Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

Just now, greenwithenvy said:

You got me with the bolded.  Fair enough.  I still don't think most fans would argue Kupp>Watkins.  He was drafted with the expectation of being on the elite level ala OBJ/Brown and I think that colors expectations a bit as well.  If he was drafted 28th people wouldn't be as hard on him.

So how about that Vontae Davis signing...

Agreed dude.

He isn't amazing but he's a damn good wr when healthy

Anyway I'm stoked about Davis!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Ian Rapoport ‏ Verified account @RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago More The #Bills signed former #Colts CB Vontae Davis to a 1-year worth $5M base, source said, with $3.5M of that guaranteed. The max he can earn is $8M.

Leavs Buffalo with ~$28.8M in cap space at the moment. Figure $8M of that will go to draft picks, so you've got ~$20M to spend on re-signings and UFAs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/27/report-bills-guarantee-vontae-davis-3-5-million-can-make-up-to-8-million/

Report: Bills guarantee Vontae Davis $3.5 million, can make up to $8 million

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 27, 2018, 2:40 PM EST
Getty Images

The Bills acted fast in signing free agent Vontae Davis before free agency, and they’ve guaranteed him $3.5 million.

That’s the word from Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, who reports that Davis’s guarantee is $3.5 million, his base salary is $5 million, and the maximum he can make on his one-year deal is $8 million.

That sounds like a reasonably good deal for the Bills, who wanted to identify another starting cornerback along with Tre'Davious White, last year’s first-round pick who had a good rookie year. Davis has had his ups and downs, but when he’s up he can be that good starting cornerback.

Other teams were interested in Davis, but the Bills wanted to move now rather than wait on the start of free agency next month. Davis was cut by the Colts in November, which made him a free agent now and able to sign before the start of the new league year.

Edited by Limeaid
better link

6 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I hope not

Not only do we have 2 very good starting corners but they have been good at finding those fringe guys so that cap can go towards other needs.......

If we trade away the farm to get into the blue chip QBs we not even have that 2nd round pick

If we stand pat and take a guy like Lamar Jackson.....we also have definate needs at RT, LB, pass rush

Personally.....I am wondering if it might be smart to trade down from 21 to later in the 1st round in hopes Lamar Jackson is still there....and aquire a additional 2nd rounder

Who would be the bridge QB if they did your scenario?

I actually think if they can let Jackson sit for 2-3 years he could be an excellent QB.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A bit I can understand, but 2-3 years?  We'll see what his measurements are in a few days. 

It worked for Aaron Rodgers.

Anyways, i know each example is different, but if the Bills find themselves a good QB in FA that can actually STAY HEALTHY, they wouldn't need to rush Jackson.

i love Jackson's all around talents. I just don't want to throw him to NFL D's right away.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Anyways, i know each example is different, but if the Bills find themselves a good QB in FA that can actually STAY HEALTHY, they wouldn't need to rush Jackson.

i love Jackson's all around talents. I just don't want to throw him to NFL D's right away.

He might get a year Buff....but that is about it

The Aaron Rogers situation was totally unique.....he had a future HOF player playing in front of him

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

He might get a year Buff....but that is about it

The Aaron Rogers situation was totally unique.....he had a future HOF player playing in front of him

Right, it would be more like the brees-Rivers situation, wherein the incumbent QB expected to be starting for no more than a season, with the intention of the rookie taking over the following year 

(I mean not the same in terms of the Brees injury situation, just the projected timeframe)

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

Aaron Rodgers was behind an upcoming retiring future Hof who held on longer than GB expected

Edited by SouthNYfan

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This quote makes me wonder if bringing in another CB who could start on the outside isn't an option McB is seriously considering.  The thought of Davis on Edelman in the slot is intriguing.....bringing in another boundary corner (Gaines) if it fits within our cap dimensions, or drafting a good one is dirty. We switched to an awful lot of nickel last year.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, horned dogs said:

This quote makes me wonder if bringing in another CB who could start on the outside isn't an option McB is seriously considering.  The thought of Davis on Edelman in the slot is intriguing.....bringing in another boundary corner (Gaines) if it fits within our cap dimensions, or drafting a good one is dirty. We switched to an awful lot of nickel last year.

And when Leonard Johnson was healthy they usually played well; he played nickel CB a lot including Atlanta game when he covered Julio Jones out physically him when Jones usually dominates smaller corner directly resulting in him not playing 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are looking to capitalize with the signing of CB Vontae Davis
Vontae Davis has been in the league for nine years, having played for two teams, and was a star corner for both. For the last six years he has been the Colts’ version of a lockdown corner and arguably one of the top corners in the NFL.

He has been known as a man cover corner, a guy that could shadow and mirror the opponent’s best wide receiver week in and week out. But he doesn’t just cover them, he also makes plays. Over the course of his career, he has registered 22 interceptions and 72 pass deflections. So, when Davis tore his groin in the third preseason game in his contract year, the writing appeared to be on the wall.

After his 5th and final game of the season, which occurred in week 8, the Colts decided to demote him. Head coach Chuck Pagano stated that the demotion was not injury-based, but Davis had a different take.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Vontae was on WGR today and he said his wife is taking the Florida bar exam soon and will be an atty. Thought that was pretty cool. 

He also said Scott McDermott" once and then referred to him as 'McDermott". I really hope it was just a mistake and not that he did not remmber the name of his new head coach.

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost