Who is your "not with a 10 foot pole" first round pick?

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I saw throws of Watson that floated and hung because of lack of arm strength......I see bullets from lamar because he has SUPERIOR arm strength......I see balls that hit WR's righ the hands on Lamar's passes

What exactly is it that you think you see?

Athletism is not a bad thing....it is in fact a sport

It isn't the only thing, especially for a QB. That is the only thing he has going for him, IMO. Pure athleticism.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I saw throws of Watson that floated and hung because of lack of arm strength......I see bullets from lamar because he has SUPERIOR arm strength......I see balls that hit WR's righ the hands on Lamar's passes

What exactly is it that you think you see?

Athletism is not a bad thing....it is in fact a sport

I just told you.

After a friend of mine did some film work and studying for his draft site, I have changed my mind:

I have Rosen, Jackson, and Mayfield pretty close. Rosen is the prototype (and deservedly) but the other two's production and the way they carried their offenses is undeniable. Probably have Mayfield 3rd based on age if nothing else; Mayfield may be the more productive passer now, but he's also two years older. How good will Rosen and Jackson be in two years?

Any of them I'd be happy with a top-5 pick on.

Darnold I have later toward the first; there are more flaws and downsides there. Still I think he's probably worth taking a chance on.

Rudolph I have as a second-rounder but not a lot of confidence in that grade until I watch more tape.

Allen is more like an end of day 2 pick for me, and that's all on upside (and I wouldn't be heartbroken in the least if I missed him in the third or even the fourth). He'll go in the first though, for the same reasons I had Christian Hackenberg UDFA and he still went in the second.

So I wouldn't touch Josh Allen with a 1-foot pole. 

Edited by Domdab99

8 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

Josh Allen.  The guy screams EJ Manuel to me.

Oh J**** C*****.  There literally isn’t one aspect of playing the quarterback position that Josh Allen isn’t a vastly superior prospect at than EJ Manuel was.

We’re talking about a guy who could very well go first overall in a good draft vs. a guy who should have and was projected to go in the third round in quite possibly the worst draft in NFL history.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

On 3/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, DCOrange said:

No he's not. Brown was 21 years old at the Combine.

Age isnt a testing metric

On 3/5/2018 at 11:52 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Vick had a pretty good career. 

Tebow wasn’t the best athlete in the draft!! He threw the ball like a girl. Jackson has a cannon. 

I’m not saying that Jackson will be good or bad but he has little (to nothing) in common with Tebow as a prospect. He has a lot of Vick in him. He has a high-ceiling and low-floor. Allen is the same way IMO.

No way... Tebow was definitely faster than McCluster and Spiller. More dynamic than Dez Bryant. Who is that Rob Gronkowski? Seem to remember a young safety Taylor Mays. Fast, and weeckless abandon.

On 3/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, DCOrange said:

Going off of Mel Kiper's mock draft:

Kolton Miller

Orlando Brown

Calvin Ridley

Derrius Guice

James Washington

Geron Christian

Donte Jackson

And not included in Mel's mock as a 1st rounder but just to reiterate, Mason Rudolph.

I'll leave Rudolph aside for a second because you and I have discussed our differences on him previously.  Other than that I like your list. I do have first round grades on Brown (I know he had a stinking combine) and Ridley but they are the lowest grade I give that is still a 1st round grade.  They are 18 and 19 on my board respectively at the moment which sounds quite high... but I only have 19 first round graded players.  I really am not a fan of this draft class.  

Guice and Washington I think are 2nd round talents but given the lack of legitimate 1st round talents wouldn't surprise me if they went in the 1st but Christian, Jackson and Kolton Miller should be nowhere near the 1st round.  

On 3/5/2018 at 9:58 AM, Rc2catch said:

I’m gonna go off the QB here. And say Barkley. Generational talent. Off the charts in everything. Possible #1 pick. 

But running back is probably the most dangerous position in football, and the shelf life if the shortest. If I’m dropping a top 3-5 pick I’m not taking a running back. I want a player who should be with the team 7-10 years. (Browns have 1 and 4 so I get it if they draft him) but me personally for the sake of this specific conversation I’m avoiding running back in the first round. 

It also seems to me that running back is a position where 1 major injury can lead you to fall off a cliff much quicker than any other position. I also feel like really good backs are found in later rounds more often than other positions. As good as Barkley can be (I think he has AP levels of potential) I think you are better off trying to get a QB if you are the Browns and then hope he falls to pick 4 where it is a lower (although still high) level of risk. 

In general the earliest I would draft a RB is the mid to late 1st. It seems like Pass rushers, QB's, CB's, and OT's are all a lot harder to come by. 

On 3/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, Commonsense said:

Yeah let's ignore the fact that this ultra productive college QB struggles understanding plays on a whiteboard! I'm sure he will be better understanding plays when 300 pound monsters are chasing him!

Yikes!! 

How do you know that?

"Hell, No, He's not a Guard"

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure he was in every room talking to Jackson along with the coaches and GM

'cmon

Oh my. I'm sure a guy that worked for NFL Network and is currently working for SI has legitimate contacts inside real NFL buildings. That's a heck of a lot more than any average fan can offer and it's worth mentioning. So now Schrager, Breer, and Doug Gottleib all know nothing and have ill intentions while reporting on Lamar Jackson. 

Find someone to go on twitter and harass them about it I'm sure they will be happy to respond to that nonsense. 

Real NFL reporters. Fans. Know the difference. Zzzzz.

On 3/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, thebandit27 said:

Understand that I haven't read that, so I'm taking your word for it.

That said, if an "unnamed team" told a reporter that a guy didn't acquit himself well on the white board, it could be true, or it could be nonsense.  This is a time for misinformation.

I have Jackson as my QB4, but one of the things that I liked about his improved passing from So to Jr season is that he showed the ability to read the whole field and manipulate DBs with his progression.  It would surprise me if he were substantially behind the other guys--especially Darnold, who made mostly half-field, RPO, hi-lo style reads.

Where I could see Jackson possibly being behind the other guys is in the WCO style play terminology or even the Coryell style.

EP play terminology is typically 1-3 words: one for the Left side, one for the Right side, sometimes one for protections.

A WCO play call may be 15 words and has something telling everyone what to do: "Red right tight close swap G U corner halfback flat"

So coaches might have to separate out his ability to pick up and translate the terminology, from his ability to understand what the progressions and options are (defense does this, I look for that and throw there).

And for all I know, he might not be "all that", I just doubt 1) Jackson has done or is doing a whiteboard session with Breer 2) GMs seriously looking for a QB are all over doling him the straight gouge on their impressions