’t come in you have to use a vacation day or forfeit pay for the day.

2 hours ago, simool said:

I call the ball at my job. Since I live in BFE and have the longest/hardest commute in inclement weather, we never close.  Pretty sure everyone hates me.

Don’t worry, I’m sure inclement weather decisions aren’t the only reason.   :)

• Haha (+1) 1

School is closed tomorrow, but I was planning on taking the day off anyway.  Tough thing is that I have to drive to Boston in the morning.  My son’s hockey team is having a little scrimmage during the first period intermission at the Bruins/Flyers game.  The drive is going to be scary.  I’d bail, but I have over $500 invested in this trip between tickets and hotel.

17 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm in manufacturing,  so rarely. I've been here 12 years and they shut down 3 times for snow and once for a hurricane. 

Same here.  Damn the torpedo's - keep those lines running.  And if your supplier shuts down or has issues due to weather - UNACCEPTABLE!!  I once told upper management that as a corrective action for a supplier not getting parts to us on time due to weather / snow that we should build a bubble over the NE.

God what a bunch of pusses in other cities.   Thursday night in Buffalo we got a foot.   Got into work about 20 minutes late Friday ,morning because i had to clean off the car.  The road were clear.