Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

In which way? I seem to remember Vontae being a bit of a cancer in Miami wasn't he?

Was he? I honestly don't really remember him that well from his time there, he was just another guy to me. Paid more attention to him the last few years when Indy would play primetime and thought he was well respected. But I could be misremembering or something. My thought was, I like the idea of an older veteran CB with Tre, rather than Tre & a rookie CB, or an overpaid Gaines.

Either way I think the only concern with Vontae is the same as EJ, the injuries.  

Edit: Also, Incognito was a cancer in Miami who ended up being a good leader here (it seems). A totally different situation, just thought of the Dolphins connection.

Edited by LA Grant

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It is a deep CB draft. I expect Donte Jackson to be highly overdrafted if he shows well this week, but if he's there in the later rounds I like his speed and the LSU connection with Tre'. Not sure how he fits McD's system though. I have never been one to understand the defensive backfield enough to comment on that. 

He is not a good zone CB.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd do 4/$26 with major playing time and production incentives. 

If we front load the contract then I think we can boost it up a little bit more, I'd be fine going a little over that 26 mil

PS. I don't like the number 26

17 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

White 

Davis

Poyer

Hyde

Thats as good a secondary as there is in the NFL right now IMO.

No question about it. 

No Fly Zone is in effect!!!

Just imagine how much better they can be with an upgraded front 7 too!! 

Davis is a pure ,born to play football player, perfect fit for this roster.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I don't know, honestly. I have been thinking it over. We saw the worth of a defense that can create turnovers when he was in the lineup. We saw what happens to our defense when he plays. I have a feeling that he was as much the answer as any other individual on the team. For that I'm willing to spend a little bit and I think we could save a little bit by extending him I'm more than just a three-year deal because I don't think a team is really going to want to throw that much money at him right now. 

I'd do 4 yrs for $32mm with a fancy up front bonus to put him over $10mm the first two years.  And incentives all over.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd do 4/$26 with major playing time and production incentives. 

i'm with Doc on this one.

sporttrac has him projected at 4 years ~$38 mil

overthecap has him projected at 4 years ~$25 mil

i think 4/$25-28 is fair for him, given his injury history

the issue with playing time/production incentives is that he will be the #3 corner on the roster behind white and davis

that's just a fact (at least going into the situation)

that means you're paying a #3 corner top 15 money, trying to calculate incentive triggers for somebody who isn't even a starter

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
Vontae Davis has found a new home. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday the former Indianapolis Colts cornerback is signing a one-year deal with the Buffalo Bills.

i'm a little bummed it's only 1 year :(

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

He is not a good zone CB.

Thanks for the insight! 

Any knowledge of Jaire Alexander? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about him but have heard some good things about his skill set and see where he might drop to the mid 3rd? (Though I have also seen him in round 1 in some places) 

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

i'm with Doc on this one.

sporttrac has him projected at 4 years ~$38 mil

overthecap has him projected at 4 years ~$25 mil

i think 4/$25-28 is fair for him, given his injury history

the issue with playing time/production incentives is that he will be the #3 corner on the roster behind white and davis

that's just a fact (at least going into the situation)

that means you're paying a #3 corner top 15 money, trying to calculate incentive triggers for somebody who isn't even a starter

i'm a little bummed it's only 1 year :(

1 year prove it deal with a more cap space in '19 to ink him to a longer deal.  I think that works for both sides. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

i'm a little bummed it's a 1 year "prove it" deal

what if he does "prove it"

do we pony up top $$ for a 31 year old CB?

i would have preferred a 2-3 year deal with heavy incentives

i also don't think we can keep gaines now, he's looking to be 4/$25-37 mil projected

davis is not going to enter this deal expecting to be a #3 corner, which means we'd be paying gaines top 15 CB $$ to be our #3