Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

There are people who would find the area attractive, its not Siberia.

As for the snow game, I don't doubt there were players that would have loved to have played in that one game, doubt anyone of them would sign here just because of it. 

As for "cash is king" from another reply, again, it all still has to fit in the Cap. And if that's true, then why aren't the big FAs signing here instead of going somewhere else? Usually the first response to hearing a name guy coming  for a visit is that they are just using it to boost other offers

No, it's not likely anyone would sign here for that one game, but it goes to show guys aren't as adverse to playing in snow and cold as some say. Again, it's up to each person individually.

I never said anything about cash being king, but to reply...cash is certainly a deciding factor. There are many way to sweeten deals without it hurting the cap. There are certain bonuses that are easily attainable, there are ways to split the payments up that help it all fall well under a cap.

By and large my opinion for why big name free agents have been signing here are twofold. One, we weren't winning. No one wanted to ride the Titanic after it struck the iceberg. 

Second, our coaching staffs of the past. Since Wade Phillips, we really have not had a coach that players would look at and think "Yea, playing for him is good for my career". I think that outlook is changing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

As for "cash is king" from another reply, again, it all still has to fit in the Cap. And if that's true, then why aren't the big FAs signing here instead of going somewhere else? Usually the first response to hearing a name guy coming  for a visit is that they are just using it to boost other offers

Cap # can be manipulated. A 5 year $100 million deal can be structured many ways. They aren't all equal. 

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's usually from the agent to get attention for the player

Yeah. And if Adam Schefter reported it 1st you know this is just that. 

20 hours ago, Acantha said:

Hope not.  CB depth is horrible; they need more talent at the position.  Gaines may end up being too much to keep, but getting Davis shouldn't rule out their attempt to re-sign Gaines.

be great to have both for sure.  I see either Davis or Gaines, with Johnson and Wright and a rookie as backups.  

58 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

No, it's not likely anyone would sign here for that one game, but it goes to show guys aren't as adverse to playing in snow and cold as some say. Again, it's up to each person individually.

I never said anything about cash being king, but to reply...cash is certainly a deciding factor. There are many way to sweeten deals without it hurting the cap. There are certain bonuses that are easily attainable, there are ways to split the payments up that help it all fall well under a cap.

By and large my opinion for why big name free agents have been signing here are twofold. One, we weren't winning. No one wanted to ride the Titanic after it struck the iceberg. 

Second, our coaching staffs of the past. Since Wade Phillips, we really have not had a coach that players would look at and think "Yea, playing for him is good for my career". I think that outlook is changing.

Amen.

I said this earlier too.

Nobody wants to board the Titanic after it hit the iceberg? That made me laugh, good analogy!!

Seriously though.

A team that is caught between a "perennial lost cause" and "mediocre at best" for 2 decades, combined with the location of the team (as you said, it's a plus for some, but I would say the majority not so much) combine to make Buffalo a "not friendly" destination for free agents.

It's hard to convince somebody this is the best place for them to win when we haven't won in most of these guys' lifetimes for the younger players.

It causes teams like the bills to have to overspend on a free agent to sign him over another team.

That leads to less cap space for other players, and winds up leaving more roster holes than expected.

It's a negative domino.

The past 12 months, with the new coach, and front office, and the ownership hopefully, could have us on the upswing!

Winning changes a lot of perception for the immediate future hopefully.

Winning year in and year out causes guys to want to play somewhere, to grow up wanting to play for that team.

It causes guys to take less than market value to sign with a team so that they have a better chance to win.

That leads to that team having more open cap space to sign other players as well.

It's a good domino effect.

That's a huge accomplishment.

Here's to the next couple of years looking better than they have in a long time.

Let's keep the upswing!

21 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

now that things are stable players will visit.  not every player , but that is the same for every team.  Some players don't want the pressure of playing in nyc, some don't want to play in the humid south or live in the north east cold.   The days of Buffalo being completely off the grid is over 

I think the snow game video, the locker room celebration,the airport turn out and 15,000 fans travelling to Jax should make Buffalo a very interesting place for some players.

When what used to be fun has the joy removed its to much like tedious work.

Some players would really like the environment here.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Typically a 2 day visit. Touring the facility is probably the final part.

But that was the old Bills way. So we'l  see. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There we are. He's come and gone with no announcement from the Bills. 

5 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Do we?  corner was actually a strength of the team last year.

Every team has this issue....your not gonna be pro bowlers and all pro's at every position......

That is why the bills tinker like crazy with the bottom part of their roster

Every team has a drop in talent as they go down the roster; the Bills had a cliff.  When Gaines went out (every friggin game), the defense immediately began to give up bigger chunks.  The difference was clear, and I don't even think Gaines is THAT good  It's just how bad everyone behind him was.  You can't get pro-bowlers everywhere, but you need to be able to continue to compete when one starter goes down.

Edited by Acantha