Put the Franchise Tag on Tyrod Taylor - Beane's Poker Face

54 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Pretty sure Watkins cost 5 first rounders.

5 picks...3 first rounders and 2 other picks.  But you have the right idea. We mortgaged our future. Now’s the time to recoup what we lost. Albeit it’s an indirect path, but it’s a guaranteed two first round picks when someone matches our sheet for TT. 

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Have a look at how he has been gradually restructuring the roster so as to eliminate or at least moderate the damage caused by a lot of bad Whaley Ks.

Pay attention.

That was an easy response to really not support your point.

Support your point. I'm paying attention, perhaps I disagree with it. And I can assure you, you're no football guru, so any disagreement is reasonable.

The GM hasn't even had a draft yet, and you're talking like he did a bunch of things for this franchise.

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Leftover Bourbon Street Chicken from Applebees.

You hanging out with beast mode??

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

@JasonLaCanfora

Bills to Franchise Tyrod Taylor under a little known clause in the CBA. NFLPA set to file a grievance.

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thank you!!! Vindication!!!

Seeing as there isn't a real link, I think it's a LaCONfora joke

20 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The real question here is - should Tyrod go up on the wall?

of the bathroom stall?   I'm sure he has 

I kid I kid 

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

You hanging out with beast mode??

Seeing as there isn't a real link, I think it's a LaCONfora joke

a troll job by copy paste

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

If we wait til next year to tag him we won't get the 2 first round picks until then. We want them now.

29 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Im glad someone else gets it

Sees what?

You can't franchise a guy who is under contract...

You also can't cut a guy to franchise him

Plus he's due $18 mil this year if we don't cut him, vs $25+ on a franchise tag...

Even if you hypothetically could do this...

Why would any team pick him up for $25mil and lose 2 picks?

Why wouldn't said team just offer a trade for him now, while he is only making $18 mil?

Y'all don't understand the franchise tag.

33 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

If we wait til next year to tag him we won't get the 2 first round picks until then. We want them now.

Some guys here seem to think a “potential” free agent is only this year. Tyrod is a “potential free agent” if we don’t pick up option. You see my point. Tag him now and watch the offers come in. I think we can all agree two 1st round picks could be used by our team. That would give us four in the first round and pays us back for the Sammy fiasco. 

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Sees what?

Plus he's due $18 mil this year if we don't cut him, vs $25+ on a franchise tag...

Why wouldn't said team just offer a trade for him now, while he is only making $18 mil?

All wrong IMO

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Some guys here seem to think a “potential” free agent is only this year. Tyrod is a “potential free agent” if we don’t pick up option. You see my point. Tag him now and watch the offers come in. I think we can all agree two 1st round picks could be used by our team. That would give us four in the first round and pays us back for the Sammy fiasco. 

People seem to be afraid to try and push the envelope on the ideas, they arent thinking outside the box. Belicheck does this all the time

18 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

5 picks...3 first rounders and 2 other picks.  But you have the right idea. We mortgaged our future. Now’s the time to recoup what we lost. Albeit it’s an indirect path, but it’s a guaranteed two first round picks when someone matches our sheet for TT. 

How did Watkins cost 5 the future??

We swapped up from #9 to #4 and threw in the following year's first and useless 4th rounders.

It's obvious they wanted a WR so if the picks went the same order, assuming sammy went #4, then Mike Evans and obj and Brandon cooks were available... Any of them wouldn't have been franchise altering for us.

Nothing was made of the 3 picks we traded, as the 2015 draft was kind of trash from where we would have picked and pleased onward.

We then traded Sammy to the Rams for EJ Gaines and a 2nd rounder this year.

So all in all as of today we are left with:

EJ Gaines and a 2018 second round pick #56

To get that we gave up: Sammy Watkins, 2015 #19 and #115

How is that a loss of 5 picks?

13 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

All wrong IMO

It's not "imo"

Show me how you can franchise tag a guy who isn't going to be a free agent?

Even if you could, it is either an average of the top5 or top10 salaries at the position, depending on the type of franchise tag you use.

That would be around $22,000 for Tyrod plus the picks, vs 18 and picks with a normal trade

You're completely off the mark on this

46 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Sees what?

So basically you'd rather let him walk and get nothing than tag him and get 2 first round picks.

40 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

HE'S NOT A FU*CKING FREE AGENT 

He’s a POTENTIAL free agent. Read my quote above that explains who can be tagged. “Potential Free Agents” can be tagged. How about stop arguing and just do the research? This is pretty easy stuff. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

NFL trade tsunami? This offseason could be defined by deals

0ap3000000916979.jpg&f=jpg&w=768&c=80

_Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor
  • Published: Feb. 21, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 21, 2018 at 01:08 p.m.

13 players who could be traded

Tyrod Taylor, QB, Buffalo Bills: This is another example of how cap space could facilitate a trade. The Bills have enough room under their cap to hold on to Taylor's $18 million cap figure into March, survey the market, and see if another team will give up a draft pick or veteran player in exchange for him. If not, the Bills could wind up just releasing him.

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

He’s a POTENTIAL free agent. Read my quote above that explains who can be tagged. “Potential Free Agents” can be tagged. How about stop arguing and just do the research? This is pretty easy stuff. 

It is really easy stuff that you aren't grasping.

He's not a "potential free agent".

He is under contract through 2018.

He is due $18mil if he is on the roster on the 8th day of the new season.

we can CUT HIM to save about $8mil from the cap (leaving 10 in dead cap) prior to that date.

So no, he's not a "potential free agent" who we are going to cut then re-franchise for $22-25mil for one year when we already have him for $18 of nobody wants him.

Nobody is going to tender TWO first round picks for him AND $4-6 million more than what he was already scheduled to make.

If they think they can get anything for him, you just keep him for $18mil and trade him for whatever they will offer, which ISN'T GOING TO BE TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS.

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

we can CUT HIM to save about $8mil from the cap (leaving 10 in dead cap) prior to that date.

So no, he's not a "potential free agent" who we are going to cut then re-franchise for $22-25mil for one year when we already have him for $18 of nobody wants him.

Nobody is going to tender TWO first round picks for him AND $4-6 million more than what he was already scheduled to make.

If they think they can get anything for him, you just keep him for $18mil and trade him for whatever they will offer, which ISN'T GOING TO BE TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS.

You are looking at the word potential in too strict of terms, if you look at it in broader terms, i think you will see what we see

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Solid post man,

They would have to be real lucky to get a 5th round pick and sadly I dont think they will even get that. His market last season was zero with other teams and 2017 he stunk so IMO he isnt worth Bradys deflated balls anymore. Release him and move on. 

6 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

You are looking at the word potential in too strict of terms, if you look at it in broader terms, i think you will see what we see

He is under contract with the Bills in 2018 the only way he is a potential free agent is if he is released. Nobody wants to pay 18 mill let alone a franchise tag price of 25 mill. You only tag if not under contract, Taylor is under contract if Bills want to keep him under contract, see the difference?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Solid post man,

They would have to be real lucky to get a 5th round pick and sadly I dont think they will even get that. His market last season was zero with other teams and 2017 he stunk so IMO he isnt worth Bradys deflated balls anymore. Release him and move on. 

He is under contract with the Bills in 2018 the only way he is a potential free agent is if he is released. Nobody wants to pay 18 mill let alone a franchise tag price of 25 mill. You only tag if not under contract, Taylor is under contract if Bills want to keep him under contract, see the difference?

Bray is trying to explain this to you guys and you aren't listening.

Let's say I have a car that I want to keep but I may sell it for the right price. Let's say you really like my car. You are a "potential bidder" on my car even though I haven't decided to sell it yet.  If I decide to sell the car, then the car is potentially for sale today but not quite yet.

Apply that to Tyrod. Yes he is currently on the team...but there is "potential" that he will become a free agent at some point in the close or distant future. The franchise tag applies to potential free agents. Air go, we can tag him.

Geez, can anyone explain this to these guys?

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Let's say I have a car that I want to keep but I may sell it for the right price. Let's say you really like my car. You are a "potential bidder" on my car even though I haven't decided to sell it yet.  If I decide to sell the car, then the car is potentially for sale today but not quite yet.

Apply that to Tyrod. Yes he is currently on the team...but there is "potential" that he will become a free agent at some point in the close or distant future. The franchise tag applies to potential free agents. Air go, we can tag him.

Hey man step away from the big picture and reduce it to a smaller one.

Tyrod is under contract for 2018 for 18 mill so there is zero reason for the Bills to franchise him so they would get stuck paying 25 mill. Teams franchise a player that is not under contract.  

Let's take your car scenario, to franchise him would be like going to sell your car and you want to sell it for more then 18 mill so you go to the bank and give them 7 million more and then tell everyone see my car is now worth 25 mill. Would be great if you find a buyer but the problem is nobody wanted your car at 18 mill so at 25 you just gave 7 mill away for no reason.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, xRUSHx said:

Hey man step away from the big picture and reduce it to a smaller one.

Tyrod is under contract for 2018 for 18 mill so there is zero reason for the Bills to franchise him so they would get stuck paying 25 mill. Teams franchise a player that is not under contract.  

Let's take your car scenario, to franchise him would be like going to sell your car and you want to sell it for more then 18 mill so you go to the bank and give them 8 or 9 million more and then tell everyone see my car is now worth 25 mill. Would be great if you find a buyer but the problem is nobody wanted your car at 18 mill so at 25 you just gave 7 mill away for no reason.

Why wouldnt you look at the big picture when considering moves for the franchise??

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Why wouldnt you look at the big picture when considering moves for the franchise??

You only franchise a player that is NOT under contract, Tyrod is under contract, why is it so hard to understand?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

You have no idea what you are talking about

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

You only franchise a player that is NOT under contract, Tyrod is under contract, why is it so hard to understand?

It's like talking to walls dude.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2018 at 2:17 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If any GM gave up two 1st rd picks for Taylor that would be grounds for instant straitjacket and funny farm admission. If Taylor cannot be traded for a 6th rd pick how many teams are going to pay him even close to 10 mil a year. 

....sure as hell would be a pretty light sentence.....to borrow ONE word from the late great John McKay,...."execution"....................

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Your scenario makes no sense.

HE IS UNDER FREAKING CONTRACT FOR $18,000 FOR ONE YEAR.

The only way he is a potential free agent is if we cut him.

We aren't going to cut him then RE-SIGN HIM FOR 23 MILLION ON THE FRANCHISE TAG BECAUSE WE WOULD STILL INCUR THE $10MIL DEAD CAP FROM CUTTING HIM.

If we plan to trade him, we will roll the dice, keep him for $18mil then trade him for whatever bag of donuts and chewed gum somebody offers.

ERGO Nobody is going to give TWO first round picks for a guy we just "franchised" for one year and $22-25 million WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN CHOMPING AT THE BIT FOR $18MIL AND A PACK OF CIGARETTES IN TRADE.

Christ.

Can we have an iq test for members?

Edited by SouthNYfan

On 2/20/2018 at 11:18 AM, BringBackFergy said:

We all need to think outside the box when it comes to building this team. That means taking an unconventional approach to obvious team decisions and strategy when it comes to dealing with other teams...especially QB needy teams like Denver, Cleveland, Jets and Cardinals (not to mention Pittsburgh, Jax, New Orleans and even New England).

If Beane was to put the franchise tag on Tyrod this year, we would have suitors that would want to interview him. Not saying they will sign him without question, but with a limited pool of experienced QB's available, and Tyrod being a game manager type, chances are 75% that another team would sign Tyrod and we would reap the rewards.

What rewards you might ask?

A nonexclusive franchise tag involves the same salary offer as an exclusive franchise tag, only the player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation. This is the more commonly used franchise tag.

Box? It's more of a circle, round and round we go....

• Haha (+1) 1