Best Dog Breeds for Kids?

KD in CA

I am one who loves his rescues dogs and has had only had mutts my entire life. 

I think there are two keys to having happy healthy dogs that get along with everyone

1) Consistent, positive training. If you have never trained a dog before, a ton of books out there. Read some reviews and pick one that you think will fit you and your family. Tough is getting the kids to buy in on the training.

2) Even more important in my mind, much more important than size, or breed in  terms of temperament and happiness is exercise. Dogs of all sizes need it, and that is not just throwing them outside in a fenced yard. Sounds like you have plenty of options for walks etc, and if you can stick a pretty well to a schedule of walks, ball retrieval etc, you will have a great dog almost guaranteed. 

The problem I got is in the naming of them.

7 year old lab/chow mix FITZY

2 year old pit/boxer        TAYLOR

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have a golden retriever who's going on 11 years old. We had him before I had both of my kids. My daughter is 7 and my son is almost 3. My son climbs all over him and is a general brute to him over all and not once has he even been anything but a gentle soul. He's the most docile dog I've ever met. He won't even go to the water bowl when the cat is drinking out of it. He just sits there and whines until the cat is done drinking. We'll probably get another one when his time is up. A golden may be s little large for your scenario,  but if definitely recommended giving them some consideration. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am one who loves his rescues dogs and has had only had mutts my entire life. 

I think there are two keys to having happy healthy dogs that get along with everyone

1) Consistent, positive training. If you have never trained a dog before, a ton of books out there. Read some reviews and pick one that you think will fit you and your family. Tough is getting the kids to buy in on the training.

2) Even more important in my mind, much more important than size, or breed in  terms of temperament and happiness is exercise. Dogs of all sizes need it, and that is not just throwing them outside in a fenced yard. Sounds like you have plenty of options for walks etc, and if you can stick a pretty well to a schedule of walks, ball retrieval etc, you will have a great dog almost guaranteed. 

The problem I got is in the naming of them.

7 year old lab/chow mix FITZY

2 year old pit/boxer        TAYLOR

Chows are a lot like peis. I like them too

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Chows are a lot like peis. I like them too

He has been the toughest dog to train I have ever had. Smart dog, always knew what I wanted him to do, he was just so stubborn as a puppy. 

But has always been great in terms of gentleness etc..and he is pushing 100lbs. Big ole gentle bear he is.

Any type of border collie.   

But they do need to be active.  Lots of running playing catch with balls or frisbees. 

Smart animal, very trainable.  But you have to know how to train a pet.   

Be the alpha not the subordinate (which is what most owners are with those yapping ankle biters).   

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I always vote for Labs. My favorite breed. But I think KA said he didn't want one so big or aggressive and didn't have a yard to run. Labs would still be great but didn't fit the criterion.

I'd vote for either a Lab or a Lab mix from the shelter.  Not all Labs are large, and some strains are smaller/lighter bodied than others (I think they might be referred to "English Labs").  Female labs also tend to be smaller than males.  I don't think Labs are aggressive at all, and after puppyhood, most are pretty laid back.  Their biggest fault tends to be their notable appetites.

A perfect family dog may be a Labradoodle mix.  A friend of mine has one, and she's a great little dog (3/4 minature/toy poodle) that doesn't shed, has a Lab temperament, and poodle athleticism.  

Most of the golden doodles I've seen are bred on the Golden/standard Poodle cross, and they're all large dogs, especially the males which seem to be bigger than either Goldens or Poodles.  I don't know if Golden/minature Poodle crosses are done, but they would be smaller dogs.

I would also recommend a miniature or a smallish standard Poodle.  I currently have a small standard Poodle (about 45 pounds), and he's a perfect dog, much more attuned to people than previous dogs I've had.  Miniature and standard Poodles don't shed, tend to be athletic but not overly energetic like Jack Russell Terriers, affectionate, and very people-oriented.

Lab mixes from the shelter are also good bets.  Most shelters operate with trial periods for adoptions so that dogs can be returned if the match isn't a good one.

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They are insane. Fun but absolutely crazy. Never be a quiet moment in the house with three kids. Other terriers are great. Airedale terriers are super smart.

I second this e v a l of Jack Russells and Airedales.  Airedales come in two types: most are about 24-28 inches at the shoulder but the large ones may be as tall or taller than Goldens.  You have to be sure you get the right type.

Another smallish dog that's athletic, energetic but not crazily so, good tempered, and people-centered are Australian shepherds.  Aussies are medium sized, forty pounds or so, and some strains are even smaller.   They're smart and focused but not nearly as much as Border Collies so they're trainable but they don't have the strong instinct to round up and/or order their world the way Borders do.  They generally make much better family pets than Borders because they don't get bored.

Edited by SoTier

On 2/10/2018 at 5:42 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Not a bad idea is a small cute dog who is also good for protection for the kids. Like a Shibu Inu.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e7f5acaed9bb105564421b4e198b5ad.jpeg

That breed sounds perfect if I was single and living alone!

On 2/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, Steptide said:

Beagle is a good choice if you don't want anything to big. Also, are you looking to get a shelter dog, or were you gonna buy from a breeder? 

Yes, I'm thinking shelter.  Just met a guy today who had a lab mix from a family run group here in N. CA called Compassion Without Borders, which was just featured during last weekend's Puppy Bowl.

My sister has a goodlendoodle and the kids love that, so that or similar is possible, but I could also see a lab mix of some type or a beagle.   Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely rescue if possible.  We recently got a husky mix from our local shelter and couldn't be happier.  Just do your research online if possible and then go visit the dogs that look like a fit for your household.  Previously I had a golden and a german shorthair pointer.  The GSP was the such a cool dog and they are great with kids, but they can have a lot of energy.

dog.jpg

7 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

The GSP was the such a cool dog and they are great with kids, but they can have a lot of energy.

My previous dog was a rescured GSP, and they're easily my favorite breed, but I'm too old to keep up with a young GSP.

:D:D:D

If you're looking for a purebred,  but would also like to rescue a dog,  there are two good routes to doing both at the same time:  breed rescues and reputable breeders who are looking to place dogs they bred that were originally sold as pets but were returned (many reputable breeders now require that people who buy their dogs sign an agreement to return them if they can't keep them for whatever reason).   My rescue Airedale didn't come with such a guarantee but when I contacted his breeder, he was very helpful in working with Bandit.  He was also angry that the person he sold the dog to didn't treat him decently and then sent him to the shelter.  My GSP came from a GSP rescue group that was active in eastern NY.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2018 at 8:54 PM, 145B4IDIE said:

my vote is Lab or Golden

this a million times over, especially when it comes to kids.  i've grown up with both, and have a lab now.  our daughter is 2 and a half, and not once have i ever worried about the dog getting aggressive, biting, or being territorial towards here.  the worst of it is our dog just gets jealous when i'm with her, and he'll try to wedge himself in between us when we sit.  the hair is atrocious.

as others have mentioned, beagles are great too.  it was my first dog as a child.  the only problem was that !@#$er was loud.  

• Haha (+1) 1

A word of warning to would-be Beagle owners: be sure you get a Beagle that's NOT from a breeder who specializes in hunting dogs.   Beagles bred to hunt are PITAs because that's all they want to do.   Those types of Beagles really can't be let off leash outside a fenced enclosure because they'll be off if they catch the right scent (usually rabbits but some will trail deer).

Edited by SoTier

On 2/11/2018 at 8:26 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I have a golden retriever who's going on 11 years old. We had him before I had both of my kids. My daughter is 7 and my son is almost 3. My son climbs all over him and is a general brute to him over all and not once has he even been anything but a gentle soul. He's the most docile dog I've ever met. He won't even go to the water bowl when the cat is drinking out of it. He just sits there and whines until the cat is done drinking. We'll probably get another one when his time is up. A golden may be s little large for your scenario,  but if definitely recommended giving them some consideration. 

that's a wonderfully long time with that breed

1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

Definitely rescue if possible.  We recently got a husky mix from our local shelter and couldn't be happier.  Just do your research online if possible and then go visit the dogs that look like a fit for your household.  Previously I had a golden and a german shorthair pointer.  The GSP was the such a cool dog and they are great with kids, but they can have a lot of energy.

dog.jpg

for sure a rescue, but it should be dominant beagle or lab in the mix.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, WhoTom said:

Labs and Goldens are the best. Nice temperament, intelligent, and not hyperactive. A friend calls Shadow "steadfast and true." She's right.

NOT hyperactive??

I had a lab years ago and that thing never stopped! 

I'm buying a home soon and want to get a puppy this spring, so I've been doing a lot of research on breeds.  I love Goldens, but the more I read the more I think they're just too hyper.  Warning after warning about how much exercise they need, and it's more than just the standard long walk every day.  Has me a bit spooked because I'm a big believer that if a dog isn't getting the exercise they need they're just not happy.

Anyone with Goldens disagree?

Also looking at pits.  Also energetic, but doesn't seem like quite the same extreme.  I've had a few friends with pits over the years and they have all been outstanding dogs.

BTW, I have a 4 year old and don't really like small dogs.  My last was a Mastiff that is now living with my ex wife.  Absolutely amazing dogs, but holy crap the drool....

Edited by Acantha

39 minutes ago, Acantha said:

NOT hyperactive??

I had a lab years ago and that thing never stopped! 

I'm buying a home soon and want to get a puppy this spring, so I've been doing a lot of research on breeds.  I love Goldens, but the more I read the more I think they're just too hyper.  Warning after warning about how much exercise they need, and it's more than just the standard long walk every day.  Has me a bit spooked because I'm a big believer that if a dog isn't getting the exercise they need they're just not happy.

Anyone with Goldens disagree?

Also looking at pits.  Also energetic, but doesn't seem like quite the same extreme.  I've had a few friends with pits over the years and they have all been outstanding dogs.

BTW, I have a 4 year old and don't really like small dogs.  My last was a Mastiff that is now living with my ex wife.  Absolutely amazing dogs, but holy crap the drool....

The retrievers (Golden and Lab) I've known were very playful as puppies, but relatively calm as adults. All the ones I know are rescues, so they're likely retriever mixes, not purebreds.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, Augie said:

I am on my sixth Golden Retriever, and I can’t imagine a better breed. ESPECIALLY with kids! You need to get one from a good breeder, no clown winging it. They are so popular a lot of people jump into the game who don’t know squat about.....anything. Great, gentle, sweet and intelligent dogs that will live to make you happy. 

The ONLY downside is the shedding. That’s an issue. 

My sister has a golden retriever.  It is a great dog, super friendly, I can't get past the shedding though.  My sister lives in a beautiful development, has a maid come in twice a week to clean the house & every time I go over there I leave covered in fur. 

I know this vote won't be a popular but I have always own Pomeranians.  They have a reputation as a snippy barky dog but the three I have owned have been great, & they are/were all great around my children.  They don't shed either. 

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I know this vote won't be a popular but I have always own Pomeranians.  They have a reputation as a snippy barky dog but the three I have owned have been great, & they are/were all great around my children.  They don't shed either. 

If you train them right you can avoid their crappy behavior.    Just because they are small doesn't mean a smack on the snout will hurt them