2019 QB Class

Peace Frog

I think the most likely scenario is the bills stay put or even trade back one of the first rounders if another team loves a certain player. I believe Beane loves draft capital and wants to stock pile as much as possible. I see them drafting by a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Likely Mason Rudolph. Also that means keeping TT one more year. At 18mm or whatever its really not a horrible price. 

No, just....no. THIS is the year they get their franchise QB, one way or another. Now, if that means signing a Vet to be a bridge to a guy they get this year, presuming they sit still at 21 or take a guy in Round 2 or 3, fine...but I don't think they wait until Round 3 given Beane's comments and given how good this year's QB class is. I think they pick at 21 or trade up, JMO....

The other "holes" you speak of can be reasonably and adequately filled IF they get their QB because as we've seen with so many teams over the last 10 years. If the QB position is great, it elevates all other positions on Offense and the Defense's issues are minimized because the Offense is playing well....sort of the reverse how the Bills year was this year. Defense played well (with the exception of about 4 games) and Offense really struggled. The QB solidifies this team's place in contention for the next 12 years or more. Additionally, even if the Bills do trade up, they have so many picks BEFORE any other trading of players that between FA, the rest of the Draft, and UDFAs, they can fill the team. 

As I've said many times this year so far, I am probably wrong, but I really don't think Beane jumps up to get a guy when this year's QB class is just so deep. IMHO, and others are very opposed to this evaluation of Rudolph, but I think Rudolph in almost any other Draft class is a top 10 pick. He just happens to have guys like Rosen, Darnold, and Allen, ahead of him. I don't think Mayfield is that great for the NFL, but I've been wrong before so we'll see. As for Jackson, he will probably be a good QB at some point, but unfortunately for me I just can't get past the RGIII fiasco and think that while Jackson is certainly more humble from what I've read and seen and works really hard, I've seen that in a QB in Buffalo before too.....so, I would stay at 21 and take Rudolph or trade back and take a guy like White who I originally thought would last until the 3rd, but after the Senior Bowl and then Combine, it might creep into the 2nd.

6 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

The one thing I have learned from this board is that the next QB class is always better than the current one.  

Notice we have not heard a single person say that 2019 is better than 2018 for QBs. That is a huge pet peeve of mine on here. It’s the lazy person’s way of saying “get a QB now.” Some people were saying in 2013 “next year is better” while others came back with “next year is always better.” We ended up with EJ in the 1st round. All drafts aren’t the same in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. This is a strong QB class so we should get one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nice feedback, everyone.  I'm just playing devil's advocate with this topic.  Personally, I like the idea of the Bills doing whatever they've gotta do to get the QB that they want and hope that they not only get him, whatever the cost, but he is who they hope he will be.  With so many QB needy teams, we have to be aggressive to get our guy and we can always try and fill some of our holes with F/A signings or just give our rookie QB time to mature by having him hold the clipboard this season while we finish building our team next year; not necessarily stoned but uh, beautiful.  (Thanks, Jimi Hendrix, for that line!)

3 hours ago, downunderbill said:

Impossible, I've been on Bills message boards long enough to know next years class is always better.

Here we go again, next year's class is better. Same old talk always wait for the QB because the next class is better.

Truth is the team will always have big needs at other positions and IMO they can be filled in FA but QB has to be done in the draft and done early unless you already have a franchise QB. A drafted QB is cheaper in the contract.

Enough waiting and enough with the next year's class talk. This year has plenty of good prospects early and we have plenty of picks to move up, just do it.

If we can get one of the top 5 QBs in this year's draft (some order of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, and Lamar), they should. After those 5, there's no real interesting options; some guys with big arms that make Josh Allen's accuracy look like Drew Brees, some guys that can throw it accurately but make Chad Pennington's arm strength look like John Elway.

I wouldn't blame Buffalo for skipping the QB position if they miss on the first 5 guys and just wait until next year. I personally think they should at least try to take a developmental guy and kick Peterman to the curb, but we'll see.

In the 2019 draft, Drew Lock is the guy IMO. I wish he had come out this year to give Buffalo another option.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t look great right now but it’s way early. It’s nothing like this year, regardless. Francois is really good but turnover in coaching staff has to merge with his development. Finley has potential but I don’t see him as a top of the draft type guy.

there are always guys who newly emerge during the season. Ohio State has a dynamic pro prospect at QB  in Dwayne Haskins. Not a typical OSU Qb in that he’s a pro style guy. He has to win the job first but he’s expected to. He will be draft eligible as a RS Sophomore. Not normally the type McBeane would target though in terms of experience. 

You beat me to it!

I think there's definitely a chance Haskins (or maybe even Burrow) could absolutely light it up this year and shoot up draft boards, especially considering the projected "top" guys now would be the ~5th best prospects in this class.

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Notice we have not heard a single person say that 2019 is better than 2018 for QBs. That is a huge pet peeve of mine on here. It’s the lazy person’s way of saying “get a QB now.” Some people were saying in 2013 “next year is better” while others came back with “next year is always better.” We ended up with EJ in the 1st round. All drafts aren’t the same in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. This is a strong QB class so we should get one. 

Last year the Bills were in a position to draft Watson or Mahommes with their first pick. When you have an opportunity to draft a franchise qb you should seize on it. In my view it was a mistake. Instead of hoping that we can be in a position to draft a good qb we would be now addressing our multiple needs with the added picks. 

The selection of EJ Manuel represents little other how inept this organization was. The Bills took a fourth round talent and drafted him in the first  round. The EJ fiasco reflected bad scouting regardless what position he played. The drafting of EJ also demonstrated how absurd it was to have an old school scout such as Buddy Nix  be your GM. What the EJ selection represented is simply organizational dysfunction.  Thankfully that foolishness has ended. I'm counting on this regime to address the qb issue this year and continue on with rebuilding the roster. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Last year the Bills were in a position to draft Watson or Mahommes with their first pick. When you have an opportunity to draft a franchise qb you should seize on it. In my view it was a mistake. Instead of hoping that we can be in a position to draft a good qb we would be now addressing our multiple needs with the added picks. 

The selection of EJ Manuel represents little other how inept this organization was. The Bills took a fourth round talent and drafted him in the first  round. The EJ fiasco reflected bad scouting regardless what position he played. The drafting of EJ also demonstrated how absurd it was to have an old school scout such as Buddy Nix  be your GM. What the EJ selection represented is simply organizational dysfunction.  Thankfully that foolishness has ended. I'm counting on this regime to address the qb issue this year and continue on with rebuilding the roster. 

I will bet that the majority of scouting people have 4 QBs in this draft graded at least as high as the top guy last year. In hindsight (and at the time for GB) Watson was the guy. Mahomes hasn’t taken a snap. We also added a Pro Bowl caliber CB in the process. If we use both 1sts (as an example) and trade up for Baker (as an example) what is better Baker and Tre White or Mahomes and Josh Jackson? That’s the point. You draft to the strengths of drafts. 

The EJ fiasco is the same thing that you preach. Get a guy now. They did. He sucked. You can’t EVER draft for need. A good team has never done that. You draft the talent where it matches the grade. QBs always get elevated some but the value is all that matters. 

I think this years class is clearly better and the Bills are best suited to either sign Cousins or move up for Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen rather that waiting until next year.

Next years class IMO is not close to as good as this years (not with higher end prospects especially), but I dont think its 2013 bad, not spectacular by any means. 

Lock - Get used to being sick of hearing the term "gunslinger", there isnt a throw he doesnt like, needs to wok on checking down instead of throwing into coverage down the field, which he loves to do, but also needs to learn efficiency and utilize more quick set throws, recognizing coverage. If he can up his completion % by doing so and reduce the risky throws he could be in the 1st round mix. 

Thorson - If you are a purely stats guy.... Well bad on you, Thorson on paper looks like a JAG. If you can see the complete lack of talent around him and his ability to make chix salad out of chix $h!t, then you'll see a leader who I thought could have been in the first round mix this year. IMO he is more of a WCO type of QB, smart, quick decisions and the opposite of Lock interms of throwing the ball. I think he's the #1 QB heading into next year (injury is clearly a factor) in his ability to potentially play immediately, and I think he'd flourish with talent around him.

Eason/Browning - If Eason can win the job over the incumbent Browning at Washington he could have a big year and be a big mover heading into the draft, Browning maybe  the better college QB, but Eason has serious pro potential. Will he be allowed to showcase it? He'll likely be more of a 2020 prospect.

Stitham, Francois, Grier IMO have a lot of work to do, Bryant is talented but also has some work to do, all need refinement. Patterson I havent seen much of. 

Finley I liked a lot watching him live, but watching him back on tape there was a disconnect for me, but there is a lot to like IMO, and I think made the right decision in coming back for next season, could be in the 1st round mix. 

Next years Dline class is going to be spectacular! Potentially record breaking. Regardless, I hope Buffalo does not trade their 2019 1st. 

Edited by P51
typo

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Bills could have drafted a QB last year but their FO wasn’t in place yet. I think the timing of hiring a new coaching staff in January but firing the FO after the draft had a lot to do with waiting until this year. McD wanted his own FO to draft the QB of the future, not Doug Whaley and his staff because he knew he was on the way out and may not have trusted his evaluation to begin with. He wanted them all to be tied together - him, Beane, QB - going forward and the ability to give the FO a full year of QB evaluation before pulling the trigger. Jmo 

btw i was a huge proponent of Watson in last year’s draft but we’ve seen him a total of 6 games and 1 for Mahomes. Still very up in the air on what they will become.

7 minutes ago, P51 said:

I think this years class is clearly better and the Bills are best suited to either sign Cousins or move up for Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen rather that waiting until next year.

Next years class IMO is not close to as good as this years (not with higher end prospects especially), but I dont think its 2013 bad, not spectacular by any means. 

Lock - Get used to being sick of hearing the term "gunslinger", there isnt a throw he doesnt like, needs to wok on checking down instead of throwing into coverage down the field, which he loves to do, but also needs to learn efficiency and utilize more quick set throws, recognizing coverage. If he can up his completion % by doing so and reduce the risky throws he could be in the 1st round mix. 

Thorson - If you are a purely stats guy.... Well bad on you, Thorson on paper looks like a JAG. If you can see the complete lack of talent around him and his ability to make chix salad out of chix $h!t, then you'll see a leader who I thought could have been in the first round mix this year. IMO he is more of a WCO type of QB, smart, quick decisions and the opposite of Lock interms of throwing the ball. I think he's the #1 QB heading into next year (injury is clearly a factor) in his ability to potentially play immediately, and I think he'd flourish with talent around him.

Eason/Browning - If Eason can win the job over the incumbent Browning at Washington he could have a big year and be a big mover heading into the draft, Browning maybe  the better college QB, but Eason has serious pro potential. Will he be allowed to showcase it? He'll likely be more of a 2020 prospect.

Stitham, Francois, Grier IMO have a lot of work to do, Bryant is talented but also has some work to do, all need refinement. Patterson I havent seen much of. 

Finley I liked a lot watching him live, but watching him back on tape there was a disconnect for me, but there is a lot to like IMO, and I think made the right decision in coming back for next season, could be in the 1st round mix. 

Next years Dline class is going to be spectacular! Potentially record breaking. Regardless, I hope Buffalo does not trade their 2019 1st. 

Spot on. Gary, Bosa, Oliver all have top 5 talent as pass rushers. This year it’s Bradley Chubb and no one as big time pass rushers. He would be 4th out of that group of the first 3 are eligible. Imo

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I will bet that the majority of scouting people have 4 QBs in this draft graded at least as high as the top guy last year. In hindsight (and at the time for GB) Watson was the guy. Mahomes hasn’t taken a snap. We also added a Pro Bowl caliber CB in the process. If we use both 1sts (as an example) and trade up for Baker (as an example) what is better Baker and Tre White or Mahomes and Josh Jackson? That’s the point. You draft to the strengths of drafts. 

The EJ fiasco is the same thing that you preach. Get a guy now. They did. He sucked. You can’t EVER draft for need. A good team has never done that. You draft the talent where it matches the grade. QBs always get elevated some but the value is all that matters.

You are stunningly wrong in interpreting how the EJ selection is a reflection of my position on drafting a qb. Please stop with that distortion and foolishness. You have done it a number of times. Let's make it clear what I have often stated: When you are in a position to draft a legitimate franchise qb prospect and you currently don't have a franchise qb then you should act. EJ was not a credible qb prospect worthy of being taken in the first round. I wouldn't have been critical of drafting him in the third or fourth round but taking him in the first round was beyond being foolish. That's my position on the qb issue.

I am a big fan of Mahomes. I'm aware that he has played sparingly but grooming him mostly from the bench was the right approach to take. Andy Reid was confident enough to trade picks to get him and trade Alex Smith to move Mahomes into the starting position for next year. I would have taken him in a heartbeat even knowing that the Bills got a good CB out of the deal.  

The two names to watch and see are Eason and Stidham. Both are big QBs at 6-5 and 6-3 who play with major programs and have all the major traits you want in a top QB. Eason was actually expected to be a potential top QB this last year until his injury. Stidham grew leaps and bound as the season went on and he was sensational against Bama this year.

I could see those two rocketing to the top of the board if they have strong seasons. Drew Locke is nice but I don't think he has the potential of those two. Francois from FSU has some real potential but that knee injury is a major question. As for the rest well we shall see.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Also, one more college season changes a lot of things. waiting for a particular year because that class may be stronger is not the prudent strategy. Also, even within 'weak' classes, there are good QBs to be had. It is all about who you pick. Given the bills track record of dilly dallying on the QB decision, I would also be very very disappointed if they didnt pick one in the first round. I thought they should have picked one in the last draft as well but thats water under the bridge now. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Also, one more college season changes a lot of things. waiting for a particular year because that class may be stronger is not the prudent strategy. Also, even within 'weak' classes, there are good QBs to be had. It is all about who you pick. Given the bills track record of dilly dallying on the QB decision, I would also be very very disappointed if they didnt pick one in the first round. I thought they should have picked one in the last draft as well but thats water under the bridge now. 

This FO has zero track record wrt QB drafting 

Edited by YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are stunningly wrong in interpreting how the EJ selection is a reflection of my position on drafting a qb. Please stop with that distortion and foolishness. You have done it a number of times.

Sorry to break up your love-fest with Kirby, but as an independent observer, I dont think both your positions are that far apart. :D