Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

These agents tend to over think things. Unless there is a medical issue (and that’s gonna be checked, anyway) there is nothing to lose by throwing and nothing to gain by not throwing. It’s still early in the evaluation process in terms of assigning grades so it makes little sense not to participate. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Mayfield will throw. 

Latest NFL mock has the Bills trading up to 5 with the Broncos and taking Mayfield. I wouldn't hate it. 

Is this normal for the top few QBs to avoid throwing at the combine? Nothing to gain. They will throw to their own receivers with a rehearsed routine and play it safe.

Just now, Commonsense said:

Latest NFL mock has the Bills trading up to 5 with the Broncos and taking Mayfield. I wouldn't hate it. 

Is this normal for the top few QBs to avoid throwing at the combine? Nothing to gain. They will throw to their own receivers with a rehearsed routine and play it safe.

I don’t think Luck threw 

Mayfield played in the senior bowl so I think he will continue looking to improve his draft stock. Same with Allen. They both have a lot to gain. 

My guess is that it's simply a matter of wanting to control the environment. A pro-day is all determined by him and his experts and they can do it how they want it. Not throwing probably wouldn't hurt his stock, and since he's already widely regarded as #1, it's unlikely he can improve it by throwing at the combine. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I have a feeling that after the combine, pro days, etc. the Bills are going to decide none of these guys is worth moving up for.

i'm sure Eagles and Rams are feeling dumb for moving up for Wentz and Goff.  They should have stayed where they were and just picked whoever was available

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

i'm sure Eagles and Rams are feeling dumb for moving up for Wentz and Goff.  They should have stayed where they were and just picked whoever was available

But to be fair, in that Draft, there was Wentz and Goff and basically no one else....in this Draft you could easily have 6 QBs that go on to have very good careers. I'm biased....I've been advocate for the Bills staying put at 21 and taking their guy and then hopefully trading back from 22 to acquire more Draft picks....but, the QB issue remains the same. You don't trade UP in a year where there is a tremendous breadth of talent. To me, the cost to go up to #2 or #3, is so large, that the measurable difference between that QB and the one most likely available at 21, is not enough to lose the talent you forfeit by going that distance to get a QB. 

Rudolph is my first pick at 21, but if he's not there, I've watched more and more of Jackson, and I've now come full circle to thinking he's going to be a good to great NFL QB. I would be perfectly comfortable with him at 21 - and that's assuming he lasts that long...not many former Heisman winners do....