Mike Mayock: There is no Carson Wentz in this QB class; wouldn’t put one in his top 5

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Haha, so true.Most of these talking heads have no clue. Let's hope this new Bills GM with new scouts knows their QB's.

Thanks. :D

Trust me, at first glance I was thinking "no way do I want the Bills to draft this kid" with his accuracy issues. Then after digging deeper and looking at his 2017 season and listening to his coach I've come around. I looked at the poor team he was on with a bad line and receivers that couldn't catch a cold. He would throw a rope right to them in the end zone and they would drop it. 

Don't get me wrong as he made a lot of bad plays too. I think that can be corrected with some proper coaching. He still might end up as a bust if he goes to Cleveland who will pound him into dust.

In Buffalo, I think he could be another Kelly as he is a bit of a gunslinger and a big tough guy with a cannon for an arm. The Bills need a QB with an arm like his to cut through the swirling winds at new era stadium. He played at Wyoming so snow won't be an issue as it is with those California boys. 

Remind me, when is the last time that a Bills QB has had to "cut through swirling winds" at New Era Field?  Does Buffalo have 30-40 mph wind gusts at every single home game during the season or something?

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Remind me, when is the last time that a Bills QB has had to "cut through swirling winds" at New Era Field?  Does Buffalo have 30-40 mph wind gusts at every single home game during the season or something?

They drafted Nathan Peterman last year so that tells you all you need to know about that question in the mind of McD. Beane is quoted as saying arm strength is important and it can’t be taught, but accuracy is the most important thing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

WHY do you people think that ANY team would be willing to accept Tyrod Taylor in a trade scenario!!?!??!!?!?!?!???!?!???!?!??!!?!!?!?!?!??!?!!?

Yikes. So salty.

anyway, the options for trade are limited. But he is an experienced starting QB on a moderate contract. A team like Cleveland, with more draft picks than they need given the youth and inexperience already on their team, more cap space than they can spend given the general unattractiveneas of the team in FA, and a giant need for a QB with any kind of experience on the roster could yield a pick. His contract is up in a year which is ideal as a bridge guy. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

It is an issue that opposing QB's used to talk about it a lot and it also made trouble for kickers. It isn't always that way but on certain days you had better have a cannon for an arm or that ball is going sailing.  I'm speaking from experience too because I had season tickets for a number of years and now my son has had some for the past 10 years.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mike Mayock?

The same idiot that thought Gabbert  would be better then Cam Newton?

The same idiot that said liked Weeden over Cousins?

The same idiot that picked RG3 over Cousins?

The same idiot that LOVED Josh Freeman?

Come on guys lets not care for one second what this guy has to say.. Please

Why in the world , other than money would Cousins consider the Browns? The owner is a mess, OT Joe Thomas is excellent but at the end of his career, his best WR is a joint away from never playing again. I guess money talks but he can make money in a better situation. His best bet is playing in Denver with 2 very good WR, Not the best OL but they have some good pieces in place, they'll need a RB, TE to keep things honest.

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It is an issue that opposing QB's used to talk about it a lot and it also made trouble for kickers. It isn't always that way but on certain days you had better have a cannon for an arm or that ball is going sailing.  I'm speaking from experience too because I had season tickets for a number of years and now my son has had some for the past 10 years.

Fine.  I hope the Bills take Josh Allen at 21 or 22.  But, you better hope and pray that you're getting the Josh Allen who dominates against Texas State and Gardiner Webb, as opposed to the Josh Allen who looks like an undrafted free agent against Oregon and Iowa.

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Lamar Jackson is growing on me as a guy to take if we have to end up staying where we are at. The biggest thing I think is I believe Daboll would tailor an offense to him

Keep Lamar in the pocket, play zone defense and he will be lost.

No, thank you.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Prototypical size, very good arm strength, excellent athlete who makes plays with his legs, intelligent, reads defenses, throws with timing and anticipation, can make plays outside of structure. 

Wentz significantly improved his play, too, from his rookie season to his sophomore.  Taking a big step forward in his second year as a starter is usually a sign that a young QB is the real deal as demonstrated by guys like Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russel Wilson among others.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Exactly.  Go back and watch him the bowl game against Mississippi State and ask yourself if you want the Bills spending even a low 1st round pick on Jackson.

Jackson does scare me with his hitting a big throw after a few bad throws. Reminds me of Geno Smith!

Why on earth would the Bills want a lesser, more turnover version of Tyrod Taylor?

42 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Mike Mayock?

The same idiot that thought Gabbert  would be better then Cam Newton?

The same idiot that said liked Weeden over Cousins?

The same idiot that picked RG3 over Cousins?

The same idiot that LOVED Josh Freeman?

Come on guys lets not care for one second what this guy has to say.. Please

I’m pretty sure everyone had RG3 over Cousins. 

Did you really find what he’s saying to be that outlandish to believe he’s an idiot for saying it? It wouldnt be too hard for me to find 4 players in the draft who are better prospects at their position than the best QB. And given what Carson Wentz is, I don’t see any of them being that exact QB either from what we know today. They each possess some very good skills/qualities though.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I was hoping for Mahomes last year (Watson may have been a decent pick , as well--lol). However, everyone was talking about how great this year would be for QB's. So now here we sit, with a bunch of guys that don't seem as good as the previous two years.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

If the standard of excellence is nothing less than perfect I'd like to know who you're following. And it's fake to declare them being more wrong than right, unless you're citing their mock drafts which everyone is less than perfect at.

Kiper is Kiper, but he's been in the draft business now 40 years and Mayock's widely known as one of the best. I prefer the latter but a case can be made for numerous types who have their share of misses.

Kiper is a blowhard- and yes, he is wrong a whole lot more than right in regards to his mocks. No, I dont expect perfection, my point is all these mocks are shotty, and will be a little less shotty after FA.