Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

Not saying he can’t play just that the odds of a really good nfl Qb being 6’ or less is small. Not high enough to take in the first 15 picks.

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

I trust the combine measurements. 

I generally do too. Maybe LT is taller than listed. But anyway there definitely wasn’t much difference between the two!

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just a few QB's I will name to show 6'1 is not to small

Drew Brees  6'

Russell Wilson 5'10

Aaron Rogers 6'2

Dak Prescott 6'2

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Think we are being over critical over an inch or 2? Is it now how there motion is in the pocket and there foresight knowing where the player is going to be and where the ball has to be more important?

just a wondering question.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/29/wait-how-tall-is-baker-mayfield-how-tall-is-russell-wilson/

5 minutes ago, Bring it said:

Not saying he can’t play just that the odds of a really good nfl Qb being 6’ or less is small. Not high enough to take in the first 15 picks.

I generally do too. Maybe LT is taller than listed. But anyway there definitely wasn’t much difference between the two!

They are small odds but not at draft time. Short QBs who make it to the draft have even or better odds than an average or tall QB. It’s because only trancendant talent can get a short QB to the draft. 

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

He doesn't have ideal size, period. Still a great prospect, but it does matter. 

The only question you have to ask. Is he good enough to overcome it? 

Hold your thumb and index finger about two inches apart. That is what we are talking about. Yeah, 6'4 would be better, but 6' 1 is big enough.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No one has been able to list a single QB that didn't make it because of their height. It's a ridiculous reason to dismiss someone. Anything above 6' is fine in the NFL.

I think that list is just hard to quantify. There are a lot of smaller college quarterbacks who haven't made it and there are a handful who have. The problem with listing guys who haven't made it, was it just height or a number of things that caused them to fail? 

Guys like Joe Hamilton and Pat White who lit up college football and did not make it. Was it because they were too small? I don't really know. Cade McNown, Ty Detmer, Rex Grossman, Tyrod Taylor, Timmy Chang...these are all guys who lit up college football who were 6-1 or less and did not make it. Some had a bit of success in the NFL. 

Quarterbacks under 6-2 who are good are few and far between and that is the point. It it is easier to list the guys who have made it. Vick, Wilson, Brees, Flutie, Tarkenton, Jurgensen, Len Dawson, Theissmaan. That is 8 guys in the entire history of the game, 4 of whom played in a time where everyone was smaller across the board, so really just 4 guys and Flutie and Vick are questionable. Wilson is a ridiculous athlete with huge hands and Brees has huge hands and ridiculous accuracy. 

I like Mayfield, and I think he has a chance, but history is not on his side. He is a short, spread quarterback, who lacks speed, with slightly smaller hands. These are all legit concerns if you are drafting him super high. 

In a lot of his college film he took super deep drops and ran around to buy himself some time. This is not going to work in the NFL. He is going to have be able to have to make throws within a collapsing pocket and step up into that pocket with 6-5 lineman in his face. We saw what running around in a circle got us with Tyrod, but at least he ran 4.5. It's tough. Do I think he can do it? Maybe, but you can't say that these are not legitimate concerns with Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Tyrod and Flutie come to mind.

So a sixth round talent and a guy from the 1980's. I will note that Tyrod is the second most successful 6th round QB of the last 20 years. And Doug did alright for an 11th round pick 

Edited by Batman1876

I consider Mayfield an exception to the rule when it comes to the height stuff.

He has incredible production against some of the best in the country.  His intangibles are off the charts. Leadership qualities.  Accuracy is fantastic.  Can make all the throws. 

If he was some run-of-the-mill QB with semi-impressive stats against average competition, then I can see the height issue being a thing.

But there have been many QB's that have come into the league and have thrived despites some negative attributes through sheer will, and Mayfield comes across as that type of someone.

I would love if the Bills took him or Darnold.  The others concern me.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

So which QBs have been limited due to height?

Flutie had good games with the Bills but then opponents started to game plan to keep him contained in the pocket and he wasn't as effective.  

5 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just a few QB's I will name to show 6'1 is not to small

Drew Brees  6'

Russell Wilson 5'10

Aaron Rogers 6'2

Dak Prescott 6'2

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Think we are being over critical over an inch or 2? Is it now how there motion is in the pocket and there foresight knowing where the player is going to be and where the ball has to be more important?

just a wondering question.

Being able to move in the pocket sure can help. Because of his height he will have to be a little better at another skill to break even with a guy with the gift of being a little taller.

thats all.

• Like (+1) 1