Schefter: Cousins List Down To 4 Teams (No Bills)

I'm not givin up hope.  Let's see what we're hearing in a week.  

If the Bills have dropped out, to me it means Beane won't write a big contract for anyone until he's SURE, and sure means he's been on the team and has shown everything that they want.   

Just now, Shaw66 said:

If the Bills have dropped out, to me it means Beane won't write a big contract for anyone until he's SURE, and sure means he's been on the team and has shown everything that they want.   

It could also mean we already have a deal in place to trade up and take a top QB. Getting a top 10 QB on a rookie deal for a few years is the hope.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that if they were serious about bidding for Cousins, they wouldn’t be willing to pay Taylor’s $6M bonus.

I think it's a both a value judgment on Cousins as well as the idea of paying him big money going against his philosophy on how to build a team. 

We should all be celebrating like we just won the lottery...we avoided paying huge money to a slightly above average QB (see Andy Dalton) who is going to get paid like he is Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees

Edited by matter2003

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think it's a both a value judgment on Cousins as well as the idea of paying him big money going against his philosophy on how to build a team. 

Agreed.  I am not dissing Cousins - he is good, but I don’t think he is going to single-handedly carry a poor supporting cast - he wasn’t able to carry the Skins to success.  For what he will get, the “winning” team will have to cut corners elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It could also mean we already have a deal in place to trade up and take a top QB. Getting a top 10 QB on a rookie deal for a few years is the hope.

I just can't imagine Beane giving up a boatload of picks to get into the top 5.   I'll be astounded if that happens.   

I think it means they'll sit tight in the draft, maybe move up to 10-15 if they see an opportunity.   Then they'll take the best QB they can, and they'll go to camp with Taylor, Peterman and the rookie.   Unless the rookie looks great, Taylor will be your 2018 starter.   2019 starter will be Taylor, if he has a great 2018 or Peterman or the rookie, whoever emerges.   

What I don't like about that is that with Cousins you can have a solid starter who may turn out to be great but who at least will be a good deal better than Taylor until you find the guy who IS great.   

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I just can't imagine Beane giving up a boatload of picks to get into the top 5.   I'll be astounded if that happens.   

I think it means they'll sit tight in the draft, maybe move up to 10-15 if they see an opportunity.   Then they'll take the best QB they can, and they'll go to camp with Taylor, Peterman and the rookie.   Unless the rookie looks great, Taylor will be your 2018 starter.   2019 starter will be Taylor, if he has a great 2018 or Peterman or the rookie, whoever emerges.   

What I don't like about that is that with Cousins you can have a solid starter who may turn out to be great but who at least will be a good deal better than Taylor until you find the guy who IS great.   

I see it similarly.

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The opinions vary but to go to 10 in my mind would require more than our two 2018 first round picks.  Going to 15 would require one first and one second.  I'm not in favor of a trade up that far but I could live with it.  As far as JJ's draft guide and so forth it does not matter as it is all about supply and demand this year.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

For those who want the Bills to trade up (this includes me): It is in the Bills' best interest for the Broncos to win the Cousins sweepstakes. Elway has already stated that the #5 pick is up for grabs "depending how things play out in free agency". The 5 spot, obviously, will require less capital to obtain than the #2 or #3. Assuming Barkley and Chubb go in the top 5, that means two of the big four are guaranteed to be available at the 5th pick. So...Fingers crossed for Denver to get the job done.

The big four might not be perceived as the big 4 by Beane and co.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

All true, but the current value of those assets acquired last year are a lot lower than they expected.  When they made that deal, I imagine that they thought their own pick would be in the top 10 and KC’s pick about where it ended up.   Now, it will take both picks just to get to where they thought their own pick would be.  Also pretty sure that they thought the 2nd from the Rams would be a lot earlier than it is.  I suspect they expected to have picks around 10, 22, 42 and 45.  Instead, they have 21, 22, 53 and 56.

They will have to adjust their strategy.

This would not surprise me and would have lessened the volume of draft capital to move up.

4 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

What makes you think that if the Bills traded up to pick 5 that the Jets wouldn't try to trade up to #4 (or higher)?????

That trade is predicated on Denver being on the clock at 5 and the Jest still sitting at 6.

6 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

That trade is predicated on Denver being on the clock at 5 and the Jest still sitting at 6.

No reason why the Jets could not approach Denver at that point.  It's not like the Jets' pick at 6 is spent.  They have far more cap room NOW to address a half dozen other positions so they could throw in their second and another high pick from 2019 if the bidding became intense.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I want him to go to Denver or jets but Minnesota makes the most sense from both sides. They are only team that is both a “QB away” and has the requisite cap space. 

I'd bet playing in a dome has to appeal to Cousins, too.

57 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Arizona would look good with cousins

Can someone catch me up on why the Redskins just tagged him for so long and is just willing to let him go? For Alex Smith lol

Hard to say exactly.   

Stories are Gruden was never a fan (aka not happy s guy *) so he never wanted to commit to him long term and deemed the last 2 seasons as a prove it season.  Hard to prove it when the team dumps your top back and 2 thousand yard receivers.  

* He was “stuck” with a guy he didn’t want.    Kind of like.......   

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

No reason why the Jets could not approach Denver at that point.  It's not like the Jets' pick at 6 is spent.  They have far more cap room NOW to address a half dozen other positions so they could throw in their second and another high pick from 2019 if the bidding became intense.

Jets have 2- 2nd round picks, both higher than the Bills.

5 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets

Money must of really scared McBeane away. If Cousins ends up being Brees, it will be yet another lost opportunity to add to the list.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-kirk-cousins-list-down-172441354.html

First of all, not sure why you assume that Beane was scared away.  Perhaps Cousins is not interested in the Bills?  Perhaps the Bills do not believe Cousins is all that capable?  In this they would be in agreement with the Redskins.    Second, there is absolutely no valid comparison between Brees and Cousins.  None.  I am very happy the Bills are not involved in this particular sweepstakes , regardless of the reasons.   

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly.  Whoever is dumb enough to sign him deserves everything they get. $30+M for a very mediocre qb reeks of pure desperation. Find a proven veteran free agent or take your chances in the draft.

I'd have loved to see us get Cousins. He's good enough to make a good team Super Bowl competitive right away. And yeah his salary will be tough to pay. A smart team will be able to get around it.

Having said that, we have no idea whether teams have been put on or off the list because they wanted to be there or for whatever reasons Cousins wanted. The latter seems likely.

In any case, this was never a likely way for the Bills to go. They've said from minute one that they believe in building through the draft, they've sliced salaries from the first minute they got here, and they both come from a very fiscally conservative team and have said nothing but fiscally conservative things. They have always been unlikely to build with Cousins. I think Cousins would have been terrific here, but that's not the way the process works. 

54 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Hard to say exactly.   

Stories are Gruden was never a fan (aka not happy s guy *) so he never wanted to commit to him long term and deemed the last 2 seasons as a prove it season.  Hard to prove it when the team dumps your top back and 2 thousand yard receivers.  

* He was “stuck” with a guy he didn’t want.    Kind of like.......   

And then when he did decide he wanted him, Cousins was no longer interested. He's said that he wants to go somewhere he's comfortable and wanted. Seems like when he felt comfortable, the team wasn't yet convinced and that when they really wanted him, the GM/owner/coach weren't able to get Cousins back interested.

Horrible way to handle this by Washington. They did the best they could with a terrible situation by bringing in Smith. But they screwed things up there bad.

6 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I don't understand how he could possibly know the final list of teams when teams haven't even been able to talk to him. Just seems like fake news... Headline should say Atleast 4 Teams prepared to Offer Cousins. How does he know that Cousins would like those 4 and not any other when he can't even talk to them

I shared your puzzlement.  Here is a good explanation of how it really works.https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb