If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

If Cleveland doesnt take the USC QB #1 overall, Is it pretty much guaranteed McDermott & Beane try to move Heaven & Earth in order to get Darnold?

Could see a deal directly with the Giants... #21, #22, 2019 1st Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick & OT- Cordy Glenn for #2.

Or could we see two deals? Trade to say, #7 with Tampa (#21 & 2019 1st Round Pick), and then Trade #7 plus Glenn plus #22 for #2?

Regardless, I just think they have been rumored to really like Darnold. If Cleveland takes a different guy, I could see the Bills making the move for Darnold.

If Darnold is taken #1? I honestly see them staying put and taking Rudolph. 

3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and Glenn?

That is definitely "full ditka"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

3 first rounders, a 2nd rounder, and Glenn?

That is definitely "full ditka"

Its 3 1st’s and a 4th, not a 2nd. But to move up to #2 it will cost a lot, but if he’s their guy, and he’s there, I think they should go for it. 

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Darnold is and will be the apple of the Bills brass eye.  I think the murmurs you've heard recently of the Bills liking Rosen are smoke that is being put out intentionally.  Rosen's durability issues and his lack of pocket presence are concerns I don't see the Bills selling the farm to go get.  Darnold, OTOH, I think he's a future top tier QB in the NFL.  I think the sweet spot for the Bills to trade up is in the #2-#7 spots.  If, and I think it's a huge if, the Browns pass on Darnold I'd expect the Bills to being working the lines hard.  With all of the other teams that need a QB, and my view of Darnold as the best QB, I think it's going to be tough to leapfrog so many teams that might be also looking to trade up.  

In the end I think the Browns will select Darnold #1, which to me ends the possibility of the Bills making a huge move up in the draft.  As for Baker Mayfield.....not  a fan.  

• Like (+1) 1

I gotta disagree. I think both Mayfield and Rosen are worth trading into the top 3 for.

Mayfield may lack height but hes a proven gamer and QB that can go through multi progressions and sling the rock like wu tang from the pocket. Has been the most clutch of the 3, last QB that was clutch in the draft was Watson, he adapted nicely to the nfl.

Rosen is a typical pocket passing QB and is prob gonna have the highest floor of the 3. If it was madden, Rosen would be the highest overall after the draft but Mayfield or Darnold might have the 'superstar' progression traits.

Darnold has the highest celeing but also needs the most work of the 3. This doesnt mean hes bad, he jus has more to work on but everyone says theres more to develop. He can be mobile out the pocket and make big throws. Has to clean up the INTs, the NFLs windows are even smaller and unforgiving. 

Rosen best of the bunch.  Best high school QB in the country coming out.  Best pro style QB in the draft since Andrew Luck.  Too bad he acts so entitled.  I don't think he's a McBeane type of guy unfortunately but he will surely mature.  He's only 20 yrs old.  Who didn't think they knew it all at that age?  I still think I know it all B-)

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnold is the ONLY QB worthy of a trade up. Not Rosen, Mayfield or Allen. But a lot will change after the combine.  I'd still consider Rudolph and the best DT at 21/22.

I can see them doing that too... But it just smells like the painful 2004 Draft all over again.

The top 3 QB's go before we pick, then the Bills have their pick of the scraps & hope for a miracle. Instead of getting Eli Manning, Big Ben or Rivers, we got JP Losman (and coincidentally at #22 like we have this year) as our 1st rounder. 

This year, Darnold, Rosen & Mayfield will be gone, so we'll likely get to pick from Rudolph, Jackson & possibly Allen (yuck).... 

It makes far more sense to this football fan for the Bills to follow the Pitts model they used to build a team and then go after a QB (who turned out to be Big Ben to win an SB.  Look, we have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL and now having to find a stud center, it seems even more obvious to  use the 2- 1st rounders and 2 nd rounders to rebuild this TEAM rather than invest all resources to put a formula 1 engine in our VW bug team.

Trading up for the next Andrew Luck (or worse the next Ryan Leaf) would be a disaster for this team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Darnold is the ONLY QB worthy of a trade up. Not Rosen, Mayfield or Allen. But a lot will change after the combine.  I'd still consider Rudolph and the best DT at 21/22.

When you have pick 21 and 22 all these QB's are worthy of a trade up because they're not going to be there at your slot.  Offers would vary depending on where you project needing to be to get each one but they all have consideration for trading for.  I hope the Bills pick one they like and do every single thing they can to go get him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, KingRex said:

It makes far more sense to this football fan for the Bills to follow the Pitts model they used to build a team and then go after a QB (who turned out to be Big Ben to win an SB.  Look, we have one of the oldest rosters in the NFL and now having to find a stud center, it seems even more obvious to  use the 2- 1st rounders and 2 nd rounders to rebuild this TEAM rather than invest all resources to put a formula 1 engine in our VW bug team.

Trading up for the next Andrew Luck (or worse the next Ryan Leaf) would be a disaster for this team.

We would be blessed to get the next Andrew Luck.

He had an injury, he was a stud, and is nothing close to a bust unless the injury ruins his career.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honest question... why isn't Mayfield the best of this bunch?

Is it height? He's still 6'1"... his behavior? McDermott seems like a coach who can channel that visceral competitive moxy... so what is it?

Mayfield please. He excites me the most. Then Darnold.

Honest question?

You have admitted to not watch any college ball but yet you call Mayfield as the best if the bunch, he excites you the most. How is it he excites you the most out of all of them, is it highlight videos? 

Truth is IMO he is a polarizing QB and he should be one of the choices for QB but for you to be so sure while not being one that watches college ball it makes it hard for me to understand how your so sure of your choice out of these top 3.

Truth is IMO any of the top 3, Darnold, Rosen,Mayfield would be fun here. I watch college ball and for me to call any of these 3 better then the other is hard to do. All 3 excite me so any of these 3 please. If none of these 3 Rudolph is my 4th choice for draft value of not moving up, size and over all talent of his career in college ball at QB. Allen is a talent but needs a bunch of work just like Jackson who is more of a runner then QB and I think many fans have had enough of the inaccurate run first QB. 

So honest question, why you all in on Mayfield now over Darnold,Rosen?

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I can see them doing that too... But it just smells like the painful 2004 Draft all over again.

The top 3 QB's go before we pick, then the Bills have their pick of the scraps & hope for a miracle. Instead of getting Eli Manning, Big Ben or Rivers, we got JP Losman (and coincidentally at #22 like we have this year) as our 1st rounder. 

This year, Darnold, Rosen & Mayfield will be gone, so we'll likely get to pick from Rudolph, Jackson & possibly Allen (yuck).... 

I agree with your comparison, I also agree Jackson-Allen yuk.

IMO

Rudolph has had a solid college career and would be a good pick for value IMO If he is still available at 21. Sadly I think if they wait around to 21 to pick we could miss on possibility the top 6 QBs. Possible yes, likely no.

IMO waiting till 21 will have us miss out on the top 3 (Darnold,Rosen,Mayfield) for sure and a big possibility also Rudolph to end up with a  choice of Allen or Jackson, yuk.

Little crazy to think 6 could go so early but QB value is at a all time high and teams know if your going to spend on anything QB is it. If all these QBs go this early even Falk,White could jump to 2nd rounders. This could be one crazy QB draft for sure.

Sadly OBD with the luck and stupidity of trying to wait for maximum value of a QB in a draft for decades now I can see the Bills screwing up yet another draft not taking a QB till the 3rd or 4th after the top 8 are gone to end up with scraps again with QB draft talk set up for 2019 season because all we would have is late rounders in Peterman and 2018 3rd or 4th round scraps to fight for the franchise worthy spot.

Will we ever have a franchise worthy QB? Is this staff different or is the Whaley win now who cares about the future still OBD way of running things that have produced one wild card (thank you Dalton)after the longest playoffless drought ever in the NFL. If Tyrod is given the bonus I think we will have our answer.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1