Preston Brown thinks he can help the Patriots

Domdab99

2 hours ago, Doc said:

At his salary, he needs to be top-5 at least.  He wasn't by a large margin.

You are wrong. He was not only #7 in the NFL, he was absolutely lights out in the postseason - the games that matter most.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/stephon-gilmore/7016

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Fine, top 7.  Still not close.

If you're not factoring in post season performance, you're not analyzing well.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Name 10 corners you'd rather have right now at that price point and length of contract.

Ramsey, Bouye, Peterson, Rhodes, Slay, Talib, Hayward, White, Lattimore, and Gaines, just off the top of my head.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You are wrong. He was not only #7 in the NFL, he was absolutely lights out in the postseason - the games that matter most.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/stephon-gilmore/7016

If you're not factoring in post season performance, you're not analyzing well.

He's a good CB.  But they overpaid him. 

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ramsey, Bouye, Peterson, Rhodes, Slay, Talib, Hayward, White, Lattimore, and Gaines, just off the top of my head.

They only overpaid him if the payment creates cap issues. As far as I can tell, the Patriots have zero cap issues.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

They only overpaid him if the payment creates cap issues. As far as I can tell, the Patriots have zero cap issues.

That's a different discussion.  You can overpay someone even if he doesn't create cap issues for you.

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

8 good games Gaines? He hasn't been healthy in his whole career and you'd give him that deal?

Talib is on the tail end of his career. A 6 year deal would be far too much.

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Everyone hated Gilmore until he finally made a play.  Mike G is pretty much a nobody on their team and Hogan was decent for them.  Have fun if you want to leave.  You don't have TB on defense to do the work of getting flags ever other play so I'm sure it will be fun.

Ive liked gilmore since day 1, and i knew it would take him time to learn the scheme and get on the right page. He will be very good next year. He was the only bright spot on the defense in SB allowed a sub 20 passer rating ehen targeted that night.

Hes one of thr few guys on that defense that would even start elsewhere that played that night

Trey Flowers, mccourty, him.

This is the 2nd time in this decade the patriots played in the sb with a majority of defenseive players that wouldnt start anywhere else

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

Talib ahahahahahahaha talib was absoulte garbage in 2017. He allowed qbs to a 100+ passer rating when targeted. 

Just now, Cmdjr85 said:

Ive liked gilmore since day 1, and i knew it would take him time to learn the scheme and get on the right page. He will be very good next year. He was the only bright spot on the defense in SB allowed a sub 20 passer rating ehen targeted that night.

Hes one of thr few guys on that defense that would even start elsewhere that played that night

Trey Flowers, mccourty, him.

This is the 2nd time in this decade the patriots played in the sb with a majority of defenseive players that wouldnt start anywhere else

Sorry.  I meant everyone hated Gilmore in NE until he broke up that pass against the Jags. 

He was a good pass defender here and finally came around at the end of the season for NE but his biggest criticism was he didn't try to tackle anyone in the open field.  If he was on them, he would tackle them but he never tried to chase anyone down or would give up chasing.

18 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The NFL’s reigning tackles leader has watched former Bills teammates stampede out of Buffalo and turn into stars with the Patriots.

Seriously? There biggest star to date has been Hogan and it's a stretch to call him a "star".

Mike G - disgruntled, benched and probably cut.

Scott Chandler- Really?

Gilmore - Toasted early and often but ended decent. Far from "star status" and not worth the contract.

What ? player am I missing?

The guy they picked off their PS and everyone went crazy over because he made a few plays in his first game?

32 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

8 good games Gaines? He hasn't been healthy in his whole career and you'd give him that deal?

Talib is on the tail end of his career. A 6 year deal would be far too much.

Heavens no, I wouldn't give Gaines $13M/year.  I'm talking about 10 (at least) CB's I'd put above him.

7 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Let him go,  not worth trying to overpay this guy with average skills. Would not pay him more then 4 years 15 mill total with 8 mill guaranteed

i'm not advocating overpaying him for what he is worth, i am just saying that he is a good, smart, durable player that has value on this team. if he can get a paycheck elsewhere, good for him. and if we can find an upgrade at the position, then good for us.