Unlike some years, there's not much to talk about now

Shaw66

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Truly there’s a bunch but there’s not as much soap opera gossip 

Defensive line? Linebacker situation? Pass rush in general?

Wide receivers? Running back depth? Offensive line and whether we start 2018 with 3 new starters in the group?

Yeah, there are all those questions and more, but any discussion of it now is poor speculation.  You can talk about draft possibilities, but even that is pure speculation until we know what happens at qb in free agency. 

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I know most speak of Castillo. But WRs Coach QB Coach etc ?

if Frazier leaves and I think he might. That might be more dramatic in regard to consistency/continuity of Coaching method.
prefer he stays another year (Mrs Pegula ? )

Yes, WR coach, QB coach and so forth.

They're all WCO guys.  I was expecting Daboll to install an Erhard Perkins system and I've been expecting him to want to bring in guys who have coached in that system before.  Plus from some stuff Bean said about "maybe the WR ran the wrong route" and how poorly our WR gained separation, I was thinking maybe they'd want to try someone new at WR coach.

2 hours ago, Albwan said:

TT is going to be the qb. The lame playoffs killed any chance of improving, now we get to watch the rise of the jets.

I doubt it's Tyrod but whoever, the Bills will be better.  We won't be just watching the Jets. 

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I know most speak of Castillo. But WRs Coach QB Coach etc ?

if Frazier leaves and I think he might. That might be more dramatic in regard to consistency/continuity of Coaching method.
prefer he stays another year (Mrs Pegula ? )

I'll be a little surprised if Frazier goes to the Colts. Not saying he's not qualified or would be a bad hire, but I think that fanbase will expect something more after the McDaniels fiasco. Reich would fit the bill IMO

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, there are all those questions and more, but any discussion of it now is poor speculation.  You can talk about draft possibilities, but even that is pure speculation until we know what happens at qb in free agency. 

How did Hughes play?

lawson?

milano?

how many wide receivers do we need? 

Thats all non-qb, non draft, lots of x and o talk

There's never anything genuinely worth talking about. Other things are more worth doing.

But if you think who the QB is is a worthwhile subject, IMHO there are a bunch of others. Will we keep Gaines? Will we trade up? Will we trade down after we trade up if we trade up?

How many years will it be before we're genuinely competitive for a trophy? 

Lots to talk about, but all of it guesswork. Isn't that kind of what the boards are for?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

There's plenty of other stuff to talk about.  The new OC.  Drafting and signing FAs to other positions.  If Leslie get the Indy gig, what do we do there?  TO to HOF.  Zay's Mom. etc  ...

But all anybody WANTS to talk about is QB.

It's gonna be a long 3 months until the draft and then the complaining about who we did or didn't draft for QB takes over ...

All the stuff you listed there is to talk about isn't really worthy of any talk.

TO to hall of fame? Ok he deserved it.

Zays mom, I don't even care about Zay at this point.

Leslie won't get the Colts job.

No one can really conclusively say what the new OC wants to do.

The only thing worth talking about is the one you appear to dismiss, the QB 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

The biggest question right now is what will we do in free agency. All this talk about drafting a QB is really just a waste of space. Will we go after Cousins? Sam Bradford? Nick Foles? If we sign someone to be our starter then there is very little chance that we move up in the draft. With all the holes we have I hope we stay put and draft defense

Only you could make a post about that there is nothing to make a post about!

And you have 3 pages of replies so far.  Pretty cool.

For the naysayers, at least he isn't writing about nothing and pretending it is something like the sports people. Then again he has that luxury since he doesn't get paid to. :)

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

The biggest question right now is what will we do in free agency. All this talk about drafting a QB is really just a waste of space. Will we go after Cousins? Sam Bradford? Nick Foles? If we sign someone to be our starter then there is very little chance that we move up in the draft. With all the holes we have I hope we stay put and draft defense

Help me out here. Lots of posters have your same opinion. 

I can't understand it at all. Don't you think that is just what we have been doing for 20 years now? Avoiding the big risk and being losers because of it?

Ask the freaking homecoming queen to the prom for gods sake. Take a freaking chance. What is so wrong with that idea?

Hep me understand if you care to please.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I can't understand it at all. Don't you think that is just what we have been doing for 20 years now? Avoiding the big risk and being losers because of it?

Ask the freaking homecoming queen to the prom for gods sake. Take a freaking chance. What is so wrong with that idea?

We’re more than just a QB away. With the exception of the secondary, our defense was pretty dreadful last season. No pass rush whatsoever. The run defense got gashed pretty bad through parts of the season. Two of our defensive tackles were ranked dead last in league. And also if we move up to take a QB, there’s no guarantee that he’s going to make it in the NFL. All these guys look like studs coming out of college and then some don’t do **** in the pros. Look what Washington gave up to draft RG lll. 

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's never anything genuinely worth talking about. Other things are more worth doing.

But if you think who the QB is is a worthwhile subject, IMHO there are a bunch of others. Will we keep Gaines? Will we trade up? Will we trade down after we trade up if we trade up?

How many years will it be before we're genuinely competitive for a trophy? 

Lots to talk about, but all of it guesswork. Isn't that kind of what the boards are for?

Thurm - great response.  Thanks. 

Love the first para.  So true.  

Second para is what I was talking about and I don't agree with you.  Trade up trade down is all just speculation.  Too hard to say anything meaningful until the qb question is answered. 

Gaineas?  My view is that position players just don't matter that much.  A star yes, a guy who is just useful, you can always get another.  If winning the Super Bowl is the objective, it's like driving cross country.  If you're driving cross country, what shape your engine is in is important. That's like asking how good your qb is. IMO worrying about Gaines in February is like worrying about what brand windshield wipers you have.  Sure, the brands vary, but chances are the wipers you pick up at Auto Zone will do the trick.

When will the Bills be genuinely competitive?  Well worth talking about.   

And yes this is what the boards are for.  Some people find that talking about Gaines or the draft in February interesting.  I don't. That's all. 

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

In my mind, spending a bundle on Cousins is taking a big risk just like trading up and going after a rookie.  Last times Bills took risks like that was Bledsoe then Losman. 

Now, you may say that Cousins isn't the prom queen, but I beg to differ.  Beauty is in the eye etc., and Cousins may be the kind of gal that gets McD's juices flowing. 

Edited by Shaw66

For the naysayers, at least he isn't writing about nothing and pretending it is something like the sports people. Then again he has that luxury since he doesn't get paid to. :)

Three pages of responses is proof the the OP is correct!

3 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

You don't move up to take a guy just to say you took a guy.  You move up if you think he's the QB that is the guy for the next 10-15 years, the guy that can lead a team to a championship.  You ask what's wrong with taking a chance?  Because you'd potentially waste a lot of picks if you're wrong.

If they think say Darnold is that kind of guy, then they should move up and do what's needed to get him.  If not they shouldn't.  And if they take that chance and it doesn't work (as happens about 50% of time with round 1 QBs) I won't then blast them for doing so.  Can you say the same?

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

We’re more than just a QB away. With the exception of the secondary, our defense was pretty dreadful last season. No pass rush whatsoever. The run defense got gashed pretty bad through parts of the season. Two of our defensive tackles were ranked dead last in league. And also if we move up to take a QB, there’s no guarantee that he’s going to make it in the NFL. All these guys look like studs coming out of college and then some don’t do **** in the pros. Look what Washington gave up to draft RG lll. 

I agree we are more than just a QB away. But look at it my way a second.

How many years are there where there are no defensive players worth drafting? I would say none. Same with offense.

Except quarterback. There are years with no good ones, at all. 

How many years with no decent free agent quarterbacks to get? I would say there are almost never good ones available in free agency.

Whereas there is very often a good crop of free agent players at other spots.

I also think the more we build and strengthen at the pother spots, the better the record will be, and we will pick even lower and have even less chance at a good prospect.

I don't want them to spend a couple of years building the team and then still be a quarterback away. The "quarterback away" can last forever. Everything else you can take care of with just a little intelligence and a little luck. 

Can you at least see it my way a little bit?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I agree we are more than just a QB away. But look at it my way a second.

How many years are there where there are no defensive players worth drafting? I would say none. Same with offense.

Except quarterback. There are years with no good ones, at all. 

How many years with no decent free agent quarterbacks to get? I would say there are almost never good ones available in free agency.

Whereas there is very often a good crop of free agent players at other spots.

I also think the more we build and strengthen at the pother spots, the better the record will be, and we will pick even lower and have even less chance at a good prospect.

I don't want them to spend a couple of years building the team and then still be a quarterback away. The "quarterback away" can last forever. Everything else you can take care of with just a little intelligence and a little luck. 

Can you at least see it my way a little bit?

I definitely see what you’re saying. And even though I would rather stay put where we’re at and draft for other needs, I would **** my pants if we moved up to draft one of these coveted QBs and I would probably get right online and order their jersey. There’s nothing I want more than a franchise QB. A guy that will be a top 10 QB for the next 10+ years. I’m just skeptical about selling off all our assets to move up into the top 5. 1999 was a “strong” QB class as well and look at how most of them turned out...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You don't move up to take a guy just to say you took a guy.  You move up if you think he's the QB that is the guy for the next 10-15 years, the guy that can lead a team to a championship.  You ask what's wrong with taking a chance?  Because you'd potentially waste a lot of picks if you're wrong.

If they think say Darnold is that kind of guy, then they should move up and do what's needed to get him.  If not they shouldn't.  And if they take that chance and it doesn't work (as happens about 50% of time with round 1 QBs) I won't then blast them for doing so.  Can you say the same?

Obviously I dont want them to trade up for a guy that they do not want.

For all the we aren’t just a qb away crew, what are you guys talking about ? 

We held the jags to 10 points and should have advanced to the next round of playoffs.   That didn’t happen because we need a QB who can do more than “protect the football” 

Qb away is far and away the answer here, other pieces can be addressed with the rest of the picks.    We have a lot of them.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

There might not be a whole lot to talk about, but maybe that's because the Bills as an organization has a sh_tload  if work to DO.

The Eagles just showed us up by demonstrating what it takes to knock off NE... You need a coach who's willing to take chances (and knows when to take those chances)

You need a QB that can perform at a high level, and isn't scared of the moment.

You need an offense that can vary it's tempo and weaponry.

And you need a defense that can deliver big plays when needed.

Did I leave anything out?.... If I did, please let me know what it is... The last thing I want to hear from OBD next season is excuses why we didn't win the division.

12 minutes ago, #34fan said:

There might not be a whole lot to talk about, but maybe that's because the Bills as an organization has a sh_tload  if work to DO.

The Eagles just showed us up by demonstrating what it takes to knock off NE... You need a coach who's willing to take chances (and knows when to take those chances)

Did I leave anything out?.... If I did, please let me know what it is... The last thing I want to hear from OBD next season is excuses why we didn't win the division.

That's all correct, but there's not much to say about any of that just yet.   We don't know who the QB is going to be, and it's very difficult to speculate about QB play if you don't know who the guy is. 

We don't know what the offense will look like, so it's almost impossible to talk about improvements. 

Defense?   Yup, it has to be better.   But there's not much to say about it - maybe some talk about guys who are likely to be available in free agency.   Beyond that, the draft is completely speculative right now.  

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

In my mind, spending a bundle on Cousins is taking a big risk just like trading up and going after a rookie.  Last times Bills took risks like that was Bledsoe then Losman. 

Now, you may say that Cousins isn't the prom queen, but I beg to differ.  Beauty is in the eye etc., and Cousins may be the kind of gal that gets McD's juices flowing. 

I don't want to think too much about McD's juices. That leads to puns about "Kissin Cousins", Crossman's remark about his "fabulous loving touch", and why nobody will actually come out and say what "the process" actually is,  and then it goes downhill from there.

But in my mind Cousins isn't as big of a gamble as he may appear. I will be making a big post about Qbs including  aspects of that which few will read and no one will agree with, sometime in the next while when I get the ambition to write it.

In short though I would be ok if they went and got Cousins. So long as the use the picks to get him a top notch line.

And I will be ok if they trade a bunch of picks to get a guy in the draft that they like. So long as he doesn't turn out to have EXACTLY the long term shortcomings that the scouting reports say he has. That bugs me. But a if they trade a host of picks for a guy with a legit 50/50 chance, I am ok with that.

4 hours ago, #34fan said:

Yes. The Eagles had two Qb's who can play. That is why they were not finished when their starter went down. No Foles = no championship for them.

The Vikings had Keenum who filled in for Bradford who was filling in for Bridgewater.

The Raiders had one starter and our former starter  as backup, "all in with EJ" which is why they were done when Carr went down.

The Bills have no starter at all. Im am hoping the Bills stop being the stupidest team in the NFL.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes. The Eagles had two Qb's who can play. That is why they were not finished when their starter went down. No Foles = no championship for them.

The Vikings had Keenum who filled in for Bradford who was filling in for Bridgewater.

The Raiders had one starter and our former starter  as backup, "all in with EJ" which is why they were done when Carr went down.

The Bills have no starter at all. Im am hoping the Bills stop being the stupidest team in the NFL.

Veteran Journeyman QB's? -I have zero problem with that. -As long as their name doesn't begin with Tyrod, and end with Taylor... Besides, can we even trust this Daboll character with a young QB? -What's his vision in that regard?... Let's see what shakes out between the Bengals and AJ McCarron, then make a move... I don't particularly like what I see from this crop of alleged 1st round QB's... If we're not taking Darnold, I say don't even bother... You can grab a kid like Mike White in the 4th... Even take a small risk on TCU's Kenny Hill as a UFA!... D-line and LB seems to be what's biting in the early rounds... Why reach for what ain't there?

Edited by #34fan

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Veteran Journeyman QB's? -I have zero problem with that. -As long as their name doesn't begin with Tyrod, and end with Taylor... Besides, can we even trust this Daboll character with a young QB? -What's his vision in that regard?... Let's see what shakes out between the Bengals and AJ McCarron, then make a move... I don't particularly like what I see from this crop of alleged 1st round QB's... If we're not taking Darnold, I say don't even bother... You can grab a kid like Mike White in the 4th... Even take a small risk on TCU's Kenny Hill as a UFA!... D-line and LB seems to be what's biting in the early rounds... Why reach for what ain't there?

If you are right I agree with you :) I don' know much about this crop of Qbs because I haven't watched much college football. 

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We need a player to get pulled over drunk, get in a bar fight, or get caught with a gun in his car! Marshawn is too long gone. Good times.

EXACTLY!.   Marshawn and Marcel always gave us things to talk about in the off-season.   

14 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't want to think too much about McD's juices. That leads to puns about "Kissin Cousins", Crossman's remark about his "fabulous loving touch", and why nobody will actually come out and say what "the process" actually is,  and then it goes downhill from there.

But in my mind Cousins isn't as big of a gamble as he may appear. I will be making a big post about Qbs including  aspects of that which few will read and no one will agree with, sometime in the next while when I get the ambition to write it.

In short though I would be ok if they went and got Cousins. So long as the use the picks to get him a top notch line.

And I will be ok if they trade a bunch of picks to get a guy in the draft that they like. So long as he doesn't turn out to have EXACTLY the long term shortcomings that the scouting reports say he has. That bugs me. But a if they trade a host of picks for a guy with a legit 50/50 chance, I am ok with that.

First, I hope people here are tuning into your humor.   It's fabulous.   I love being your straight man - one mention of juices off you go!.   Great stuff. 

And I'm glad we agree about he QB.   I think what you say is right - I think the Bills have to take the Big Chance, whatever they think it is.   Sitting around and waiting for lightning to strike in the fourth round isn't a smart move.  

I think Cousins is the right Big Chance to take, because I think the future in the NFL - next five years or so - will require a good but not necessarily great QB.    What will be needed is a coach-on-the-field type guy with solid physical skills.   I'd love to have a Hall of Famer, but I don't think it's necessary.

But if McBeane don't agree with that conclusion, I'm fine, like you, so long as they do SOMETHING to get good enough at that position.   I don't like trading up, and I don't think McBeane like it either, but if they see the right guy, then they should go get him.  

And I love and agree with the idea that it's okay for the guy they pick to fail, so long as he doesn't fail for exactly the reason that the scouting reports say he'll fail.  

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Better where?

On the field.  

Football's about coaching.   McDermott will be a better coach in his second season as HC.    His defense will be better by virtue of knowing the system.   His offense may not be better, but the good news is that it can't be a LOT worse.   

I fully expect the Bills to be 8-8 or better.   ESPN predicts the over-under for Buffalo is 7 wins.   I'm definitely taking the over on that one.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

On the field.  

Football's about coaching.   McDermott will be a better coach in his second season as HC.    His defense will be better by virtue of knowing the system.   His offense may not be better, but the good news is that it can't be a LOT worse.   

I fully expect the Bills to be 8-8 or better.   ESPN predicts the over-under for Buffalo is 7 wins.   I'm definitely taking the over on that one.   

Wonder if they are basing that off of Taylor being the starter? Anyway I'm a Cousins hopeful myself, and if they can get him in Buffalo I would guess 10 wins, so definitely over for me as well.