Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson, food for thought.

Thinking of a player like Quenton Nelson brought up a question to my mind. Would you be willing to trade both 1st rd picks, and possibly a little bit more, for a player that you thought would be a future HOFer, regardless of position? To add to that, a position that was not of need? I would if it was a slam dunk kind of player. 

These questions brought Quenton Nelson to mind. We actually do have a need for an OG/OL that looks to be a once in a lifetime player. Incognito is long in tooth and we don’t have anyone else currently on the roster that remotely resembles a big time OL.

In reflection I would give this some serious thought. We could have one nasty OL with a player of this caliber. If the Bills were to retain Cordy, our OL would consist with Dawkins LT, Incognito LG, Groy C, Nelson RG and Glenn RT. Now that Beane and McDermott have fully committed to Shady imagine what kind of wonders he could do behind an OL like this.

Grabbing a FA QB (Keenum?) or even using Taylor as a serviceable QB could work. Hey, the Ravens with Trent Dilfer and the Buccaneers with Brad Johnson proved that teams can win, even Super Bowls, with game managers at the QB position. Using the rest of our early rd picks, our 2 2nd rd and our 3rd rd picks, for defense with some key FAs sprinkled in would make this a solid roster. 

On offense if the Bills could retain WR Jordan Matthews and grab a fly pattern type WR like FA Tavon Austin, or players like them, would make our offense more than potent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/quenton-nelson-could-become-a-top-pick-despite-his-position/

Of course I’m not expecting anything like this to ever to really happen but I bring it up just to think a little bit outside of the box because I have a feeling that we are all going to be very surprised by what Beane is about to do in this draft. I think that expecting the unexpected would be the best way to prepare for in this upcoming draft. Beane has already proven that he is not at all intimidated by making the tough decisions, whether if they work out or not, and/or willing to take big risks. This should be very interesting watching what he is going to do in free agency and the draft.

This is a sort of 'devil's advocate' OP, tbh. But I'll play, and add in a little something for consideration.

The O-Line set up mentioned above, looks pretty darn good. Personally, I'd very much like to see a healthy Glenn return, and man the RT spot. Glenn is not a guy who is getting past his prime, he's just coming into it, and while injury concerns are legitimate, the cap cost for production at the tackle position, isn't.

How much of a reason for Prescott looking so good, so early, is due to having probably the best O-Line in the NFL, in front of him? And a star RB to hand off to.

While it certainly seems to me that there is enough QB talent kicking around, in both FA and the draft, for us to be seriously looking to upgrade there, I could get behind such a move made by the FO, as itcould easily prove to be successful.

Nelson is the best OL prospect I've seen since Joe Thomas. Unfortunately, we have way too many holes and you don't move up for a OG. He is likely going to go to multiple Pro Bowls though, wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in the HOF.

Rosen or Darnold I'd trade up for, I'm not educated enough to determine if Baker Mayfield would be worth moving up for, I have faith in Beane and coach McD, but QB is the only position worth giving up multiple 1sts for.

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Thinking of a player like Quenton Nelson brought up a question to my mind. Would you be willing to trade both 1st rd picks, and possibly a little bit more, for a player that you thought would be a future HOFer, regardless of position? To add to that, a position that was not of need? I would if it was a slam dunk kind of player. 

These questions brought Quenton Nelson to mind. We actually do have a need for an OG/OL that looks to be a once in a lifetime player. Incognito is long in tooth and we don’t have anyone else currently on the roster that remotely resembles a big time OL.

In reflection I would give this some serious thought. We could have one nasty OL with a player of this caliber. If the Bills were to retain Cordy, our OL would consist with Dawkins LT, Incognito LG, Groy C, Nelson RG and Glenn RT. Now that Beane and McDermott have fully committed to Shady imagine what kind of wonders he could do behind an OL like this.

Grabbing a FA QB (Keenum?) or even using Taylor as a serviceable QB could work. Hey, the Ravens with Trent Dilfer and the Buccaneers with Brad Johnson proved that teams can win, even Super Bowls, with game managers at the QB position. Using the rest of our early rd picks, our 2 2nd rd and our 3rd rd picks, for defense with some key FAs sprinkled in would make this a solid roster. 

On offense if the Bills could retain WR Jordan Matthews and grab a fly pattern type WR like FA Tavon Austin, or players like them, would make our offense more than potent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/01/quenton-nelson-could-become-a-top-pick-despite-his-position/

Of course I’m not expecting anything like this to ever to really happen but I bring it up just to think a little bit outside of the box because I have a feeling that we are all going to be very surprised by what Beane is about to do in this draft. I think that expecting the unexpected would be the best way to prepare for in this upcoming draft. Beane has already proven that he is not at all intimidated by making the tough decisions, whether if they work out or not, and/or willing to take big risks. This should be very interesting watching what he is going to do in free agency and the draft.

No

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If I were guaranteed a Hall of Famer? Maybe at QB or pass rusher. Any other position, no. A position of no need, absolutely not.

First round choices are too valuable.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm generally against big trade-ups... a few slots, OK, but moving 10+ slots up is too expensive.  The idea that anyone is a "future HOFer"... maybe, maybe not.  I don't watch college football, so don't know any of these players, just consume lots media on players leading up to draft.  

So many can't miss players busted out at every position over the years that nobody should be so arrogant as to declare anyone a "future HOFer"... you name the position and we can start crowd-sourcing "can't miss" busts.  Just on OL picked in the top 6 picks and clearly considered perennial pro-bowlers for a decade leading up to the draft; Tony Mandarich (#2), Greg Robinson (#2), Luke Joeckel (#2),  Jonathan Cooper (#6),  Jason Smith (#1), Andre Smith (#2), Robert Gallery (#2), Leonard Davis (#2)... and oh yeah... Mike Williams (#4) 

Edited by cage

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack come to mind as the best Guard prospects that had game altering potential.

You see how that one worked out

And I think Nelson is a better prospect than them but I see him being a 10 year starter who might go to 4 or 5 pro-bowls and be a couple of times all pro.  Think Josh Sitton level production.  Sitton was a 4th round pick and has obviously massively out performed that but he isn't going into the HoF.  The only guard of this era who you might make that case for is Marshal Yanda.  

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

This is a really really bad idea. You never trade 2 #1 picks plus a little more of a Guard. I would never do it and I pray the Bills will never be as reckless as that go to make that move

2 firsts  or "2 firsts and maybe a little more" to get a chance at a non-QB?  I wouldn't, not even for a pass rusher.  Even to get a QB, I'd have to be guaranteed that my QB was there, so it would have to be when the trade partner was on the clock ... unless it was the #1 pick of course.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

2 firsts  or "2 firsts and maybe a little more" to get a chance at a non-QB?  I wouldn't, not even for a pass rusher.  Even to get a QB, I'd have to be guaranteed that my QB was there, so it would have to be when the trade partner was on the clock ... unless it was the #1 pick of course.

We had a GM who traded 2 # 1’s for a “generational talent” at WR.  It ended up getting him fired a few seasons later 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

We had a GM who traded 2 # 1’s for a “generational talent” at WR.  It ended up getting him fired a few seasons later 

He didn't get fired for Sammy.  If anything his atrocious 2016 draft class got him fired.  But the reality is it was the fact he wasn't totally aligned with McDermott and the Pegulas finally wanted to get away from having two different agendas in the building.